Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 12:32:05 PM EDT
ATF was not involved......

LINK

FAIRFIELD, Calif. –– Two women were still recovering Saturday after a vicious dog attack the morning before that didn't end until neighbors shot the dogs.

Witnesses said that at about 6 a.m. Friday, three loose dogs pounced on 52-year-old Janelle Dalson, who was on a jog through her neighborhood. The woman’s screams woke one neighbor, who came outside to find her fending off the three dogs, which collectively weighed nearly 300 pounds.

“Course she was screaming and begging for help. You know, ‘please help me,’” said responding neighbor Gary Paquet, who choked up while describing what he witnessed. “They actually had her body up off the ground, and they were trying to rend her apart.”

Fortunately, Paquet came out of his house armed with his Walther PPK Handgun.

“Lead dog came up, and I shot him in the head. And he just dropped right there,” said Paquet.

But as the other two dogs continued their assault, Paquet's gun jammed. Just then, two other women came running up the street and the two dogs went after them. One of the women was pregnant.

“Those two dogs went right for them, and they took down the pregnant one and started chewing on her,” said Paquet.

Neighbor John Bettencourt also came outside armed with a handgun, and shot the two dogs before they could seriously hurt the pregnant woman.

“In speaking with the officers on the scene, they said that they truly felt that had the neighbors not interfered and come to their aid, that at least the first victim would not have survived,” said Fairfield Police Officer Kathryn Sommerdorf.

On Saturday afternoon, neighbors gave flowers to Paquet and Bettencourt for their actions.

“I was really glad both Gary and John had gun skills. Because if there was a place on this block where this could have happened, these are the two guys who could take care of it,” said Diana Paquet.

The lead dog, a bull mastiff has since been destroyed and the two others - which are pit bull - mastiff mixes - will likely soon follow. Police were investigating the attack Saturday and requested the Solano County district attorney's office file charges against the dog owners for allowing vicious animals to run free.

Dalson remained hospitalized Saturday, reportedly facing some paralysis because of the attack, which could end her career as a dental hygienist.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The conclusion doesnt make sense. Werent the dogs shot and killed on scene?

"The lead dog, a bull mastiff has since been destroyed and the two others - which are pit bull - mastiff mixes - will likely soon follow. Police were investigating the attack Saturday and requested the Solano County district attorney's office file charges against the dog owners for allowing vicious animals to run free. "
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Dumbasses need to learn the language!

“In speaking with the officers on the scene, they said that they truly felt that had the neighbors not interfered and come to their aid, that at least the first victim would not have survived,” said Fairfield Police Officer Kathryn Sommerdorf.

It should be "intervened" not "interfered!"

ETA: I guess it would be "interfered" if you were rooting for th dogs!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
if he had a glock it wouldnt of jamed
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
they need to shoot the fucking owners too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder what caliber the PPK was.........probably a .32 ACP......
sounds like one shot dropped that big nasty aggressive Bull Mastiff in his tracks but did not kill it.
Guy needs to practice immediate action drills....

Good shoot, and those women were very lucky to have two armed citizens
come to their aid.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Send everyone to prison, its the only way to know for sure, justice will be served....

Lets not worry about the details - irrelevant!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Could have been feral dogs roaming the countryside looking for human brains! oh thats zombie dogs my bad.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad there were armed citizens who intervened.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Obviously those peace loving, child hugging pit bulls and Mastiff were
assaulted by those women......likely they were just defending themselves
before being brutally gunned down......

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Needs more 12gauge with 00 buck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The go-to weapon jambs, huh?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope that if any of my unarmed loved ones is ever attacked by dogs (without myself around) , a competent firearm owner intervenes. It's one thing to have a gun , it's another to have any clue what to do when things get bad.

Growing up on a farm , on more than one instance we had incidents involving dogs ,ect, and you made darn well sure you could clear a jam if it happened.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If he had a glock the world would have exploded.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
sounds like one shot dropped that big nasty aggressive Bull Mastiff in his tracks but did not kill it.

come to their aid.

I had a Turkish-copied PP in .380 that ALWAYS jammed on the second shot.  I attributed it to magazine problems, but wasn't able to find the unique version of the magazine that the Turks used.  I finally got tired of it jamming and got rid of it.

Fast forward about two years and I picked up an Interarms PPK/S in .380.  

...jammed on the second shot every time.

I'm not surprised to hear about the performance of the gun in this story.

Good shoot though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I was in a similar situation. 2 LG pits about 100lbs I would say were attackin my neighbor.

short story ... 9mm TAP was lacking in the stopping power area.
the first one took 4 to the face when it charged me @ about 6ft. stopped shook it's head and ate a few more.
sure it worked but a little too close for me.

the second pit didn't want any of that and ran off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Lesson: Carry a revolver.

Nah, that can't be it. Revolvers aren't cool. Immediate action drill, now that's cool.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

come to their aid.

I had a Turkish-copied PP in .380 that ALWAYS jammed on the second shot.  I attributed it to magazine problems, but wasn't able to find the unique version of the magazine that the Turks used.  I finally got tired of it jamming and got rid of it.

Good shoot though.
I've got a AEG PA-63 , which is a 9x18 copy of the PPK , goes bang every time.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, but it would've surely K'boom'd

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Some people are obsessed with dogs being shot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I think Gary Paquet needs a better gun. Those ancient Walther PPK designs pale against more modern 380 guns from Beretta etc. Good thing they were only dogs, and not some vicious perp, he would be in big trouble.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#22]
If I heard someone screaming for help outside and felt the need to respond with a gun, I'd be taking my AR.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

come to their aid.

Good shoot though.
I've got a AEG PA-63 , which is a 9x18 copy of the PPK , goes bang every time.

You have been given a blessing by the spirit of John Browning.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Bull Mastiffs...Pit Bulls.

Whatever...they all got powerful jaws that can eat beer cans.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If I heard someone screaming for help outside and felt the need to respond with a gun, I'd be taking my AR.

I wonder is the story would have been the same if that happened other than you shooting all 3 dogs

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The conclusion doesnt make sense. Werent the dogs shot and killed on scene?

"The lead dog, a bull mastiff has since been destroyed and the two others - which are pit bull - mastiff mixes - will likely soon follow. Police were investigating the attack Saturday and requested the Solano County district attorney's office file charges against the dog owners for allowing vicious animals to run free. "

They were shot and one dropped in it's tracks, doesn't mean it was dead.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Story needs  more buckshot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#28]
who wants to bet that the women were anti gun flaming liberals ?

and a year from now will be back to work for the Brady Campaign ?

but i am glad that the neighbors were able to help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Glad there were armed citizens who intervened.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder is the story would have been the same if that happened other than you shooting all 3 dogs

[media]extremist white male brutally guns down 3 dogs with deadly assault weapon[/media]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

you must have much more practice than me with buckshot. I dont think that I would be comfortable with the spread

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Would not be my choice if going after an animal that was in physical contact with a person.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

you must have much more practice than me with buckshot. I dont think that I would be comfortable with the spread

He hit them with a PPK.  If he was further than 5 feet away I'd be amazed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would not be my choice if going after an animal that was in physical contact with a person.

It would be mine.  This sort of thing is practically contact range.  I've shot an  pittbull/chow mix tearing into the horses with a .45 before. In thru the chest and out thru the  hindquarters. Didn't slow the dog down in the least. He only changed targets and came after me instead. (collected three more rounds before the issue was decided)

Lesson learned, long guns for dogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top