Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 10:52:56 PM EDT
Sitting here looking at a set Altama's - what is the pupose of the padded collar?  All it ever does for me is put a nice crease in my leg unless I wear them nice and loose (useless for real work).

Input?
TIA
Tate
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The padded collar is actually for comfort. I think youmay be wearing your boots too tight.
Do you wear two pairs of socks, or some kind of pad in the bottom of the boot?
The boot should be reasonably snug around your foot. The height of the boot limits side to side ankle movement.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks zoinks - understood.  No on the two pair of socks, unless it's really cold, then a silk liner, but it doesn't come up to the collar.  no pad in the bottom.  I'm experimenting with different methods of lacing to try to keep the bottom snug but leave the top loose.  Just seems like the collar isn't needed - you should have sock between the top of the boot and your leg.  I was in the Navy, so what do I know.  
[:D]

Tate
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Tate...I complete agree with you. When I'm wearing boots for a purpose I want them laced up [b]tight[/b] for the extra support. The padded collar also bothers me and I try to avoid getting boots with one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#4]
 the purpose of the padded collar is to prevent trash entering the boot.  If you like tight boots, send the lace thru double at the eyelets level where you want the tension to stop.  This provides a friction lock for the laces.  You will have one both laces at a 90 degree angle to the long axis of the tongue.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
It keep debris from getting in the boot and will keep water out for a short time if the water goes over the top.
GG
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Padded collar here to keep the snow out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I've foudn that many of the better civilian boots have a different type of hook where the foot bends that locks the laces like paspecops is talking about.  I like mine to leave some room for the foot to swell but keep the upper part very tight so that the ankle gets good support.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top