Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2010 7:47:24 AM EDT
Heres one that should keep you guys going all day!

Should Mom be allowed to go into 17 year old sons room and just TAKE stuff?

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100911/NEWS01/100911001/1086/Mom+distraught+over+donating+son+s+stashed+savings

Look at some of the comments from around town! ( 80%ers are everywhere)

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully the person who bought it will be honest.

With our kids we always checked with them before we threw their toys out gave away to charity. No hidden money but girls can be crazt attached to stuffed animals.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont know what AFR thinks in general but :

When I was young I had personal responsability, things in my room were my responceability. This tought me to be self sufficient not wastefull and responsible with money !
If I boke stuf I would have to save up for new stuf, do I as a parent have a right to go go though my sons room ––> Yes of course. Is it a good idear ––-> Probably not unless he was in imminent danger of fucking up.

Life Lesson was: If I fucked up it was my responsibility to solve the problem.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would think it would be poor form to just give away your kids shit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Fucking retard mom. "I've been indoctrinated that I need to donate stuff to make myself feel better - I think I'll just go in and grab some stuff out of my son's room and give it to goodwill. But don't ask me to get rid of my own stuff..."
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Giving away your kids' stuff without their permission is pretty shitty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Shit. Most of my gun collection is still in my parents' house...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
fuck you mom
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]

I gave my niece a really nice string of illuminated grapes.  She's into lighting (lava lamps, etc.) and really loved it.  I was at their house a couple of months later, and the lights were gone.  I asked her why, and she said, "Mom needed a gift for a friend's birthday and took them."

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how much her car is worth..........pretty bad thing to do .....it didn't belong to her.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Smooth move Mom.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#12]
My mom did stuff like that all the time. I hated it and wish I still had some of that stuff to sell myself. I had lots of those diecast cars.

I rarely donate stuff as I make my own way in life. I'm not very charitable.

I think it's shitty what she did and I'd be really upset with her and it'd take years to get over if it were me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Some of those comments......LOL! The mom blew it on dope?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Mom took the money. Then gave the item it was stored in to the thrift shop. Its just a cover story.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Why the fuck do some mothers think that their kid's stuff is their's to take/use/give away/sell?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't have kids, but don't parents open up savings accounts for their children anymore?  Anyway, mom is dumb.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#17]
It's odd that the item, a rather obscure item, was purchased the following day?

I will say, that it's rather suspect story?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
“It seemed like a good place to hide it,” the teenager said. “I didn’t think it was going anywhere.”

When I was 17, I put all my lawn mowing money into the bank...

I hope he get's it back, but if not atleast he and his mom are getting two lessons for the price of one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a nice Peavey tube amp my mom gave away to some fucking animal shelter. Still makes me mad!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why the fuck do some mothers think that their kid's stuff is their's to take/use/give away/sell?

It's the Mom/God complex. It can be the same with Dads too, but often time with an overbearing mother in the family, like the typical malcom in the middle like mom, they pretty much reign and can make the kids lives a living hell, making the boys incredible pussies, or alienating the children when it's time to move out.

They think "I bought it, so it's mine, and you live under my rules in my house!" Which is true, but if you want to teach your kids anything about personal responsibility, and teach them NORMAL social skills, you don't just go through your kids crap and give it away out of the blue.

Now, there COULD be more to the story, like the kids room was just a huge mess and had been told by mom to pick it up or she'd do it for him type of thing. But sadly, I had a few friends whos moms basically treated them like slaves like that. No respect at all.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So you hope......
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Mom took the money. Then gave the item it was stored in to the thrift shop. Its just a cover story.

YUP

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't have kids, but don't parents open up savings accounts for their children anymore?  Anyway, mom is dumb.

I still have the account mine opened for me when I was 2.  When I was 19 I took her name off of it, and added a checking account to it.

I'm rocking a 4 digit account number, while most employees at the bank are using a 6 digit number.

I've got a perfect history with them... two car loans paid off, and one personal loan paid off, all early, no late payments.

But then again my parents thought the best way to teach me respect for other peoples property, as well as my own, was to NOT take shit from me for no good reason.

I mean, honestly... what a way to be a good example.

I guarantee you the reason I have such respect for other people's property is because it got drilled into my head from really early on.

I could use any of Dad's tools... as long as I asked, took care not to lose/damage them, and put them back.

If I took them without asking I was in deep shit.

I bet this kid doesn't have that same respect for property, and it's a shame.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah...at least my dad asks me.

Not a kid anymore, he just throws shit out.

I told him "My guns, everything in the ammo cans, important papers, the rocket launcher, and all that STAYS"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I gave my niece a really nice string of illuminated grapes.  She's into lighting (lava lamps, etc.) and really loved it.  I was at their house a couple of months later, and the lights were gone.  I asked her why, and she said, "Mom needed a gift for a friend's birthday and took them."  

Did you ask your sister why she stole a gift you gave to your niece?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Replying to drfeelgood:
This kids obviously going to be a Republican. Saving money, putting it away? What a kid. Should have put it in an old shoe or a dirty jock strap though. Oh, well, thanks Mommy.

Mommy is obviously a democrat, giving away other people's money.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Replying to drfeelgood:
This kids obviously going to be a Republican. Saving money, putting it away? What a kid. Should have put it in an old shoe or a dirty jock strap though. Oh, well, thanks Mommy.

Mommy is obviously a democrat, giving away other people's money.

Mommy is indeed a Democrat with no sense of individual property rights.

A child should be rewarded for working hard and being disciplined.  But just like in real life, Democrats want to punish those of us who are juat that....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#29]
"I . . .wish I still had some of that stuff to sell myself. "

My kid went away to school, I asked him to go through his things.  He didn't

My kid came back for a week on vacation.  I asked him to go through his things.  He didn't.

My kid received a written warning that he had two years to come and get his things  He didn't.

My kid was here when I had boxes of his stuff labeled ( I did the labeling) and he had an opportunity to get his things.  He didn't.

15 years after he left home he is asking where things are.  

During 15 years, I packed the stuff, put it in the attic, moved it to commercial storage, moved it home, sorted through it repeated times.  Gave toys to the guys at the garage, gave toys to a woman with  kids, went to rummage, worked the trash cans.

As a parent I say ––-  screw you kids!

And, my girlfriend (my wife died) has had the same experience.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, what's the guy who bought it going to say, "I looked, and the money wasn't there"?  NOBODY would believe him.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There are a lot of people here on this site that consider children to be basically chattel.  No privacy, no trust, no rights.

And then they just can't understand! why their kids rebel...  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nailed it. Is she some evil bitch? Of course not. She is a bit whacked though, and giving away things that belong to your essentially grown working son (things in his room in which he lives) is pretty fucked up.

She wants to give to charity, so she goes and takes things that maybe her son even bought for himself? It is sounding worse as I think about it.

At least she wasn't selling his shit for crack.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#33]
that kid needs to clean out mom's clothes closet one day and hand it all out to the homeless.
"oops, sorry, mom".
enjoy your one set of remaining clothes.

idiot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

a high school friend of mine had his guns and $800 of  new traps sold by his Dad while my buddy was in Navy Basic.
his Dad got $50 for the traps at a flea market.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#35]
17 year old without a bank account....

white trash.

they get what they deserve.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#36]
when I went to college (west point), my parents cleaned out my college savings account and took a 2 week cruise in the mediteranean.
Oh, and they never told me.  Found out on my first leave and wanted to go out to dinner with some friends.  Suprise!
They wonder why I don't visit more often.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Why the hell didn't the mom (or dad) go with the kid to the bank and open an account?  The first time I got over $250 my dad took me to the bank and opened a checking account.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Tell them to post here when they are wanting to donate your stuff.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

snip.

My mother gave my stuff away while I was still a child. My hot wheels stuff she gave away before I was 10. She'd periodically go through my stuff while I was at school and purge things she thought I no longer played with. Not that I had a whole lot of stuff, we were poor.

Yet, later on in life after she got remarried and passed away, she accumulated a veritable shit ton of stuff that we had to donate. We're talking several moving trucks full of clothing, craft stuff and furniture. I moved that stuff several times and paid several thousand dollars to store it a few years before we got rid of it. Goodwill turned away the last load because they couldn't process it. She was a hoarder and spend-a-holic later in her life. It was crazy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

white trash.

You don't keep any cash on hand?  It's not like a savings account is paying out any interest.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#41]
the mom should step up and give her son the 900 bucks since it was her mistake in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#42]
You guys (as usual) don't get it!

Its not about the money!

Its about the aerator!

She went into his room while he wasn't there and took his personal property without his permission.

Its called stealing!

The kid now knows that he cant trust the one person in the world that he thought would never let him down.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"I . . .wish I still had some of that stuff to sell myself. "

My kid went away to school, I asked him to go through his things.  He didn't

My kid came back for a week on vacation.  I asked him to go through his things.  He didn't.

My kid received a written warning that he had two years to come and get his things  He didn't.

My kid was here when I had boxes of his stuff labeled ( I did the labeling) and he had an opportunity to get his things.  He didn't.

15 years after he left home he is asking where things are.  

During 15 years, I packed the stuff, put it in the attic, moved it to commercial storage, moved it home, sorted through it repeated times.  Gave toys to the guys at the garage, gave toys to a woman with  kids, went to rummage, worked the trash cans.

As a parent I say ––-  screw you kids!

And, my girlfriend (my wife died) has had the same experience.

My third year of college my folks moved to Boston - I got the "come get whatever you want before it goes to Goodwill" speech.  I ended up with a storage unit.....

Brian
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I had a nice Peavey tube amp my mom gave away to some fucking animal shelter. Still makes me mad!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

white trash.

Your post is filled with nothing but fail and AIDS. Kid works and saves, and you call him white trash? He deserves what he gets? GTFO.

No bank in my area would give me an account until I was 18, even though I started working at 15.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Just another case of a liberal acting like a liberal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#47]
When I went in the .mil.... my Mom threw away all of my "toys" which consisted of nearly all of the major Star Wars action figures (still in their original packaging) and all of my GI Joes action figures (also still in the packages)... Her response to "why did you throw those away!?"

"Well you're too old to play with them and they must not have been very important to you, you never took them out of the packages!"

I couldn't even bring myself to explain to her what she just did to my opinion of her, and how much money those things would bring one day!

So, with 3 sons of my own, I ask before I throw anything away... it's the respectful thing to do. I don't want my kids hating me for the rest of my life for something like that!

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hopefully the person who bought it will be honest.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You guys (as usual) don't get it!

Its not about the money!

Its about the aerator!

She went into his room while he wasn't there and took his personal property without his permission.

Its called stealing!

The kid now knows that he cant trust the one person in the world that he thought would never let him down.

Exactly

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#50]
If its anything like the local Salvation Army or Goodwill, Some convict working off his community service lifted the cash before the item ever made it out for display/sale.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top