Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 11:13:35 AM EDT
WTF????  I make a 10ft X 10ft lean-to roof and put up the drip edge and it is short.

How much do you aluminum MFers save by shaving fractions of an inch of each piece?  F-ing sad.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a coupling with each length of material?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
They do it just to piss guys like you off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Same reason 2x4's are 1.5x3.5
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Doubtful its the same reason.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
My father has owned a metal building components manufacturing company for 18 years, ive been around the stuff since I was shittin' in my britches.

What happened there is someone just fucked up.

The sheet metal typically comes off a giant spool and is fed through a sheer that makes on big cut. If the electronic sensor thats counting the length isnt calibrated right it will cut it short, or sometimes long.

and since throwing a way a 43" x10' ft piece of sheet metal is like tossing out 20 bucks.........we unfortunately tend to just go with it.

Are you lapping your drip edge over or under something?

A picture and i might be able to help ya a little more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My father has owned a metal building components manufacturing company for 18 years, ive been around the stuff since I was shittin' in my britches.

The sheet metal typically comes off a giant spool and is fed through a sheer that makes on big cut. If the electronic sensor thats counting the length isnt calibrated right it will cut it short, or sometimes long.

and since throwing a way a 43" x10' ft piece of sheet metal is like tossing out 20 bucks.........we unfortunately tend to just go with it.

No, actually the lean to roof is exactly 10ft X 10ft.  It's over my shooting bench.  I knew I wouldn't be able to overlap the corners, but I figured I'd get full coverage IF the piece was 10ft.  I had to split the missing 1in on either side, so now I have timber showing on the corners.

No big deal, as I'll have shingles over the drip edge and everything is pressure treated, but I wanted to at least look decent, even if you had to step out 10ft or so.  It looks like hell now, but that's what I'm going with.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#7]

You're from MI.  Did you order Northern or Southern drip edge?  If it's Southern, it accounts for expansion during hot weather.(j/k)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
That's nothing new.

After I got out of the Army my first job was working in a factory.  They ordered 12 foot lengths of assorted thicknesses of wire that would later cut, bent, welded into assorted shapes.  One day, when I had a few extra seconds, I measure one of the "12 Foot" lengths:  11 feet, 11 and 15/16 inches long.  As they bought by the thousands at time it added up.  Soon afterwards they ordered a machine that would take spools of that very same wire and cut it into the wanted lengths.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, actually the lean to roof is exactly 10ft X 10ft.  It's over my shooting bench.  I knew I wouldn't be able to overlap the corners, but I figured I'd get full coverage IF the piece was 10ft.  I had to split the missing 1in on either side, so now I have timber showing on the corners.

No big deal, as I'll have shingles over the drip edge and everything is pressure treated, but I wanted to at least look decent, even if you had to step out 10ft or so.  It looks like hell now, but that's what I'm going with.

Yeah sorry about that, typically we make these things with the foreknowledge that they are going on a roof that is (x)feet long and know that the builder is over lapping them so it rarely matters.

If this was a stock piece you bought at a store then im sorry you got boned

If this was made at a custom manufacturing facility then hopefully you told them what your application would be and then you could probably go back and use that as leverage and see if they cant make you a new one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah sorry about that, typically we make these things with the foreknowledge that they are going on a roof that is (x)feet long and know that the builder is over lapping them so it rarely matters.

If this was made at a custom manufacturing facility then hopefully you told them what your application would be and then you could probably go back and use that as leverage and see if they cant make you a new one.

LOL! Out of all the roofs I've done professionally, I've never once measured a full piece of drip edge to see if it was exactly 10' long.

Like so many things in construction, I just assumed it was a "nominal" 10' and bought extra. Kinda balances out the 16' lumber I buy that actually 16' 1 1/4" long.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubtful its the same reason.

Well, my reason is "it just is", so you're probably right.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it at Lowes sold at a 10' piece.  It is probably 1 in 1000 that needs exactly 10' but hey, that's me and my luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top