Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 5:50:03 AM EDT
Mine have never been told about 9/11 at school.  They are in the 3rd and 1st grade.  I ask them every year if 09/11 was mentioned or what they know about 9/11.  The only way they have learned about 9/11 is from us.

I think it is a shame they do not tell the kids about it.

It happened 3 days before my daughters first birthday and I knew from that point on, she would be growing up in a different world.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I think first and third grade is a bit young to start teaching about war.

In the 1960s during the very height of the Viet Nam war I wasn't taught about 'Nam even in high school in the 1970s so this not-teaching-a-current/recent war isn't something that's just come around but has been going on for 30-40 years here in America. It was in high school's western civ when we were taught the nation's war history from Revolutionary to WWII - Korea and Viet Nam were treated very likely. As a military nut from a very young age I had read dozens of WWII books and some Korean ones but there weren't many available for Viet Nam to me in 1970-76 time. It would seem it takes several years for the best of the books to come out.

Last weekend this topic came up on a camping/off-road trip and the man who had his 8 and 10 year old boys volunteered his kids - they came to the adult campfire circle and said words to the effect of "the unprovoked attacks of 9-11 were committed by extremest Muslim terrorist" ...

Many young children have a parent over there fighting or have lost a parent.  Since we are still dealing with the events of 9/11, I see no reason not to teach the children about it.  It is what has changed the world they live in forever.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't have any kids that young, but the local school system here dedicates an entire day to it.  I think starting with 6th graders? .
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#4]
4th graders don't handle geo-politics very well. I can assure you of that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

4th graders don't handle geo-politics very well. I can assure you of that.

I am not talking a full blown lesson on it, but at least an introduction.  

ETA:  If they can teach kindergarten students about HIV and how it is contacted and spread in our district, I think they can come up with an age appropriate program for teaching
about 9/11.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
My folks used to quiz my sisters and me after dinner on everything from  US Naval Revolutionary history to the EM spectrum.  ROYGBIV, John Paul Jones, the Serrapis etc.  Used to tell history as stories.  9-11 makes one hell of a story.

Kids understand ganging up on each other, and they understand war if they've seen the TV for more than 5 minutes.  

Just sayin.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine have never been told about 9/11 at school.  They are in the 3rd and 1st grade.  I ask them every year if 09/11 was mentioned or what they know about 9/11.  The only way they have learned about 9/11 is from us.

I think it is a shame they do not tell the kids about it.

It happened 3 days before my daughters first birthday and I knew from that point on, she would be growing up in a different world.

Just asked the gf's 9 year old son if he learned anything about 9/11 in school yet and his response was "no".

Such a shame that this is not even mentioned in school. Teach the kids the facts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My daughters' school watches a film on the event, discusses 9-11 and made a ton of US flags and placed them outside in front of the school to celebrate the heroes and all of the innocent lives lost on that horrible day.  We discuss 9-11 at home, we will never forget!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I currently am a Senior in a New York Public school (so you can guess what I'm gonna say already already) and we are learning about how it was just a minority of Muslims who hate us, and that we are overly dehumanizing them. Also that our foreign policy brought all the Jihadies against us in the first place. Oh and that we have to worry about Christan Extremists who are using Muslims as a scape goat so that they can take over.

I kid you not. I hate NY and public schools.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Last year, my 2nd grader came home to tell ME about it.

She attends a private Christian school.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Home school, of course
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think first and third grade is a bit young to start teaching about war.

We were taught about the American Revolution in the second or third...I think the Civil war was also taught to us starting around that time too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#14]
A young girl, couldn't have been more than 3rd grade told me that she had been told about the Underground Railroad and how Slaves were tortured

with their thumbs cut off.  I was BLOWN away that they were teaching this little girl that in school in such a graphic manner.

I wish I would have asked her if she had learned about 9/11...I'm guessing they hadn't spoken a word about it to her.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#15]
My nephews thought it was silly that people make such a big deal out of it. They had no idea what happened that day. I think they merely thought it was an accident. They were only infants when it happened, but someone should have told them it was a horrific day for our country.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#16]
My oldest daughter is in the 5th grade and it wasn't mentioned in her school.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#17]
My daughter is in second grade and her principle requested that all children at the school wear red white and blue to remember the fallen. The children were not required to comply, and not much was taught about the event other than it is a historical event that cost many Americans their lives. Details about September 11 2001 are left for parents to teach.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Not really!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine are, but they go to a private Christian School.

And outside of the Revolutionary War the most emphasis is placed on the current wars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top