Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 6:36:27 AM EDT
I login this morning to my BOA accounts (have several, all linked together), and surprise....my entire investment portfolio is missing.

I talk to the smegma suckers that work there, and through some "technical glitch", my investment account had been unlinked from all the others. I will not be able to access it until tomorrow. I can't make any trades, see my info, not a fucking thing.

Has anyone ever been successful in getting some monetary settlement from such a fuckup? I planned to execute a few trades this morning, and now that's shot....plus the stocks' prices went up in the meantime. Can I somehow reach through the computer and throat punch these assholes?

Yes, I'll be switching to another bank....once I'm sure all my money is secure.

Fucking nitwits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your investment account has been unlinked? Can you access JUST the brokerage account via a different website? I'd talk to their customer service and have them place notes on the account about what trades you intended to place- thay should have the ability to note a Memo screen or have them e-mail;t he info to their manager- and bitch all the way up their chain of command to get what you want. In this industry the squeaky wheel truly does get the grease....despite the things they'll say to you....."best efforts", disclosures, etc....

Word I got was that my investment account had been unlinked. Apparently they fixed it, but I won't be able to access it until tomorrow. Notes have been placed that I intended to place trades today, I felt that compensation was in order, and that I demanded that I be called back by a manager within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#4]
You wont get anything from BOA to compensate you. The wife and I left them because of their continuing to screw up our accounts. We were getting overdraft fees when there was still money in the account. We literally had $2000 +/- in there and we were buying general supplies one day. Went and looked at the account the next day and all three places we went to had overdraft charges on them and we only spent like $150 or so.

We went in to the bank the next day and presented our problem and they said we overdrafted and got charged for it. I said how is it that I have $2000 in my account but somehow I overdrafted from $150 in charges? She just looked at me with a blank stare trying to figure out what I said. I asked to speak to the bank manager and thank goodness he wasnt a complete idiot. He waived the charges. I then went to the teller and took out every penny that we had and cancelled the account. They tried to tell us that we couldnt do that. I told them I have the fucking right to bank wherever I please and they can fuck off. So I got a little more vulgar in my speech with them and they closed the account.

As I was leaving I told them to go fuck themselves and that I was going down the road to start a brand new account with Chase. Never had a problem since.

FUCK YOU BANK OF AMERICA! YOU DONT EVEN DESERVE TO USE OUR COUNTRIES NAME!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
BOA gave my sisters account information to a fraudulent insurance company that over the course of 1 year and a half, took thousands out of her account. When my sister confronted the insurance company on the phone, she demanded they send her an audio recording of her requesting insurance over the phone. She then received an audio file that had clearly been copy and pasted of her voice saying yes to questions asked by a computer. My sister then told them that she was going to sue them for fraud if they didn't make things right real quick. She got her money back in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
BOA misplaced (their computer lost all records, and they had no paper back-up) 2 of my grandparents accounts totalling over $900K a few years before they died. It took a lawsuit for them to refind the money.  

Moral of the story:
You are an Idiot if you bank with BOA.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BOA gave my sisters account information to a fraudulent insurance company that over the course of 1 year and a half, took thousands out of her account. When my sister confronted the insurance company on the phone, she demanded they send her an audio recording of her requesting insurance over the phone. She then received an audio file that had clearly been copy and pasted of her voice saying yes to questions asked by a computer. My sister then told them that she was going to sue them for fraud if they didn't make things right real quick. She got her money back in a hurry.

Yep,

They signed me up too without my consent
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep,

I told them I would be calling back with a 3 way call with my lawyer on the other line and they promptly fixed everything  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#9]
This kind of helps my decision to close my account with them then.  I only have a CC with them, thank god, but they have screwed up way too much for me to be comfortable with using them any longer.

About a year ago, I started making payments on line...somehow, my payments to my CC were being credited to someone else's account.  I called to bitch, they said I was now being investigated on a basis of committing CC fraud, for something THEY were fucking up.    Issue was eventually resolved, got credited for all payments, but they couldn't figure out what the hell was going on for almost three months and accused me of fraud at first.

Now, all of a sudden I'm getting charged $13 a month for some "service" from them that I didn't not consent to.  Called, argued, swore at them...they finally admitted I didn't sign up for their "service" and said they'd issue a refund...in two to three months.  I said I would NOT pay any charges associated with this "service", and they said that's fine, but that I would still be responsible for any interest due to not paying for this charge on time.  Also got this all cleared up, but I'm not waiting around for a next time.

F BoA (and FBHO while I'm at it)...my account is going to get closed at the end of this month now.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BOA misplaced (their computer lost all records, and they had no paper back-up) 2 of my grandparents accounts totalling over $900K a few years before they died. It took a lawsuit for them to refind the money.  

Moral of the story:

I've been with them for 15 years now without a problem.

edit.. fixed my horrible english.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#11]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:
I've been when them for 15 years now without a problem.

Same here, no problems.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Moral of the story:

Lots of NCNB folks in Texas have been.  The problem is that if/when they do have an issue, it is nearly impossible to get them to fix it.  I had several small issues and then a large one, and getting them fixed (in one case it was simple math) (none were my problems) nearly took an act of Congress.

ETA:

It's not that I don't understand how backing out errors in large operations work –– I do.  When you have no apparent procedure or training to fix the errors –– that's where it looks a lot like the exception process is actually designed to make a modest amount of money by getting people to give up, exactly like Verizon's non-procedures for getting refunds when you cancel your account due to service issues.  American companies, particularly large ones, aren't run by idiots.  They may have procedures that only make sense in a vacuum, to people who have only worked in that company, but there is almost always a process of some sort.  When there isn't, that's the process, and BofA's inability to fix things cannot possibly be an accident.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I logged in to B of A online banking this morning.

The good news is:  I have your investment portfolio under my name now.

The bad news is:  All of your investments have tanked, and your portfolio is worthless.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Moral of the story:

Well, you are one of the few.

BofA put "imaginary" money in my savings account one day. Thinking nothing of it, (i have several auto-transfers set up), i used the money. When they realized their mistake, they pulled the money, which overdrew my account, which caused an overdraft, which overdrew my account, which caused an overdraft, which over... you see where this is going?

2 weeks of arguing with everyone from the tellers to the branch manager. Finally i said the words lawyer and i'm suing, and everything magically cleared itself up in a matter of hours.

BofA, go fuck yerself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Every time I PCSed, BoA has  locked my account for "fraud protection".  Nothing like being in the middle of nowhere and having ALL of your plastic (credit and debit) locked.  

It took this happening 4 seperate times for me to learn.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm they are all I use and Ive had nothing but great experiences with them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#17]
BOA is run from the 9th circle of hell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,

I told them I would be calling back with a 3 way call with my lawyer on the other line and they promptly fixed everything  

Interesting. Did your lawyer pursue any further investigations? What was your story?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Moral of the story:

This is the truth. I've heard lots and lots of bad dealings with them. One or two, ok. Hundreds of people can't all be crazy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#20]
BTW, BOA also charges a monthly account fee, in which they charge you for using BOA.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Moral of the story:

BofA put "imaginary" money in my savings account one day. Thinking nothing of it, (i have several auto-transfers set up), i used the money. When they realized their mistake, they pulled the money, which overdrew my account, which caused an overdraft, which overdrew my account, which caused an overdraft, which over... you see where this is going?

2 weeks of arguing with everyone from the tellers to the branch manager. Finally i said the words lawyer and i'm suing, and everything magically cleared itself up in a matter of hours.

BofA, go fuck yerself.

That's ultimately what it took in my case –– they had misplaced (and I do think that it was a mistake) a large amount of money.  I have CDs for that "6 months" of emergency funds that people are supposed to have (two years, in my case, after seeing how long it took the tech crash to work its way out of the system in 2001) and they each (one of the 8) roll over quarterly.  I have been doing this since I was 23.  Once a quarter, a CD matures and I put it back in.  Well, one of them disappeared.  Now, I had been with the same bank (sort of) as it changed names a bunch of times and finally wound up being BofA, and until about when the NCNB/Nations signs came down and the BofA signs went up, I hadn't had an issue.  Given that it was NCNB taking over BofA, I didn't expect an issue.  Well, something changed and they apparently had about 45 days of computer issues about that time and somewhere in there the CD disappeared.  I brought in the paperwork, noted the very, very long record of doing this, and asked them to clear it up.  They didn't get to it for two weeks, and in the third week I asked for a timeline. I got essentially nowhere.  That stumped me.  I got pretty serious at that point and identified during my discussion with the branch manager (that he referred to as "an interrogation") that a)he hadn't actually done anything for two weeks, b)he had no idea how to handle it and hadn't asked anyone to handle it, and c)he didn't know where to start.  I sat in that branch office for ten hours that day walking a progressively more irritated adult man through the process of doing his job.  By the end of the day, we had a ticket generated, faxes were sent, and everyone up and down the line understood that three weeks in I had lost my sense of humor about this.  I called back every morning at 10:00 AM to get a current status for another five business days, and then let them know that I was proceeding to legal action if I didn't have any solid information –– which I didn't.  I got exactly nothing more from BofA after I left the branch that evening after a full day of doing the manager's job for him.  The day after threatening legal action, the money was back in my account, but without any interest or documentation.  That took another month.  At the end of the process which was almost completely driven by me, I had another CD coming up and I asked them if I could get a clear idea of what happened and how they were taking steps to make sure that it didn't happen again.  They didn't bother to respond.  I pulled all of my money out, taking a hit on the CDs at that point.  Then they called me at home to ask if there was anything to do to keep my business.

I am not the customer from hell.  I am pretty set in my patterns and I literally ask for very little.  But, you know, misplacing my money and showing no great interest in discovering where it went does actually go beyond what I am willing to put up with.

ETA:

I would actually still love to know what happened.  BofA was purchased by NCNB in 1998 or so, and the signs didn't start coming down until 2002 (I think) and it wasn't a complete process for a while.  What it was described as by the folks in the branch was "moving to BofA's computer system".  I am really curious what that entailed.  Many, many years ago I did mainframe computer work while in college for a pretty big Dallas bank, and it would have actually been hard to lose money.  I really don't know how they did it.  Literally –– how something became untrackable,
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Shouldn't this really be in the Business and Investing forum?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Doing business with them is a roll of the dice.
I had several accounts with them for over six years until money started disappearing in 2008. Customer service was worthless and i only got back about half of what disappeared after fighting tooth and nail. I moved all my accounts to USAA and never looked back. They lost five long term active accounts over $80.00. BOA should have failed in 2009. I used to be one of the defenders of BOA until it finally happened to me.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Just FTR, this is why I said I didn't want any mortgage that I might get to be sold to a bank like BoA.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shouldn't this really be in the Business and Investing forum?

I don't think so. Scummy business deserve to have their flaws highlighted.

I had a car loan with Security Pacific Bank, back in the dark ages. BunchOfA<coc violation> bought them out. I went in to pay the last payment, handed the teller my check, and said, "I'd like to make a payment my auto loan."
She walked away with my check, came back and said, "Sir, you don't have an account here. I can't cash this."
"Let me try again, I want to make a payment on my auto loan."
Again she wanders off. Back again, "Sir, we don't have an account with this number on it."  <3 people in line behind me>
"Funny, you did the last 3 times I've come in here."
"Oh, we've changed our banking system, do you have the new account number?"
"No, I wasn't notified of any change." <3 more waiting on this 1 teller.>
"Oh, well then I'll have to look it up on the old system." Off she goes for another 5 minutes. "Oh, here it is. Ok. I'll be right back."  <more waiting - now 12 people in line behind me> "Sir, I can't deposit this check for you, you don't have an account here."
<slowly, so she doesn't get distracted by the shiny lights on the desk> "I Want to make a payment on my auto loan. You just looked up the number."  
"Oh, ok. Ah, here it's all done. Ooops, I can't print out a receipt. Would you like to open an account with us?"

Quality service like that, you just can't get any where!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
FBofA.      May they burn in hell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I had some issues with them when I closed my account.

I finally told them, "Screw it I'll pay*. But I'm returning every BOA postage paid card pasted to a packaged brick. Forever."

Ombudsman called back later- no charge.

*non payment penalty on a previous (spurious) charge their rep told me would be removed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#28]
they can lose my credit card debit with them if they'd like
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Moral of the story:

I've been with them for 15 years now without a problem.

edit.. fixed my horrible english.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#30]
One more. My sister in law, who is a foriegn national, opened an account at BoA with her husband, and my wife on the account to handle local issues. They travel here often and wanted to have a US account so that they could transfer funds instead of travelling with money. They came for a visit and discover the account was empty. They bank says they took the money out in Brazil, a country they have never visited. After a long fight, BoA is unable to offer any proof of a legal transaction occuring in Brazil and agreed  to refund the money. My sister in law immediatly closed the account and moved to the wifes credit union.
   For six months. BoA sends statements to my house charging $ 39 overdraft fee for the closed account.

My  theory is that if they have their name on a big tall building downtown, they're charging their customer(ME) too much and don't deserve my business. Credit unions for me....member owned, no stockholders to answer to, no fortune 500 execs making their big hit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#31]
My girlfriend had a BoA CC.
Before we left for Canada, she called them to put a note on our account that there would be charges coming in from New England and the Maritimes.
As soon as we hit Nova Scotia and she used the card for the first time, you guessed it, denied.
We had to stop by a Scotia Bank and do a wire transfer to continue our vacation.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I have worked for BOA twice, and I can assure you that their management works very hard to send a message to their employees and contractors. The
message is: "We really don't like you".

My BOA account was closed long ago, before I ever worked for them. I had to cash a check at a BOA branch once, and the teller was aggressively trying
to market a checking account to me. I told him no, and he said "...May I ask why?". He soon came to regret that reply - everyone in the branch heard my reply,
and an assistant manager came over to help the teller take 'no' for an answer.  

A quick Google will turn up the news story about a BOA teller refusing to cash a check for a guy with no hands, because he couldn't give them a thumbprint.  
The branch manager agreed with the teller's decision.

Oh, and those thumbprints? BOA turns them over to Federal LE agencies, voluntarily. No warrants or anything - all of them.

-Warren-

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well......we have a big call center near here, BoA, I know a few employees. None of them- none- bank with BoA.
We also have had a few poeple from here go to work for their investment areas- none of them bank there, either. Not many invest there.
I bank with a small savings bank, 7 branches, <knock wood> I get great service from them.

It is common practice to not bank with a company if you work with them.   It keeps other employees from pulling up and screwing with, or seeing your accounts.   I know this because one of my good friends is a manager at Wachovia and she purposefully doesn't bank with them for these very reasons.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never had a problem with them before, but then again I never will. I don't bank with them

My friend had an account with them, I paid my rent by depositing the money into his account.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One more. My sister in law, who is a foriegn national, opened an account at BoA with her husband, and my wife on the account to handle local issues. They travel here often and wanted to have a US account so that they could transfer funds instead of travelling with money. They came for a visit and discover the account was empty. They bank says they took the money out in Brazil, a country they have never visited. After a long fight, BoA is unable to offer any proof of a legal transaction occuring in Brazil and agreed  to refund the money. My sister in law immediatly closed the account and moved to the wifes credit union.
   For six months. BoA sends statements to my house charging $ 39 overdraft fee for the closed account.

My  theory is that if they have their name on a big tall building downtown, they're charging their customer(ME) too much and don't deserve my business. Credit unions for me....member owned, no stockholders to answer to, no fortune 500 execs making their big hit.

This is a good example.  The people who I know who have had no issues with BofA (and NCNB before that) and love them have not had any problems.  The issue is that when you do have problems, they seem to be almost impossible to fix.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#39]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

BofA, go fuck yerself.

Sounds like a teller that fat figured an account number when doing a deposit and accidentally put it in your account.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top