Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:01:21 PM EDT
I'm looking for an alternate for a G19 to use for CCW.  What is everyone carrying and why?  I'd really like something with a thumb safety, but not a 1911 pattern because of the maintenance/upkeep.  I want something like the 19 that will require minimal attention on my part and just work.  

I have a G19, so I'm not looking for comments related to keeping my glock (because I am keeping it).

I was looking at the HK P30, USP 9c, or HK45c.  Also the 4" M&P 45 or the full or compact 9 M&P (both with thumb safeties).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
the thumb safety is what you think you need, or does the g19 not do something that another gun might?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking for an alternate for a G19 to use for CCW.  What is everyone carrying and why?  I'd really like something with a thumb safety, but not a 1911 pattern because of the maintenance/upkeep.  I want something like the 19 that will require minimal attention on my part and just work.  

I have a G19, so I'm not looking for comments related to keeping my glock (because I am keeping it).

I was looking at the HK P30, USP 9c, or HK45c.  Also the 4" M&P 45 or the full or compact 9 M&P (both with thumb safeties).

Beretta Centurion.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Why in the world do you need a thumb safety?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Smitth&Wesson seem pretty nice, this may be my next pistol.
They make them with a thumb safety, integral lasergrip, and look pretty nice.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a 442 pro series when I'm not carrying my g19. I know this doesn't help you in the least.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep using your G19.

I can understand the logic of a BUG like a LCP or J-Frame, but I really see no reason to drop the cash on the candidates you have listed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my query as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been thinking about this today as well.  I am considering, in no particular order (all are 9mm):

1.  Sig P239, Single Stack, 8 rnds, 29.5 oz;

2.  Sig P228, Double Stack, 13 rnds, 32 oz;

3.  G19, Double Stack, 15 rnds, 20.99 oz;

4.  G26, Double Stack, 10 rnds, 19.75 oz;

5.  Kahr P9, Single Stack, 7 or 8 rnds, 15.8 oz;

6.  Kahr T9, Single Stack, Steel Frame, 7 or 8 rnds, 26 oz; and

7.  HK P-30, Double Stack, 15 rnds, 26 oz.

I like the slimness of the single stacks, but am concerned about ammo capacity.  Handled a P239 and P229 today.  The P239 feels slim, the P229 feels chunky.  

I have fired about 200 rounds through a Kahr P9 - its light weight equals sharply felt recoil.  

Trigger reset is best in the Glocks.  

If anyone else has any alternatives, please chime in.

-Sven
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine are a G26 or a S&W 360.

I cant fault either one of them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
M&P
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#12]
When what I'm wearing doesn't work with carrying my G-17, I put a Kel Tec PF-9 in my pocket.
Same controls as the Glock, so there is nothing to forget (like a thumb safety) in a "OH SHIT" moment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock 19 is hard to beat for CCW.

There isn't much out there with the capacity, reliability, and lightweight that can compare.

I would however say if you must have a safety go with a M&P9c.  Just make sure there is no magazine lock on the gun and you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Ruger SR9C has everything you're looking for.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure why you would switch from the Glock 19, but out of those I would go with the Hk45c. Those are damn nice, but I still prefer my 19.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like the idea of keeping a gun in my pants with a round in the chamber (even in an IWB holster) when the gun has no external safety.  I like the 1911, but understand it's limitations, it's maintenance requirements, and cost.  

I'm not here to discuss firearm safety and proper equipment.  I'm here to discuss other alternatives.  I'm most interested in people who have owned the G19 and other firearms and their reasoning for choosing one over the other.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When what I'm wearing doesn't work with carrying my G-17, I put a Kel Tec PF-9 in my pocket.
Same controls as the Glock, so there is nothing to forget (like a thumb safety) in a "OH SHIT" moment.

I am thoroughly experienced with the glock and 1911 platforms.  I've never had an "oh shit" moment where I forgot to manipulate the thumb safety on my 1911's.  Granted, I've never actually had to shoot someone with a 1911, but I have trained extensively in drills/scenarious that induce adrenaline dumps and have not had issues (simmunitions, shoot/no shoot drills, etc.).  I think what you are talking about would be a training issue, and not a problem with the equipment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Only if you like shitty triggers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW.  I carry a G22 as an issued duty weapon.  I carry a G27 concealed/off duty.  It's the same system so there's no transition hiccups, and my 15-round 22 mags fit and function in my 27.  Same caliber (.40 S&W).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't like the idea of keeping a gun in my pants with a round in the chamber (even in an IWB holster) when the gun has no external safety.  I like the 1911, but understand it's limitations, it's maintenance requirements, and cost.  

I'm not here to discuss firearm safety and proper equipment.  I'm here to discuss other alternatives.  I'm most interested in people who have owned the G19 and other firearms and their reasoning for choosing one over the other.
Glock's internal safety > any external safety, but whatever floats your boat.

Get an M&P or HK...

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I chose the G19 over many other pistols I have tried out due to the features I listed in a previous post.  Reliable, lightweight, hi-capacity, ease of operation.  

Other pistols I have tried:  Kahr K9, Kahr PM9, M&P9c, Sig 239, Sig 228, Kel-Tec PF9, Ruger LCP, XD9sc, Kahr MK9, Kimber Compact CDP II, STI Ranger II (Still carry on occasion)

Really nothing I have found could beat a G19 for me.  I actually prefer carrying a 1911 but I still need to break in my STI before I trust it 100% and even then I will still alternate depending on dress and situation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally, I like my Kahr CW9...but it doesn't have a thumb safety.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I now prefer an M&P9 to Glocks. Feat of carrying a loaded striker fired handgun is a training issue that you should be able to get over without too much trouble.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My advice? Untwist those panties and get over it. Myself and millions of others carry glocks and other "safetyless" pistols daily without any problems. Keep the gun in the holster and that finger off the bang switch and don't worry about it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like the idea of keeping a gun in my pants with a round in the chamber (even in an IWB holster) when the gun has no external safety. I like the 1911, but understand it's limitations, it's maintenance requirements, and cost.

I'm curious, what are the 1911's limitations and how are the maintenance requirements different from other guns ?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't like the idea of keeping a gun in my pants with a round in the chamber (even in an IWB holster) when the gun has no external safety. I like the 1911, but understand it's limitations, it's maintenance requirements, and cost.

I'm curious, what are the 1911's limitations and how are the maintenance requirements different from other guns ?

Well, for limitations I'll take capacity and weight for $500, Alex.

I didn't keep mine long enough to experience any maintenance issues...

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I see your logic regarding the maintenance and upkeep on a 1911. After all, a weapon that will last a hundred years will need cleaned and oiled on occasion.

Whereas Glocks tend to be disposable. Blow 'em up, throw 'em away.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then grow up.

You want a glock, but with a thumb safety, barring custom modding, you can't have it.  Deal.  Millions of citizens, both civilians and police carry no-safety glocks with no ill effects.

If you are THAT uncomfortable, then you need to seriously examine if you are comfortable with carrying or not.

The only thing that will fire a glock is pulling the damn trigger, period.  Don't do that, take steps to prevent that, then you will be fine.

Edit:  If this unreasonable to you, then you will simply have to give up some or more of the Glock features.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#29]

fnx 9

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#30]
When my G19 fails I'll let you know. I wouldnt hold your breath though because its been going strong for 20 years. As for the saftey.. It had plenty of saftey.  I wouldnt go carrying it mexican but in an IWB its just fine. Next post will be scared to carry IWB with one in the chamber because you dont trust the thumb saftey?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#31]
The Glock 19/23 is the quintessential serious CCW. You need to unfuck your mindset.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#32]
H&K USP Compact would be a good choice for you.  9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W, and .45ACP, pick your poison.  Takes some getting used to its chunkiness though, and new they can be kind of expensive.  Mags are ridiculously overpriced too.

I'll get laughed at for this, but look into getting one of the lower-cost 1911 brands like RIA, Citadel, or FX, and stripping it down to just a frame, then adding in parts that you trust.  The Philipino guns are are all (essentially) cheaper versions of the lowest-end STI 1911, and everybody loves those.  I would have no qualms about carrying my RIA, and even fewer qualms about carrying it if I'd spent a few hundred on the highest quality internals money can buy, followed by 200 flawless rounds at the range.  A quality officers 1911 could cost you about $700 this way.  More for a commander, since none of the Philipino commanders are cut for Novaks and you'd have to have someone do that for you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Glock 19/23 is the quintessential serious CCW. You need to unfuck your mindset.

Thanks for the new sig-line material.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I carry the G19 or G23 but recently picked up a Sig 229 and really like it but the trigger reset is hard to get used to on the sig after only shooting Glocks for 15 years.

If you aren't comfy keeping one in the pipe, I'd consider consider carrying with an empty chamber before moving to a new platform if you are considering adding an extra step to the bang switch as a safety measure.  I'm sure that advice will get plenty of here but for your specific concern, that is a free alternative.  My first year of ccw I carried empty chamber and didn't have any issues when I had to use my G19 when I was car jacked.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#35]
what about the sig 229? no thumb safety, but it has a de cocker.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I use a G26, It feels a little awkward...sort of thick but really not compared to others in its class...grip is annoying, etc. but for me my CCW is extremely unlikely to be needed to I value the size savings.

Glock reliability, proven 9mm ( I do love me some 1911s though) ...simple, etc.  Sooo many good choices out there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd really like something with a thumb safety, but not a 1911 pattern because of the maintenance/upkeep.

I'm not tracking. From my $550 Springfield to my $2,500 Wilson and everything in-between, I've never had problems with my 1911s...even with Wolf. Buy Tripp Cobra mags, clean it every 500-1000 rounds and a good 1911 will treat you well. I swear that the anti-1911 thing is it's own "phase" and fanboy thing these days. It's en vogue to hate the 1911, I guess.

That said, I've heard good things about the HK P30 series if you really have a hard on for the 1911.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What maintenance/upkeep does a 1911 require that other gun designs don't?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the new sig-line material.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Shhhhhh...it's a jam-o-matic platform that requires constant tuning and thousands of dollars to be made even remotely reliable. Just ask Gabe Suarez or any of the Yaeger Brothers.

That said, I own a few 19s, 26s and 34s. They're great pistols and all have their use according to my mode of dress or the enviornment I'm carrying in. I love my Glock 19 for it's capacity ("weight" has never been a problem for me...I guess I just buy higher quality belts than the masses) but prefer the ergos of the 1911. I'd rather have 9 rounds in a platform that feels like an extension of my hand than 15 rounds that do the job "good enough".

I guess I'm not one of the cool kids.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#41]
The ones you are looking at are great. I think you're good to go no matter which of those you choose.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Asside from the need to not have massive retardation? I dont think the game changes at all. Infact  a 1911 has several perks. Especially if its a stock gun and not some aftermarket hot rod

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhhh...it's a jam-o-matic platform that requires constant tuning and thousands of dollars to be made even remotely reliable. Just ask Gabe Suarez or any of the Yaeger Brothers.

That said, I own a few 19s, 26s and 34s. They're great pistols and all have their use according to my mode of dress or the enviornment I'm carrying in. I love my Glock 19 for it's capacity ("weight" has never been a problem for me...I guess I just buy higher quality belts than the masses) but prefer the ergos of the 1911. I'd rather have 9 rounds in a platform that feels like an extension of my hand than 15 rounds that do the job "good enough".

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+1
Reliable as hell, and more accurate than one might think.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#45]
There is no alternate for CCW.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your sarcasm meter requires calibration, comrade.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

........................................G26............................................

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

There is no alternate for CCW.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
M&P

An excellent suggestion. If you haven't held/shot one, you need to. I think you'll likey.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top