Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 7:35:32 PM EDT
I have a Curve 8900 through AT&T, and I will almost always get a "radio path unavaliable" error when dialing out, or "call failed"

When people call in, I press answer, but it immediately sends the person to voicemail, and says I have one missed call.

I've tried removing and reseating the sim card, and I've called AT&T and they had me do a soft reboot, which fixed it, but the problem then came right back.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?  And please don't say to ditch AT&T, I'm on a business plan with them and this is what I have.  

My contract is up, too.  So I could just get a new blackberry, but that would mean another 2 year agreement, and a mandatory 15/month data plan. Which, when in college, I really don't need.  (I'm grandfathered into not needing one for my current phone)

Help
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw away your Blackberry, and go get a regular cell phone that isn't so whiz-bang––I don't know about AT&T, but many carriers you can just get a no-contract phone and drop you SIM card in.  My Blackberry gets that "radio path unavailable" all the time too, and it also drops calls like mad lately.

I don't know if it's the network or what, but I really dislike my Blackberry and would likely not ever own another one.  This thing was pure junk from day one.  Poor build quality, poor reliability... argh!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
welcome to AT&T!

but hey some twit in TN will be along to tell you its your phone and not AT&T inspired by god holy network.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a Curve 8900 through AT&T, and I will almost always get a "radio path unavaliable" error when dialing out, or "call failed"

When people call in, I press answer, but it immediately sends the person to voicemail, and says I have one missed call.

I've tried removing and reseating the sim card, and I've called AT&T and they had me do a soft reboot, which fixed it, but the problem then came right back.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?  And please don't say to ditch AT&T, I'm on a business plan with them and this is what I have.  

My contract is up, too.  So I could just get a new blackberry, but that would mean another 2 year agreement, and a mandatory 15/month data plan. Which, when in college, I really don't need.  (I'm grandfathered into not needing one for my current phone)

Help

Does this happen only at home or everywhere?

If it happens only at home you could live right on the border of two cells and what is happening is that when you make the call you're switching to another channel just as you answer/send. Imagine a bunch of hexagons layed out to cover the entire area. Every other one is a different channel, and none can have the same channel as the adjacent one. If you're making these calls on the border you might be making the cell call on one channel but then the phone is switching channels too soon so basically your call is left behind. Same goes for your answering. Maybe in your house some places are line of sight to the tower but others aren't. You can get crappy service then too.

AT&T has notoriously poor service. If you're in a large city or along a major highway, switch to TMobile, otherwise Verizon.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Throw away your Blackberry, and go get a regular cell phone that isn't so whiz-bang––I don't know about AT&T, but many carriers you can just get a no-contract phone and drop you SIM card in.  My Blackberry gets that "radio path unavailable" all the time too, and it also drops calls like mad lately.

I don't know if it's the network or what, but I really dislike my Blackberry and would likely not ever own another one.  This thing was pure junk from day one.  Poor build quality, poor reliability... argh!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help

If it happens only at home you could live right on the border of two cells and what is happening is that when you make the call you're switching to another channel just as you answer/send. Imagine a bunch of hexagons layed out to cover the entire area. Every other one is a different channel, and none can have the same channel as the adjacent one. If you're making these calls on the border you might be making the cell call on one channel but then the phone is switching channels too soon so basically your call is left behind. Same goes for your answering. Maybe in your house some places are line of sight to the tower but others aren't. You can get crappy service then too.

AT&T has notoriously poor service. If you're in a large city or along a major highway, switch to TMobile, otherwise Verizon.

Where I go to college is very close to I95.  No more than 4 or 5 miles.  And my phone routinely switches between GSM and Edge service.  Could this be part, if not all, of the problem?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
<––––- In charge of over 2,800 BlackBerries for a federal agency.

1) Backup handheld data

2) Reinstall OS (or upgrade)

3) Restore handheld data

See what happens.

_MaH

ETA: Get the handheld OS here.

Be sure to download and install the Desktop Manager if you don't have it installed already.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I stopped reading at AT&T.

That is the source of your problems.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1) Backup handheld data

3) Restore handheld data

See what happens.

_MaH

Be sure to download and install the Desktop Manager if you don't have it installed already.

Thanks.  I'll go hunt for my data cable and try that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Help

Where I go to college is very close to I95.  No more than 4 or 5 miles.  And my phone routinely switches between GSM and Edge service.  Could this be part, if not all, of the problem?

this is seriously how shitty ATTs service is, My church is just blocks away from a major interstate. while in church my iphone constantly bounces from Edge to 3g.

BUT HEY! YOU CAN HAVE VOICE AND DATA AT THE SAME TIME!!!! AND IT WORKS IN MOST OF EUROPE!!!!

fucking idiots. (not you two who i quoted i meant ATT and those who love their shit service)

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Backup handheld data

3) Restore handheld data

See what happens.

_MaH

Verdict?

_MaH

ETA: If an OS refresh or upgrade doesn't solve the problem, view it as an opportunity to upgrade the device, switch networks, or switch to a simple pay-as-you-go phone (Tracfone, other pre-paid service, etc.). Or you could drop having a cell phone entirely. Something I'd love to do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Backup handheld data

3) Restore handheld data

See what happens.

_MaH

Verdict?

_MaH

ETA: If an OS refresh or upgrade doesn't solve the problem, view it as an opportunity to upgrade the device, switch networks, or switch to a simple pay-as-you-go phone (Tracfone, other pre-paid service, etc.). Or you could drop having a cell phone entirely. Something I'd love to do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Data cable is MIA, gonna have to order one offline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top