Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 9:07:43 AM EDT
My 2006 Explorer needs a new battery before winter.  Which brands to you guys recommend, and which should I avoid?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Taggage.

My 2005 Xterra has been limping along on one that I sometimes have to put on the charger to get it back up to start.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Put a Napa battery in our '04.  The original finally crapped out after 6 years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a battery made by Odyssey Batteries.  They are the best batteries out there and have a great warranty.  Diehard Platinum are made by Odyssey and are a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like Optima Batteries.

That is what I run in all of my vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been very pleased with the Optimas.

I live in an area where the heat often kills a standard battery in 2 or 3 years.  The Optimas are lasting over 5 years, plus when they do die there is some warning that its coming - not just a no start one day.

They cost more, but I've got better things to do than change batteries or get stuck somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Interstate.......
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#8]
15 years and still going on a red top Optima. I guess you know what I use now in all of my vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interstate.......

X2

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I run Optima red tops in all my vehicles.

Never had a problem in any weather.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Get a battery made by Odyssey Batteries.  They are the best batteries out there and have a great warranty.  Diehard Platinum are made by Odyssey and are a good deal.

if you really want the best, get an odyssey.  Most people say they do, then find out what these cost.  Of course these are the only batteries made from virgin lead, and will really last the entire warranty.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish I knew what came OEM in my 02 Liberty- 8 yrs later and its still running strong.
Im not going to replace it until it needs it. Stay tuned.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Just about all the major brands are now made by either Johnson Controls or Exide.

ACDelco - Johnson Controls
Advance Auto - Johnson Controls
AutoCraft - Johnson Controls
Autolite - Exide
AutoZone - Johnson Controls
Bosch  - Johnson Controls
Champion - Johnson Controls
Costco - Johnson Controls
Delco -  Johnson Controls
Delco-Remy - Exide
DieHard - Johnson Controls
Duralast - Johnson Controls
Equalizer - Johnson Controls
EverStart (Wal-Mart) - Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
Firestone - Johnson Controls
Interstate - Johnson Controls
Marathon - Exide
Motorcraft - Johnson Controls
NAPA - Exide
Optima - Johnson Controls
Orbital - Exide
Pep Boys - Johnson Controls
Sears - Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
Wal-Mart - Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model

East Penn Mfg. still manufactures their Deka brand in-house - Top-quality stuff. You can buy 'em at Car Quest.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess I should have asked where to get your recommended battery as well.  Diehards are Sears, right?  Interstate I think I can get at NTB/Merchants?  Odyssey?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Go with the Diehard Platinum(s). A call to Odyssey even confirmed they are the same battery. Less money, and if it dies prematurely you can take it to Sears for replacement instead of having to ship it back to Odyssey.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go with the Diehard Platinum(s). A call to Odyssey even confirmed they are the same battery. Less money, and if it dies prematurely you can take it to Sears for replacement instead of having to ship it back to Odyssey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/triuneself/P1000130.jpg?t=1284313084

Nice.  Sears has 10% off batteries today too!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Duralast Golds if going typical wet cell.  They have an extremely good reputation among both the four-wheeler and diesel truck communities.

Sears Diehard Platinums if going AGM.

I used to be a diehard (pardon the pun) Optima fan.  After two premature failures - no more.  And Opitma batteries have an extremely poor reputation over on Pirate4x4, the Arfcom of off-roading.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Just recently purchase a Duralast Gold from autozone.  About $115.00 out the door before exchange.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Optima.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Pretty much ALL batteries, including Optima, are made or owned by Johnson Controls...

The Walmart Batteries fall under this category...buy one.

Your other choice would be Exide...Go to NAPA if you want one of those.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#21]
i use walmart as batteries turn to shit very fast down here south fl
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had good luck with Exide.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just about all the major brands are now made by either Johnson Controls or Exide.

ACDelco - Johnson Controls
Advance Auto - Johnson Controls
AutoCraft - Johnson Controls
Autolite - Exide
AutoZone - Johnson Controls
Bosch  - Johnson Controls
Champion - Johnson Controls
Costco - Johnson Controls
Delco -  Johnson Controls
Delco-Remy - Exide
DieHard - Johnson Controls
Equalizer - Johnson Controls
EverStart (Wal-Mart) - Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
Firestone - Johnson Controls
Interstate - Johnson Controls
Marathon - Exide
Motorcraft - Johnson Controls
NAPA - Exide
Optima - Johnson Controls
Orbital - Exide
Pep Boys - Johnson Controls
Sears - Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
Wal-Mart - Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model

East Penn Mfg. still manufactures their Deka brand in-house - Top-quality stuff. You can buy 'em at Car Quest.

re check that list. i work for DEKA and we make most of the batteries listed here! walmarts were made by us until a few months ago, but sams club we still make for not sure about costco. we are making sears, autozone, advance auto and many others. johnson controls is the only company in the battery industry bigger then DEKA right now. they make up over half the buisiness exide is only around 7% last time i heard and DEKA is in the 20 some percent area.exide is about gone lol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interstate.......

X2

this
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Interstate or Optima
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top