Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 10:28:13 AM EDT
My wife is allergic to cats, apparently.  We found out after getting two kittens for the kids (she was never allergic to our older cats strangely enough...).

At any rate we are looking for a whole home air purifier.

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea on how much it will cost?  And are they effective at helping people who are allergic to their pets?

Are we better off just getting a room unit and putting it in our bedroom?

TIA,

Corey
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Change your AC filter with good ones and often. I don't think anyone makes good sitting units.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#2]
No, not really. They can be dangerous to your health due in part to generating excessive amounts of Ozone. You may be better off using antihistamine OTC Benedril or similar for her allergies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
As a person with severe cat allergy, I think you're probably going to have to lose the kitties.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

As a person with severe cat allergy, I think you're probably going to have to lose the kitties.

Here's your cigar, sir.

The simplest solution is usually the one that most people ignore.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No, not really. They can be dangerous to your health due in part to generating excessive amounts of Ozone. You may be better off using antihistamine OTC Benedril or similar for her allergies.

Yeah, I read about that.

What about HEPA and an ionizer?

And no one has any experience with whole home purifiers?  Even without the cat issue, I could still see the benefits of cleaner air.

Corey
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Forget the "room style" air cleaners.

They are a joke.

Look at the Aprilaire 5000 electronic air cleaner, or wait a couple of months for the new Honeywell TrueCLEAN.

You will have to get with a local contractor for pricing because those have to be installed in your duct work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Avoid the ozone purifiers - that stuff is really bad for you.  A good hepa filter can take a lot of particulates out of the air.  If you get one and also make the effort to keep the house clean (frequent mopping) and the cats clean (??), maybe everybody can coexist.

Otherwise, finding a new home for the cats might be best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top