Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2010 5:06:33 PM EDT
I imagine this guy had someone tie his hands behind his back, and then had someone push himself out of the window.
Would you jump or live thru the burning.

This pisses me off to no end by the way.

I'm literaly nashing my theeth over here.l

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTL and I would probably take a leap of faith then die in a fiery hell on earth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Jumping > slowly burning to death and or a combination of smoke inhalation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You forgot an option:

3.  Inhale enough toxic fumes to pass out/die rather than kill someone on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have probably died trying to find a way down. Disassembling the floor, rappelling outside the building to a safe floor?

Now that I know about 911, If I worked in a high rise I would keep my 300ft rope and rappeling harnes in my office for sure.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would have probably died trying to find a way down. Disassembling the floor, rappelling outside the building to a safe floor?

Now that I know about 911, If I worked in a high rise I would keep my 300ft rope and rappeling harnes in my office for sure.

You forgot about your parachute, that would be way better then a rappelling set up
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Either way your dead.......I prefer the quicker of the two
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you really think his hands are tied up? It's hard to tell. If so I can only imagine the conversation that went along with that...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
What angers me the most about 9/11 is the PC bullshit and censorship of the proper emotions anyone who cares about the United States or its people should feel. It's even infected this site. So-called "patriots" who are afraid to say what should be said.

10 years later and we have an Arab in the White House and everyone's too afraid to offend a bunch of ass-backwards savages who would kill you regardless of how careful you are to not offend them. Yes, the hijackers of 9/11 got their way. Mission accomplished for them.

I'm still angry and bitter about it and everyone else should be too.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no good solution to that.  All the options were awful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Yah all the documentaries this weekend are not helping my state of mind.

I think that it is worse this year only because of the shit stain in the oval office.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot about your parachute, that would be way better then a rappelling set up

After 9/11, someone a company tried to market parachutes for high-rise office workers:

http://www.dropzone.com/gear/articles/PersonalParachutesTheEth.shtml

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's remember that their crime for that day was just going to work that day. They had to either burn to death or fall to their deaths for it. Fuck Wahhabi Islam and every single one of their sympathizers and apologists.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Do you really think his hands are tied up? It's hard to tell. If so I can only imagine the conversation that went along with that...

Looks to me like the guy is simply accepting his fate and going head-first to make it quicker.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
No, at least I hope not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I do not approve of this thread. Those people deserve more. Fuck them fuck face extremist dick lickers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread is in bad taste!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#19]

I would try to live, I cannot see myself doing that.... completely giving up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah, we should forget what those people went through. We should forget the horrendous crimes perpetrated on these people.

If it were me, I sure as Hell would want people to remember. I'd also want them to avenge me.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#21]
If the flames were licking at my heels and there was no other option between burn to death or jump I think a normal human reaction would be to jump.

Standing next to a busted out window, with flames burning you, and smoke making it so you can't breath means that this is a pretty much instinctive reaction.

I don't think the guy had the option of trying to make it out alive
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have to agree.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I've always said that if I worked in a skyscraper I'd have a parachute and a sledgehammer at my desk.   I said this long before 9/11.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd better know what you're doing - a BASE jump is the most dangerous kind of jump you can make (except for jumping without a chute, of course).
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Either way your dead.......I prefer the quicker of the two

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd better know what you're doing - a BASE jump is the most dangerous kind of jump you can make (except for jumping without a chute, of course).

.00001% chance of living> 0% chance of living.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that requires a great deal of thought.  

I'd take my chances and not think twice about it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What angers me the most about 9/11 is the PC bullshit and censorship of the proper emotions anyone who cares about the United States or its people should feel. It's even infected this site. So-called "patriots" who are afraid to say what should be said.

10 years later and we have an Arab in the White House and everyone's too afraid to offend a bunch of ass-backwards savages who would kill you regardless of how careful you are to not offend them. Yes, the hijackers of 9/11 got their way. Mission accomplished for them.

Hey brains, he's not Arab.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kenyan, with muslim beliefs, I believe is to be said.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What angers me the most about 9/11 is the PC bullshit and censorship of
the proper emotions anyone who cares about the United States or its
people should feel. It's even infected this site. So-called "patriots"
who are afraid to say what should be said.

10 years later and we
have an Arab in the White House and everyone's too afraid to offend a
bunch of ass-backwards savages who would kill you regardless of how
careful you are to not offend them. Yes, the hijackers of 9/11 got their
way. Mission accomplished for them.

Quoted:

Let's remember that their crime for that day was just going to work that day. They had to either burn to death or fall to their deaths for it. Fuck Wahhabi Islam and every single one of their sympathizers and apologists.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The debate was rappelling rig vs. personal parachute - which is safer?

(Of course, the ARFcom correct answer is "get both".)
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BINGO.  Go for broke.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#33]
That photo is a famous picture called "Falling man."  His position was so striking some reporters actually did a few stories about it, trying to identify the guy and I think they ended up with an idea of who he was.  Interestingly, when they tracked down footage of his jump, it turned out that he was really tumbling on the way down, the pic just caught him pointed down.

May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Rule #1  Live, or die trying.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rule #1  Live, or die trying.  

^^^This^^^

Don't give up
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm the same way. First day I started the first thing I'd do is plan an escape route
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd rather fight to get out. Defenestration doesn't look like a good way to die especially with that long of a ride down.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Jumping > slowly burning to death and or a combination of smoke inhalation.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You forgot an option:

3.  Inhale enough toxic fumes to pass out/die rather than kill someone on the ground.

This. Jumpers did kill people on the ground.

Somewhere there's pictures of it and related stuff but the media refuses to release it as apparently it would make us all angry or something.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The name he goes by is Arab. Therefore, he is strongly connected to the Arab culture.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd like to think I'd work the problem all the way to the end.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I am actually surprised not ONE person parachuted to safety. A base jumper friend of mine who worked their in the 80s/90s had one in his office. He was no longer working there on 9/11.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You forgot an option:

Somewhere there's pictures of it and related stuff but the media refuses to release it as apparently it would make us all angry or something.

Well it is also kind of disrespectful to the victims families.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I would have shot myself with my CCW.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am actually surprised not ONE person parachuted to safety. A base jumper friend of mine who worked their in the 80s/90s had one in his office. He was no longer working there on 9/11.

Even if you did have one - if you're not wearing it you have to be able to get to it and put it on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Impossible for anyone to know what they'd do till faced with a similar scenario.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Can't say I would like to make that choice.....right now I can't justify it
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You forgot an option:

I read in the 9-11 Commission report that the first FDNY death was a FF getting hit by a jumper on the way in the building.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Still better than staying put.  I imagine the learning curve would either work with me, or against me.  

Best outcome?  I live, and look awesome.  

Worst outcome?  I don't have to worry about how I looked...  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even if you did have one - if you're not wearing it you have to be able to get to it and put it on.

Not much of a problem in most office scenarios.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top