Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 10:33:08 AM EDT
There's a 2008 Ford Focus a friend of mine is interested in.  The owner says it was involved a light side swipe, and the passenger wheel and tire pressure sensor were replaced.  In addition, the passenger side curtain airbag was deployed, and was also replaced.  However, the owner says the airbag and tire pressure lights are on, and that it needs to be taken to the dealer to have them reset (owner says it costs around $70).  I figured that is something the body shop that performed the work could have done, or that would have been taken care of prior to listing the car for sale if it was such a simple fix.  Is the "having to take it to the dealer to have the lights reset" deal legitimate?  I suppose there may be receipts for the body work that would detail those things actually being replaced, but I haven't confirmed anything like that.  The owner says the title is clean and clear and shows no accident history.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone that owns a Ford is a mechanic.

IIRC, there is a key sequence that you can use in the ignition to reset the warning lights.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#2]
You might come to find theres no sensor and no airbag, I dunno.

Yes, whoever repaired that stuff should have handled the light issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Never buy a car that is marketed towards college kids and/or "economy minded" folks.

Tell her to find a Toyota or a Honda.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might come to find theres no sensor and no airbag, I dunno..

That was my suspicion.  Hence the wondering if only a dealer could handle resetting those lights deal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top