Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 4:55:17 PM EDT
.....what emotion(s) do you feel?

In addition to the film, I've also seen the fantastic story that The History Channel did. In my opinion, that show was even better than the film.

As hairy as the situation seemed to be, the primary emotion that I felt was pride. Sure, I was angry at the politics, disappointed that there were mix ups and mistakes,........even embarrassed that Clinton pulled the guys out and ran away afterward.

But I feel mostly a sense of pride that our guys, using superior training and tactics, were able to survive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
anger and hate
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Pride mostly, because I know guys fighting in that uniform are every bit as tough and strong willed as any previous great generation we've had.

But anger when I think about the Hercules request being denied, that would have helped our guys out alot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Anger, pride and disgust.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Anger and resentment at DC, extreme pride in the men who were involved in the battle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If the movie is accurate then I feel awed at the professionalism and courage of the Rangers and others depicted.  They were as brave as any John Basilone but because it was a "small" war they didn't seem have gotten much credit.  And I feel bad that Tom Sizemore has fallen so far
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
That it looked nothing like Somalia and the skinnies in the movie looked nothing like the skinnies in real life!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to see a trio of A-10s light up the area.......but it never happens.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel compelled to wag my trigger finger in the air while repeating over and over,
"This is my safety."
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep...I wanted the ending to be Magadishu being nuked.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The US govt actually threatened to completely destroy Mogadishu if they didn't give us back Dorant. In short order, they gave him up.

Today it would probably be a different story.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The US govt actually threatened to completely destroy Mogadishu if they didn't give us back Dorant. In short order, they gave him up.

Today it would probably be a different story.
At least we DID do that...and you are right...today we would just totally roll over ..

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I thank god I was in the Marines
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Sadness comes to mind. It sucks to know that some great people died.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
awe
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
A metric ton of pride in our guys.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#17]
ANGER!

To this day, I wish we would nuke Mogadishu to a glass parking lot.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I mean, I felt pride that they were able to over come, but I hated what happened to that crew. They were brutalized.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I was at Ft Benning at the time.  To say there was a cry for vengeance is putting it mildly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

.....what emotion(s) do you feel?

In addition to the film, I've also seen the fantastic story that The History Channel did. In my opinion, that show was even better than the film.

As hairy as the situation seemed to be, the primary emotion that I felt was pride. Sure, I was angry at the politics, disappointed that there were mix ups and mistakes,........even embarrassed that Clinton pulled the guys out and ran away afterward.

But I feel mostly a sense of pride that our guys, using superior training and tactics, were able to survive.

Pride in the skill of the guys who were sent in, working with what they had...

Anger at BJ Billy, for pulling out the Marines, then sending the Rangers back in and not giving them the CEVs (M60-based engineer vehicle - would have 'opened up' those road-blocks real easy), AC-130s, and AH-64s they needed to get it done without all the drama...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Top 2
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Anger at the scum who gun down innocent people just trying to get food they need to survive, and disgust that they weren't allowed to have AC-130s and other support they wanted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Other-  want to enlist
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Anger, pride and sadness.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Pride and sadness.

Sergeant First Class Randy Shughart.

Master Sergeant Gary Gordon.

Proud I live in a country that can create men like that.  Saddened that we don't seem to know it, and waste them when we shouldn't.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#27]
First time I seen it, during the crash the first thing thru my head was why don't the fucking mini gun work? I was hoping for a BLOODBATH.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't watch it.

I hope Les Aspin is rotting in hell
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#30]
One feeling overall doesn't tell the tale. But, as to the movie, it made me feel that out of touch commanders tried to micromanage a difficult situation that was beyond their control.

Reading the book didn't change this feeling much.

I served AF, peacetime, so what do I know?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Pride in the skill of the guys who were sent in, working with what they had...

Anger at BJ Billy, for pulling out the Marines, then sending the Rangers back in and not giving them the CEVs (M60-based engineer vehicle - would have 'opened up' those road-blocks real easy), AC-130s, and AH-64s they needed to get it done without all the drama...

yep

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I feel hate toward Les Aspin, I'm glad that fuck is dead.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Having met Sizemore on more than one occasion, pretty fucking proud.

There are times during the film where I get angered and saddened, but if I ever need to re-up my sense of motivation for anything, I watch that film.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Humility, more than anything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I feel an extreme amount of pride and admiration for the guys on the ground who faced really tough odds.

I feel an equal amount of disappointment and anger with the leadership at ALL levels.  From the politicians who didn't give them the support, to the high ranking officers who didn't properly plan the operation (i.e. Rangers and Delta didn't have a shared comm net), and lastly to the small unit leaders who failed in the basic tenets  of leadership by not performing pre-combat checks and pre-combat inspections (men left the wire without armor plates, water, NVGs, etc.).

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I experienced different emotions throughout different stages of the movie.

Anger: intense when Gordon and Shughart get whacked, or when Ruiz and the guy with femoral artery damage slips away.
Pride: for all of them at every part of the movie.
Fear: when they couldn't get a reliable rout back to base and had to drive around in circles throughout Mogadishu
Disgust: that they didn't have armor support due to political correctness, and for Klinton.
Resentment: for Klinton and his staff
Excitement: as they escaped the city and Hoot wanted to go back and finish the job.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:47:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I experienced different emotions throughout different stages of the movie.

Anger: intense when Gordon and Shughart get whacked, or when Ruiz and the guy with femoral artery damage slips away.
Pride: for all of them at every part of the movie.
Fear: when they couldn't get a reliable rout back to base and had to drive around in circles throughout Mogadishu
Disgust: that they didn't have armor support due to political correctness, and for Klinton.
Resentment: for Klinton and his staff
Excitement: as they escaped the city and Hoot wanted to go back and finish the job.

This
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#38]
God Bless those troops. On the other hand,  Les Aspin (and his bloodline) should have been executed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top