Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 1:51:43 AM EDT
There are many versions of this, as he said it many times to different groups over the years, but I think this might be my favorite one, it was written by Martin Niemöller a survivor of the Dachau Concentration Camp.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak up - because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
and I did not speak up - because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak up - because I was not a trade unionist

Then they came for the writers
and I did not speak up - because I was not a writer.

Then they came for the artists
and I did not speak up - because I was not an artist.

Then they came for the students
and I did not speak up - because I was not a student.

Then they came for the reporters
and I did not speak up - because I was not a journalist.

Then they came for me -
and by then there was no one left to speak up for me.

-Martin Niemöller 1955

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3DI6iQlom8 "Normal" short version, but good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcridvxfLBo&feature=related Really long version, and excellent if you remove the libtardness they put in near the end.

It was written not just about the Nazi's, but also as a condemnation of anyone who would sit idly by while others committed great evil, or injustice.

Another quote to keep in mind:

All that is required for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
-Sir Edmund Burke

Don't forget the strategy of the left is to try to divide us, and come at us one group at a time, we must learn from history, and not let that happen, we have to be united, and we have to fight them wherever, and whenever they strike no matter how small of a thing they do, we cannot yield an inch.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender
-Winston Churchill, June 4th 1940

ETA: Should we forget any of this I fear we may find ourselves in a new situation:

.....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration Of Independence
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Excellent!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]

This is why our enemies have changed tactics. Now they infiltrate our nations and destroy us from within.

They use the media and the legal system to confuse the public as to whom the enemy even is, or to stop those who do know from speaking.

It is impossible to rally the world to defeat an evil that must not be named.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
"A nation can survive its fools and even
the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at
the gates is less formidable, for he is known and he carries his banners
openly against the city. But the traitor moves among those within the
gates freely, his sly whispers rustling through all alleys, heard in the
very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears no traitor; he
speaks in the accents familiar to his victim, and he wears their face
and their garments and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the
hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation; he works secretly and
unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of a city; he infects the
body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to be
feared. The traitor is the plague." - Marcus Tullius Cicero ––- 106-43
B.C.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is why our enemies have changed tactics. Now they infiltrate our nations and destroy us from within.  

They don't have to bother, we have enough of our own (politicians) doing it for them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

"A nation can survive its fools and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and he carries his banners openly against the city. But the traitor moves among those within the gates freely, his sly whispers rustling through all alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears no traitor; he speaks in the accents familiar to his victim, and he wears their face and their garments and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation; he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of a city; he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to be feared. The traitor is the plague." - Marcus Tullius Cicero ––- 106-43 B.C.

Thank you. I had this quote in mind, but couldn't locate it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Should we forget any of this I fear we may find ourselves in a new situation:

.....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration Of Independence
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#8]
you forgot ben franklins "those who would give up some of their liberty for a bit of security deserve neither"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top