Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 6:09:13 AM EDT
I'm done with the irreverent fuckers. Bing it is.

Google Ignores 9/11 as Other Search Engines Commemorate Solemn Anniversary

Published September 11, 2009
| FOXNews

Google is well known for the clever logos it often drapes over its home page on holidays and some anniversaries, such as the Internet behemoth's own birthday.

But on the solemn eighth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, while rivals including Ask.com and Microsoft's Bing.com offered prominent commemoration displays, it was just another day for the biggest search engine of them all.

Whereas Google made special note when Luciano Pavarotti died, the anniversary of the worst terrorist attack in history went unnoticed.

On Friday, Bing.com's home page appeared with an image of the Tribute in Light, the towering memorial that beams up from lower Manhattan each year in September. Ask.com offered an old image of downtown Manhattan with the Twin Towers faintly perceptible, presented "In Loving Memory," as a small link at the page's bottom says.

Google has never marked the anniversary of the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Shanksville, Pa.

But it has often embraced some seemingly obscure dates — Andy Warhol's birthday, the anniversary of the first hot air balloon flight — and innocuous holidays like Valentine's Day.

Last year, on Sept. 10, Google marked the first successful run of the large hadron collider at the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Switzerland, ringing the Google logo with a drawing of the machine. The following day the company returned the page to its regular setting.

Google has long commemorated holidays like July 4, but it came under fire for perceived slights when it ignored others, such as Veterans Day. In 2007, under pressure from critics, it commemorated Veterans Day for the first time on its home page.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/09/11/google-ignores-search-engines-commemorate-solemn-anniversary/

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
My google home page has a small red white and blue ribbon on the bottom of the page that says "Remember 9/11"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to google.com and they have a ribbon on their site. What are people expecting?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My google home page has a small red white and blue ribbon on the bottom of the page that says "Remember 9/11"

Yeah, could they have made it any smaller? But they completely change their logo for every other two-bit holiday?  Fuck Google. Their liberalism sickitates me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I went to google.com and they have a ribbon on their site. What are people expecting?

How about something like this?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.google.com/images/icons/hpcg/ribbon_us-a_42.png

I suppose they should have made the two LL's into the Twin Towers with a plane bashing into them?

Yeah, that just fucking hilarious isn't it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose they should have made the two LL's into the Twin Towers with a plane bashing into them?

If they had changed their logo, somebody would have posted here to complain that it was in poor taste or trying to capitalize on 9-11.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The logo is below the search entry box because Google just came out with Google Instant. Its a technical reason, nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they had changed their logo, somebody would have posted here to complain that it was in poor taste or trying to capitalize on 9-11.

Well fuck ALL of you irreverent assholes then.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6.) Attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm done with the irreverent fuckers. Bing it is.

Google Ignores 9/11 as Other Search Engines Commemorate Solemn Anniversary

Published September 11, 2009
| FOXNews

Google is well known for the clever logos it often drapes over its home page on holidays and some anniversaries, such as the Internet behemoth's own birthday.

But on the solemn eighth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, while rivals including Ask.com and Microsoft's Bing.com offered prominent commemoration displays, it was just another day for the biggest search engine of them all.

Whereas Google made special note when Luciano Pavarotti died, the anniversary of the worst terrorist attack in history went unnoticed.

On Friday, Bing.com's home page appeared with an image of the Tribute in Light, the towering memorial that beams up from lower Manhattan each year in September. Ask.com offered an old image of downtown Manhattan with the Twin Towers faintly perceptible, presented "In Loving Memory," as a small link at the page's bottom says.

Google has never marked the anniversary of the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Shanksville, Pa.

But it has often embraced some seemingly obscure dates — Andy Warhol's birthday, the anniversary of the first hot air balloon flight — and innocuous holidays like Valentine's Day.

Last year, on Sept. 10, Google marked the first successful run of the large hadron collider at the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Switzerland, ringing the Google logo with a drawing of the machine. The following day the company returned the page to its regular setting.

Google has long commemorated holidays like July 4, but it came under fire for perceived slights when it ignored others, such as Veterans Day. In 2007, under pressure from critics, it commemorated Veterans Day for the first time on its home page.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/09/11/google-ignores-search-engines-commemorate-solemn-anniversary/

http://i51.tinypic.com/2mw8bab.jpg

Quit being such a fucking drama queen.  You fucking guys and your causes!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that just fucking hilarious isn't it.

Oh MORAL OUTRAGE!!

Google does funny little things with the letters for stuff like Easter, that's why it's stupid to expect them to do something like that for 9-11, just as it's stupid to start bitching about them doing nothing when they did.

There was a time when people had respect.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Google has the ribbon,

What does Yahoo have?

I could careless what a website has up.

It is what you remember not if some site has a memorial up on their home page.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6.) Attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

Well, if you are not an irreverent asshole, then it doesn't apply to you. You make that determination, not me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, could they have made it any smaller? But they completely change their logo for every other two-bit holiday?  Fuck Google. Their liberalism sickitates me.

Yeah, Fuck Obama too
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#20]

If I am the only this bothers, then keep using your precious google. I am done with the fuckers.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Fuck Obama too

That goes without saying. But I'll say it anyway. FBO.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top