Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2010 7:57:39 PM EDT
My 13 year old son is complaining of testicular pain in one nut (left if it matters).  he says it's pretty severe,  7 out of 10 with 1 being no pain and 10 being I just cut them off with rusty scissors.

He's walking slightly bent over, he was jumping on the tramp about two or three hours ago but says he did not get wracked.  he was just sitting watching TV with the family and helping me reload some .243 for his deer hunt. It started with an ache and within 10 minutes or so, was at full pain.

do we haul him to the doc now? or ice them down and go in the morning? I'm trying to think what it could be. could be a twisted nut tube (whatever those are called) or maybe a cancer or growth of some kind.  He says the feel normal, no lumps,  they are not discolored or anything.  I am taking his word for that though.   Nobody in the house is volunteering to double check  them.

he's not crying or anything, he's just sitting there but you can tell he's in some discomfort.  It's better when he sits down, and gets worse when he walks around.

any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds a lot like testicular torsion. I would go to the ER.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Better safe than sorry. Best I got.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Now. or lose it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Testicular torsion can result in the loss of your testicle. Might not be a bad idea to take him to someone who can definitively say go/no go.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

yep, off you go -
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
GO NOW. It could be a cyst or the previously mentioned torsion. Either way it needs to be fixed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
concur with the above posters....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
ER NOW.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Most likely, it's nothing serious.  But, to be on the safe side, you should definitely get him to the doctor's.  Go ahead and take him to the ER.

(BTW, I'm a Testicular Cancer survivor, so I pay very close attention to the health of my remaining nut.)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hit it - bye.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I had something similar happen to me years ago.
Turned out to be a protruding disc in my lower back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Check for presence of a cremasteric reflex.  If it's absent, go quick like bunny.
Awkward...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
If your grandchildren are at stake, go to the ER.

Just be prepared for all the tough bastards who tell you you were stupid for going to the ER for something less than complete decapitation, and high health care costs are your fault, etc.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Torsion is bad. Take him to the ER. He'll get right in, so if it's nothing, you'll be back home quickly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Check for presence of a cremasteric reflex.  If it's absent, go quick like bunny.
Awkward...

ok off to check.

where did I put my latex gloves.....

ok that totally worked.  or passed, or whatever.   when I tickled the inside of his left leg, his left nut shot up in his sack like two inches.  That is actually pretty funny. gross, but funny.

so if he still has the cremasteric reflex, do we still go?  He is saying the pain is subsiding slowly but he's still real tender when he bumps them like when he sat down.

still go?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Awkward...

OK prime still has cremasteric reflex, which is funny to watch btw,   so should we still go?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
GO. not worth taking chances
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I had an ER doc completely dismiss one of my guys who got "sacked" during a football game, and did it SOLELY on that test. If the pain is subsiding, I'd keep an eye on him. But again, take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Where's his girlfriend at? Maybe he has Blue Balls?

Seriously, ER, now. Those are too precious to lose.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, still go.

Don't post about it on the internet, idiot, go to the Hospital.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#22]

I wouldn't be confident in my medical abilities to perform some "should I take him to the ER test".

Cause I would eff it up.  Take him to the ER to be 100% sure man.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Could just be pain from insufficient support while jumping on the trampoline.  Could be testicular torsion from the same activity.

Considering the severity of the repercussions of not treating testicular torsion, I hope you are already on the way to the ER with him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Better safe than sorry.  Go and get some piece of mind.  Go!  For the future grand kids sake!!!!

Never take chances with your junk!  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow. Never knew this could cause pain in testicles. Get him to Er now!
2: Kidney Stone

kidney stone
©iStockphoto.com/choicegraphx
For something so small to cause so much pain...

There's one type of testicular pain that will result in these words coming out of a doctor's mouth: "The good news is there's nothing wrong with your testicles. The bad news is that you have a kidney stone."

This illustrates another important reason why you should never ignore testicular pain: It may lead your doctor to discover a related health issue.

Though the source of the pain –– the kidney stones –– doesn't originate in the testicles, it can feel like it because the pain projects downward. These stones are compacted masses that develop in your kidneys from urinary crystals. Doctors aren't sure exactly why they form, or why some men are more susceptible to them than others.

Most of the time, you can pass the stone without treatment (though pain medication is often prescribed). You'll drink lots of water –– and then deal with the pain that comes when the small stone passes from your kidney into your bladder and then exits through your urethra.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#26]
GO!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had blue balls and I've seen several cases of testicular torsion.  Blue balls are uncomfortable.  The guys I saw with TT were writhing on the floor crying in excruciating pain.

eta But yeah, it's your boy.  Go.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Pain is a survival adaptation telling your something is wrong. A 7/10 deserves diagnosis and treatment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm an ER nurse.  I would take my son.
It's likely not torsion, but the cremaster muscle test is not really definitive.  Doppler scan is standard procedure in my ER.  The majority of scans come back negative, but I'm not going to be the reason my son possibly has one ball for the rest of his life.  Keep in mind, that even with insurance, ER visits aren't cheap. So I don't always recommend people to go in for just anything. But I put a heavier value on the family jewels.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Okay, so I did some reading.  Presence of c. reflex has a "96% negative predictive value", but "does not always exclude torsion".  Whatever you decide if you haven't left already, any nausea at this point is an absolute dealbreaker.

The other possibility is epididymitis. And I think I've caused enough awkward conversations for one night.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pain is a survival adaptation telling your something is wrong. A 7/10 deserves diagnosis and treatment.

Funny you should mention this. From my reading regarding the "testicular appendix"

"The testicular appendages are equivalent to the intestinal appendix (and some say hospital administrators) in that they serve no useful purpose and cause pain at random.

Link
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Okay, so I did some reading.  Presence of c. reflex has a "96% negative predictive value", but "does not always exclude torsion".  Whatever you decide if you haven't left already, any nausea at this point is an absolute dealbreaker.

The other possibility is epididymitis. And I think I've caused enough awkward conversations for one night.

He's got a little nausea but barely he says. We're at the ER now. Since I'm on handheld now and search sucks, what's epididymitis?  We are waiting to get looked at. Can't tell what's wrong with anyone else, nobody is speaking english.....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's got a little nausea but barely he says. We're at the ER now. Since I'm on handheld now and search sucks, what's epididymitis?  We are waiting to get looked at. Can't tell what's wrong with anyone else, nobody is speaking english.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epididymitis

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Does such a thing as "growing pains" exist, and in this area, and at that age?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#35]

ohshi, new episode was last night
ETA: Hope the son's balls are ok!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, since you're there, best wishes for your boy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#37]
It's inflammation of the epididymis that usually happens when things stagnate if you know what I mean. One doc I worked for once gave a prescription for "more sex" for a guy to give to his wife.

But the nausea is a worrying sign. Could be the stress I suppose, but it's good you're there. What I read says you have up to ten hours from onset to correct it if it is twisted. Hopefully your ER visit won't be that long, but if he hasn't been seen by hour 5 be sure to raise holy hell.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like testicular torsion. Glad you didn't fool around and went to the ER.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thing you went.  Any sign of pain in the nuts is a sign to hit the ER.  Epididymitis is a swelling of the tubes, it could also be an infection that is causing the pain (has happened to me).  Make sure they do a doppler ultrasound to be 100% sure there is no torsion.  This is the only test that is 100%.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Apparently torsion is not a high priority ER issue. We should have told them anaphalaxis..........

Will update after tests

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Blue balls?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#42]
No blue balls, he's 13 and not active.    ER doc thinks no torsion based on physical appearance but is ordering an ultrasound to be sure.   Said in his residency a doc missed a torsion based on physical appearance and he had to remove the nut. She he is going to ultrasound the nads to be sure

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Good news.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#44]
poor kidhope he gets better.

Been there done that when I was kid,and no im not going to explain it on here for the wolves of GD
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Ultrasound looks good.  They think jumping on the tramp he bruised the tube that carries the testicle in the sack.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm sure he enjoyed having someone mess with his balls lol.

clean shaven shack?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sure he enjoyed having someone mess with his balls lol.

clean shaven shack?

what the fuck dude?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#48]
hopefully the ultrasound nurse was a hottie.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#49]
If they were your balls, would you go now or wait till morning?

Yep, grab a jacket, it's chilly at night...

ETA:

See that you went. Good. Hope all is well.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

This or a Bacterial Infection.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top