Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:22:46 AM EDT

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/pants-size-chart-090710

Are Your Pants Lying to You? An Investigation
September 7, 2010 at 8:30AM by Abram Sauer

"I said, 'I do not fear those pants / With nobody inside them.'
I said, and said, and said those words. / I said them. But I lied them."
—Dr. Seuss

The devastating realization came in H&M. Specifically, in a pair of size 36 dress pants. I'd never bought pants at H&M before, and suddenly asked myself: how could a 36-inch waist suddenly be so damn tight?

I've never been slim — I played offensive line in high school — but I'm no cow either. (I'm happily a "Russell Crowe" body type.) So I immediately went across the street, bought a tailor's measuring tape, and trudged from shop to shop, trying on various brands' casual dress pants. It took just two hours to tear my self-esteem to smithereens and raise some serious questions about what I later learned is called "vanity sizing."

Your pants have been deceiving you for years. And the lies are compounding:

The pants manufacturers are trying to flatter us. And this flattery works: Alfani's 36-inch "Garrett" pant was 38.5 inches, just like the Calvin Klein "Dylan" pants — which I loved and purchased. A 39-inch pair from Haggar (a brand name that out-testosterones even "Garrett") was incredibly comfortable. Dockers, meanwhile, teased "Leave yourself some wiggle room" with its "Individual Fit Waistline," and they weren't kidding: despite having a clear size listed, the 36-inchers were 39.5 inches. And part of the reason they were so comfy is that I felt good about myself, no matter whether I deserved it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/pants-size-chart-090710

Are Your Pants Lying to You? An Investigation
September 7, 2010 at 8:30AM by Abram Sauer

Haggar has upped the ante with their new fat-pants .....hakis with a hidden elastic expandable section.     They expands out by about 3 more inches when you stretch out the elastic.   That's on top of the normal vanity size margin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top