Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 4:50:21 AM EDT
So first and foremost, thank you to all who serve this great nation of ours.  Without your efforts I don't know where we'd be.  

Second, thanks for being so patient with the 175,000 that visited on 9/11 and the 125,000 that visited on 9/12.  Everyone was a professional and extremely friendly.  

Some pics in random order from 9/11...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Needs more Migs
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Needs more Migs

Closest thing I saw there:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]
That B2 flew over my sons soccer game at about 12:00 on Saturday. The kids stopped right in the middle of the field and were all staring at it! Neat stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it was a great day for an airshow.   Great turnout there.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The B2 did a fly by at Rickenbacker ANG base in Columbus Oh too.  Nice pics, I really wish the Chair Force would bring a B-52 to the Cleveland show.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The B2 did a fly by at Rickenbacker ANG base in Columbus Oh too.  Nice pics, I really wish the Chair Force would bring a B-52 to the Cleveland show.

Burke-Lakefront is unable to accomodate a B-52.  They B-52s require a longer and wider runway, as well as wider taxiways.  BKL's runways are pretty short, for large aircraft.  Their longest runway is 6198 ft x 150 ft.  The B-52 has an unusally high minimum requirement for taxiway widths.

Edit - at comment in red.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burke-Lakefront is unable to accomodate a B-52.  They B-52s require a longer and wider runway, as well as wider taxiways.  BKL's runways are pretty short, for large aircraft.  Their longest runway is 6198 ft x 150 ft.  The B-52 has an unusally high minimum requirement for taxiway widths.

LOL, sorry I'm a Squid, I had to take the jab.  I forgot about the wing wheels on the Buff.  You guys don't even put your fast movers on the ground at BKL, they all either land at CLE or just fly by.  It's all good, it's funny  to watch the old guys I work with at CLE start to freak when an F15 or a flight of F16's comes in looking for the break.  I miss working fast movers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, sorry I'm a Squid, I had to take the jab.  I forgot about the wing wheels on the Buff.  You guys don't even put your fast movers on the ground at BKL, they all either land at CLE or just fly by.  It's all good, it's funny  to watch the old guys I work with at CLE start to freak when an F15 or a flight of F16's comes in looking for the break.  I miss working fast movers.

There is a reason the air force won't fly fighters out of Burke. The thunderbirds and the air force stopped flying there because they lost a pilot to a seagull birdstrike. T-38 went down on takeoff after sucking in seagulls, pilot ejected but landed on the rocks before the chute opened.  The PD ( local paper) published a pic of the dead pilot on the shoreline, the air force was PISSED about that and didn't bring the thunderbirds back for some time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, sorry I'm a Squid, I had to take the jab.

The proper term is 'Air Farce'.  Get it right.  
Then again, I was Army so what do I know?

-K

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Great pics.

I went to my first air show last year, but it was a pretty small one.  I still had a great time though and was looking forward to going back this year.  unfortunately, it was canceled for some reason.  There is a pretty large one that is also somewhat local that I was going to make, but that one was canceled too.  
-K
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, sorry I'm a Squid, I had to take the jab.

The proper term is 'Air Farce'.  Get it right.  

Then again, I was Army so what do I know?

-K

Chair Force is more accurate.

I love my chair.

I don't want to go fix that B-52...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Good day for all, looks like! I'm diggin it!

Had to work during the airshow out at Davis Mothan AFB this last spring, so I couldn't go. But god willing, I'll get to see it next year.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, I've been in 6 years and have only attended one air show.

2008 Aviation Nation @ Nellis... Only because I was voluntold to work as a fuel dispatcher.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason the air force won't fly fighters out of Burke. The thunderbirds and the air force stopped flying there because they lost a pilot to a seagull birdstrike. T-38 went down on takeoff after sucking in seagulls, pilot ejected but landed on the rocks before the chute opened.  The PD ( local paper) published a pic of the dead pilot on the shoreline, the air force was PISSED about that and didn't bring the thunderbirds back for some time.

I knew about the crash, but I didn't know the PD published a pic of the pilot!  I was a kid, only 1 yr old, according to what my Google-fu just located when the crash happened.   You would think that they would bring them back now 29 years later though...     "September 8, 1981: Lt Col David L. Smith, commander of the Thunderbirds, was killed when his aircraft ingested seagulls and stalled while leaving Cleveland, Ohio. Smith crashed into Lake Erie without attempting to eject."
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Sadly couldn't make it down that weekend.  Always a great time and free.  Can't beat that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Exactly.  I took a picture of the whole plane but it is on my home computer right now.  First thing I thought of when I saw it was Top Gun.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had never heard about that.  

KBKL is a pretty much unusable airfield for most USAF fighters (except for the A-10) due to its short runways and no arresting cables/barriers.  Of course an Operations Group Commander can waive that, but good luck with that.  The Navy may operate under different rules that allow their fighters to land there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Those are some fun pics......I just love Airshows!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top