Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/12/2010 12:00:24 PM EDT
Hypothetical scenario -

Tomorrow morning you receive a call from NASA. They inform you that they have discovered and confirmed the existence of an Earth like planet on the other side of the galaxy and that they have a top secret rocket ship which can fly there. They are sending a team of 200 people made up of military, scientists and everyday people in order to establish a human colony on the planet. The catch is that there is no way to ever come back, and no one will know where you went. There will be a staged car accident in which you will be "killed", and then you will be put on the spaceship and set to the new planet. The ship is a one way ticket and was designed disassembled so that it can be used as building materials, power generation, etc. Once you're there, you'll die there. Aside from breathable air and clean drinking water, no one knows what you'll find there. Maybe nothing, maybe a paradise, maybe friendly alien species, maybe space monsters, could be anything.

Your decision needs to be made right now. If you agree then you walk to the van, never to be seen again. If you refuse then you will never have the opportunity to change your mind.

Would you go?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Not a second thought about it.  Yes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuckin' A right I'd go. I've already told my wife and kids I would go if I ever got the chance. I don't expect a call though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
In a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd start driving to NASA the second I finished reading the letter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of potential Heaven's Gate members here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I don`t want to live in a can
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
sure, but we're unable to procreate in space so we should keep earth for young and productive, everyone else gets thrown in space.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a family.

For better or for worse, I am staying here for them.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lots of potential Heaven's Gate members here.

I for one know the difference between believing that aliens are going to pick you up in a passing comet and traveling to another world with the technological tools, resources and people to make existing there a possibility.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd bring my family.  Would stand an okay chance of it too...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
sure, but we're unable to procreate in space so we should keep earth for young and productive, everyone else gets thrown in space.

How do you know? You busted a nut in space and waited 9 months and nothing popped out of her?

Proof?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
what kind of weapons do i get to bring? if i'm armed, i'll sure as hell go. nothing tying me down here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Wait ––- Is Obama funding this?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don`t want to live in a can

You wouldn't be, it's on a planet.

Quoted:

1.) Says who? IIRC there have been expeiments done on frogs and they did the deed. To my knowlegde it hasn't been attempted with humans. Except that one crazy broad with teh Depends maybe.
2.) It wouldn't be "in space" it would be on a planet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

what kind of weapons do i get to bring? if i'm armed, i'll sure as hell go. nothing tying me down here.

Everything you need will be provided for you. Weapons will be issued to all members of the team on arrival to the planet. You get to bring your ass with you, that's it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything you need will be provided for you. Weapons will be issued to all members of the team on arrival to the planet. You get to bring your ass with you, that's it.

You wasted post 44444 on that. FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
If I didn't already have a family, I would have gone in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#18]
No .
You are going to die on the ship.
Your great great Grand kids might get there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know? You busted a nut in space and waited 9 months and nothing popped out of her?

Proof?

WhenI took a class for human factors in flight this one thing that was discussed.  Animal embryo's will not advance past initial fertilization, there have been quite a few studies done.
Quoted:
1.) Says who? IIRC there have been expeiments done on frogs and they did the deed. To my knowlegde it hasn't been attempted with humans. Except that one crazy broad with teh Depends maybe.

1.) Says those scientist guys who have done such studies in space, I tend to believe them unless of course you know more than they.
2.) Well then more studies would have to be done since gravity plays an important part and if the conditions are not met then guess what?

Human stem cells behave differently in space here's a good quick read http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-05/stem-cells-grow-differently-low-gravity-study-says
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Of course. This is a perfect scenario for someone like me (single early 20's guy).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No .
You are going to die on the ship.
Your great great Grand kids might get there.

RIF.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ, dioesn't ANYONE read?  He said a PLANET.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading USED to be fundamental. On Arfcom, not so much.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
how many of the crew are liberals? if there's anywhere near a majority, I'll decline, as the colony wouldn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Would be hesitant about not being able to let anyone know where I'd be going.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#27]
why cant anyone know where we went?

i would still go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll go so long as the other 199 are women
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#29]
No. We've managed to fuck up earth in the short time we have been here, what makes you think space would be any different? We can not run from our destructive nature, we can only pro long the end result which will eventually be a hot nuclear holocaust. Mankind is fucked, it was fun while it lasted I guess
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
You mean the opportunity to do EXACTLY what my ancestors did, all over again, perhaps battle disease, savage alien creatures, establish trade between native aliens and the colonies, and the colonies and earth, and then perhaps sign a parchment electronic document starting with the lines, "When in the course of human events..." Followed by another document titled "We the People..."

Yeah, I'd jump on that...

ETA: Now that I read the post, I would say no. I would be afraid Obama was trying to lose me in a tragic orbital boating accident.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

100 women, 100 men.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

for fuck sakes, earths gravity is necessary for procreation, does anyone know how to read what is clearly written anymore?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

for fuck sakes, gravity is necessary for procreation, does anyone know how to read what is clearly written anymore?

Th planet will have gravity.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

for fuck sakes, gravity is necessary for procreation, does anyone know how to read what is clearly written anymore?

Is there no gravity on other planets?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#35]
yes, i would go
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gravity comparisons vs earth
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a family.

For better or for worse, I am staying here for them.

_MaH

This.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

im not seeing earthlike planet on the other side of the galaxy on that chart.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

100 women, 100 men.

Just kidding   At least just a few more Males just to have a beer with

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#40]
On the conditions:

1. No Muslims

2. No BHO

3. No Liberals

4. Plentiful bacon
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

for fuck sakes, earths gravity is necessary for procreation, does anyone know how to read what is clearly written anymore?

No, that doesn't follow at all.  SOME gravity is required.  No studied have proven that exactly 1G is required.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

im not seeing earthlike planet on the other side of the galaxy on that chart.

Tomorrow morning you receive a call from NASA. They inform you that they have discovered and confirmed the existence of an Earth like planet

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You want to be locked in a tin can with 199 women who have PMS?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Only if I could bring my wife. I imagine breeding couples would be valued anyway, though.

Not sure if the wife would be down, though.... Hey baby? What does this rag smell like?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd be torn.

Part of me would want to go, but I'd be homesick as hell & would miss friends & family too much....

So I guess the answer would be no.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof?

WhenI took a class for human factors in flight this one thing that was discussed.  Animal embryo's will not advance past initial fertilization, there have been quite a few studies done.
Quoted:

1.) Says those scientist guys who have done such studies in space, I tend to believe them unless of course you know more than they.
2.) Well then more studies would have to be done since gravity plays an important part and if the conditions are not met then guess what?

Human stem cells behave differently in space here's a good quick read http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-05/stem-cells-grow-differently-low-gravity-study-says

Give the ship some spin to create gravity. As much or as little as desired depending on where you happened to be standing in relation to the axis of rotation.

Again, the OP is saying an "earth like planet". That could, of course, mean alot of things. Venus is in many ways very "earth-like" but is obviously uninhabbitable. Mars is also similar to earth, but again is uninhabbitable, at least in the open and on the surface. Given the know how and tools, a subterranean colony might be a feasible approach.

Essentially we are looking at a small-ish rocky planet at the other end of the galaxy not the solar system. It has atmosphere and water, so it presumably has enough of a gravitational field to hold onto these things. Nothing else (ie food) is garunteed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes.

Not a second thought about it.  Yes.

^^^^ This...sign me up, im outa here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Umm... let me think about it...

<–––––– (checking avatar again)

Yeah.  I'd go.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And they all look like Michelle Obama, Helen Thomas, Roseanne Barr, Nancy Pelosi, Rosie O'Donnell and Hillary Clinton.

In Space No One Can Hear you Scream.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Glad I read the entire post before voting. NO

I will hang here on earth until there is a better offer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top