Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/11/2010 5:31:13 PM EDT
so i got t boned by a red light runner today . My car is totaled and i only have liability insurance.

plus apparently i had a warrant for not paying a ticket four years ago that i honestly didn't know about so i got hauled in for that plus charged with driving on suspended .
cool story bro i know but i just felt like sharing. a bit stressed out.
the upside is my wife is oka and i am okay and thank god my child wasn't in the car because she would have got the brunt of the impact.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
damn, talk about having a shitty day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
sucks
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
forgot to mention that my wife has a scheduled surgery next month that is gonna cost me three grand which i don't have now due to bailing out and whatever this court shit is gonna cost me.

im drinking it away though.  Gotta have bad days for there to be any good ones i guess.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
HAd that happen to me(in so far as the suspended DL)

It took the state forever to fix it well after I paid(and I mean years)

If I got pulled tomorrow I half expect for it to still show suspended, computers arent efficient or something
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to hear you and your family are okay.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
meh, I go to jail 2-4 days a week.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Was the driver at fault insured?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you know your license was suspended?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Should have told them you was an illegal alien.
They would have given you a ride home and no charges.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
At least you got to leave...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
More to this story, unless your the dumbest MF in the world or you have some mental illness you just don't unintentionally forget about a ticket. I suppose a cop could have wrote down a wrong SSN number for a different person but the odds of that are like winning the lottery.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

More to this story, unless your the dumbest MF in the world or you have some mental illness you just don't unintentionally forget about a ticket. I suppose a cop could have wrote down a wrong SSN number for a different person but the odds of that are like winning the lottery.

They normally remind you with a letter in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#16]
If they other person Tboned you and they were at fault their insurance will pay, assuming they had insurance.

If not, then your uninsured motorist insurance will cover it, again, assuming that is required and tied into your liability coverage like it is here.

Good luck man, that blows.

Did they cuff you and all?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad you and the wife are okay.

Did you know you were suspended?  If yes, play stupid games comes to mind.

Hopefully the at fault driver's insurance will take care of everything and not try to screw you over since apparently you were operating on a suspended license.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sounds like he posted a cash bond and here he'd get it all back. Minor inconvenience really in the big picture. I have horror stories...

Glad you are ok, and just get someone competent to help you so it doesn't become fubar...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
..i had a warrant for not paying a ticket four years ago that i honestly didn't know about so i got hauled in for that plus charged with driving on suspended .

Go to the DMV or court to pay all your back fines and get your license back before your court date. That goes a long way with the DA and Judge.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like he posted a cash bond and here he'd get it all back. Minor inconvenience really in the big picture. I have horror stories...

Glad you are ok, and just get someone competent to help you so it doesn't become fubar...

Not when you can't afford to post bond / bail.

Now THAT is a horror story. Been there, done that, Kafkaesque shit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

so i got t boned by a red light runner today . My car is totaled and i only have liability insurance.

plus apparently i had a warrant for not paying a ticket four years ago that i honestly didn't know about so i got hauled in for that plus charged with driving on suspended .

the upside is my wife is oka and i am okay and thank god my child wasn't in the car because she would have got the brunt of the impact.

Did they ask you for your papers? I hear that they are doing that?

Well I glad you and your family are OK. What about the douchebag who hit you?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I had a client once accused of stabbing a man in the back with a butcher knife. Got her a $200 bond. You can get reasonable bonds even for serious charges.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a client once accused of stabbing a man in the back with a butcher knife. Got her a $200 bond. You can get reasonable bonds even for serious charges.

Takes a while with court dates, judge's schedules, lawyer's schedules, court fubars etc.

Not every case goes that quick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Stop worrying. There's payment plans for everything. Hope everyone is OK.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad everyone is going to be ok.

Did you drop the soap?  Did you have to throw down in the yard or shank anyone?  Did you get some prison tats?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

With a name like Gonzales you speak some Spanish, right?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#28]
How do you not know you have an unpaid ticket?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a guy who got picked up after close of business on a Friday on a warrant for a ticket that he had paid and had the receipt for.  All he would have to do is sit out the weekend and go home on Monday.  He proceeded to get mad, hauled off on a deputy and then spent the next year in prison for it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

i didn't forget about the ticket. i have had numerous tickets back befre my child and paid them all. except one. apparently i missed one and now my ass is getting a driing while suspended for it.  Im not a liar. I don't know how it happened. I am not blaming the cops or the system. It is my fault. i fucked up somewhere and now i gotta pay the price.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They normally remind you with a letter in the mail.
at the time this happend i had lived in three different addresses in one year .   I never got the notice i had a warrant or i would have taken care of it four years ago. Im not the type to leave shit hanging.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If they other person Tboned you and they were at fault their insurance will pay, assuming they had insurance.

If not, then your uninsured motorist insurance will cover it, again, assuming that is required and tied into your liability coverage like it is here.

Good luck man, that blows.

Did they cuff you and all?

yeah the officer cuffed me but left em loose enough to where i could wiggle out if i tried. he was nice and sat around long enough to make sure ends were met and my wife could get a ride from my mom to get me bailed out within an hour.  cop was a good guy.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

..i had a warrant for not paying a ticket four years ago that i honestly didn't know about so i got hauled in for that plus charged with driving on suspended .

Go to the DMV or court to pay all your back fines and get your license back before your court date. That goes a long way with the DA and Judge.
thanks will do.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Did you by chance buy a money order and have your wife it to the court?  I had a similar problem in 2008.. and that was how my FTA warrant came to be

ETA I read down .. How did you renew or change the address on your licence?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
meh, I go to jail 2-4 days a week.

I'm in jail right now. Posting from my iPhone and getting paid time and a half on OT.

Sorry about your luck though Victor. Did the other driver have insurance?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

driver was a woman who wasn't paying attention. i was listening from the back of the cop car before we went to jail as the cop told her she was full of shit because the lines had fluid and the breaks were working and she was at fault.

im sure the car will be payed for but a 94 civic blue books around 1500 and i doubt the insurance company will pay the difference in the new motor i put in it so ill probably take a loss on that one. no big deal.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#37]
taking someones freedom away, no matter for how short is not a minor fucking inconvenience.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a guy who got picked up after close of business on a Friday on a warrant for a ticket that he had paid and had the receipt for.  All he would have to do is sit out the weekend and go home on Monday.  He proceeded to get mad, hauled off on a deputy and then spent the next year in prison for it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#38]
IMO the only people that should be in jail are those that are a danger to society or have a proven track record of violent crime.

Those with unpaid tickets or bench warrants, or any other crime which is not an act against a persons life and liberty don't need to be sitting in jail and deprived of rights and liberties. That includes those that must stay in jail awaiting trial because they cannot afford an amount of cash bail or bond - especially when they aren't being tried for violent crimes.

But that's just my opinion
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

driver was a woman who wasn't paying attention. i was listening from the back of the cop car before we went to jail as the cop told her she was full of shit because the lines had fluid and the breaks were working and she was at fault.

im sure the car will be payed for but a 94 civic blue books around 1500 and i doubt the insurance company will pay the difference in the new motor i put in it so ill probably take a loss on that one. no big deal.

Victor FYI...Next time you get T-Boned by someone tell the cops you are in PAIN!! and need to go to the Hospital by Ambulance. That way they will not cuff you up and you will not sit in Jail over the weekend, if it goes down on a Friday or Saturday. You stay in the hospital and fuck-tard s' insurance pays for the ride.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#40]
that is great advice.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

Victor FYI...Next time you get T-Boned by someone tell the cops you are in PAIN!! and need to go to the Hospital by Ambulance. That way they will not cuff you up and you will not sit in Jail over the weekend, if it goes down on a Friday or Saturday. You stay in the hospital and fuck-tard s' insurance pays for the ride.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

i was fortunate not to get one of those evil sops i have never met. he sat around for about an hour so my wife could round up enough money for me not to have to spend more time in jail than it took to do the paperwork.

I asked him if he was an arfcomer and he didn't know wht i was talking about but said he would check out the site because it sounded cool.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

If you have the paperwork for the new motor the insurance company should take that into account- at least allstate did with one of my family's cars. They said if we found the paperwork for the trans. rebuild they would tack on more money (i honestly can't remember how much it was- but at least a few hundred as it was very recently rebult)- thankfully we found the work bill. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
cop never read me my rights in the arrest.  maybe he forgot. my wife just pointed that out. maybe he was distracted or something but im still not going to use it to try to get out of anything. I have a clean history with the law so im doubting a judge will really hammer me over this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#44]
you will be missed old faithful

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
cop never read me my rights in the arrest.  maybe he forgot. my wife just pointed that out. maybe he was distracted or something but im still not going to use it to try to get out of anything. I have a clean history with the law so im doubting a judge will really hammer me over this.

I would still talk to a lawyer if I were you.

The cop may have been cool, but who says the judge or anyone else will be? You might be able to use that to your advantage, if necessary even though you did fuck up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They don't have to read you your rights unless they are going to question you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why, why God do people believe that everyone that gets arrested must be "read their rights"? WHY?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're going to be in for surprise if you ever get hit by an uninsured motorist and you think your UIM/UM coverage is going to pay out to fix your car.  It won't.  It's for medical payments only.  If you want your car fixed you need either Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD), which is not typically offered by most insurance companies, or collision coverage.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wouldnt be Arfcom unless some jackass know it all showed up. Well done.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd come pick you up for a drink or six if you were nearby.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top