Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 2:39:03 PM EDT
I'm looking for an aggressive lawyer in Phoenix. Preferably one that will do a "no win, no fee" deal.

I'll try and keep this short. I left the US back in 2008 (after 7 years there) due to my business closing and I'm now back in Australia (I'm an Aussie).

I tried to hold on to my house in Chandler by renting it out. Unfortunately I didn't realize the HOA had implemented a regulation limiting the number of rentals in the community to 27 houses. I appealed twice to the HOA on hardship grounds but they still turned me down. It took a year for all this to happen and by that time I could no longer make the payments on the house and it went into foreclosure. I didn't buy a house more than I could afford to pay for and the rent would have covered the mortgage.

A few weeks back I got a surprise phone call from the owner of the new managing agents of the community. Some of the residents had managed to boot out the previous HOA board and also changed the managing agents. The guy told me he had read my file and was appalled at the way I had been treated. He said what the HOA had done to me was illegal and I should have rented it anyway and told the HOA to screw themselves and let them take it to court. That's great in hindsight, however the rental agents I had engaged before I left the US refused to go any further when they found out about the HOA regulation. His other recommendation was to get a good lawyer and sue the HOA.

Anyhow, if someone knows a good lawyer or even has some advice in this area it would be appreciated.

(I did post this in the AZ Hometown section as well)

ETA - changed the title to add the part about suing the HOA.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of no lawyers there, but please let this thread commence with HOA bashing.

BTW...You are NOT gonna find a lawyer to do it for free if you don't win. You WILL be paying a retainer.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know of no lawyers there, but please let this thread commence with HOA bashing.

BTW...You are NOT gonna find a lawyer to do it for free if you don't win. You WILL be paying a retainer.

I sort of figured that but thought I might as well ask the question about the lawyer's fee.

As for HOA bashing - this is the only one that has really screwed me over and I guess I've owned about 6 rental properties governed by HOA boards (or "Body Corporates" here in Australia). Some were indifferent and some were good but this one was really bad.

Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top