Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 2:02:21 PM EDT
What order do you caulk around tubs and windows?

Do you prime, paint, then caulk?

I am repainting my bathroom and want to make sure it lasts. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Cock last.
Don't paint your cock, when it shrinks and swells, tha paint will crack.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
1st post and all that.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do you prime, paint, then caulk?

This is what I do.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I caulk, prime, paint.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I paint, then prime, then paint again, then caulk, then paint, then caulk, then prime.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Trim and most walls

Caulk, prime, paint

Caulk about 10 linear feet at a time and then wipe with a damp rag or sponge. The caulk practically disappears. Paint as usual. Wiping it smooth will leave a thin smear of caulk on the walls, paint after to make it disappear especially if you are using a wall color other than white.

Baths and showers and counters

prime, caulk, paint

Prime before you do the finish work like cabinets and counters and tile. Caulk where appropriate, wipe smooth. Paint over the caulk to make it disappear. Using clear caulk on counters.
To the earlier poster, If the caulk cracks, painted or unpainted, you have cracked caulk and it needs to be touched up anyways.

Dont use DAP, buy expensive caulk. Many previously good brand have turned to shit since the EPA made them go LOW VOC, and crack early.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I paint, then prime, then paint again, then caulk, then paint, then caulk, then prime.

You caulk last. Reason being if you paint the caulk, you'll have a mess.

Plus caulk takes 24hrs to fully dry.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top