Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2010 4:27:29 PM EDT
Specifically a reproduction 1841 6 pound cannon like this one.

He just called me from a Civil War reenactment at Reed's Bridge in Jacksonville and told me a guy was offering to sell it to him for $8500.  I convinced him to wait for me to join him tomorrow before he makes a decision, and it wasn't easy doing so.  My question is, is that a good deal, and how small a coffin will I need to bury him in when my mom is done with him?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy a real civil war cannon for less.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea if the price is right...but your dad is full of WIN.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow times must be good for your Pa.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's the kind of info I'm looking for, and I have no idea where to find it.  

He's already told me that I'd be on his gun crew, and that he would supply the uniforms.  Love him to death, but Odin help him he gets some odd ideas in his head at times.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]

O. F. GUN WORKS BRONZE SALUTE CANNON ON NAVAL CARRIAGE. SN NSN. Cal. 1-1/2" Bore. This well made muzzle-loading cannon with 24" Napoleonic type bronze barrel, is stamped "O F G W" on left trunnion and "F XXXVII" on right under bronze caps. Nicely made brass-mounted mahogany two-wheeled naval type carriage with sliding elevation board, is branded "O F Gun Works Portsmouth, NH 03801" and "XXXVII.A" on mahogany axle. 5-1/2" Mahogany wheels are retained by brass pins and washers. CONDITION: Excellent, with brown patinated bbl, appears unfired. Carriage retains nearly all of its original finish. Wheels show some use. 4-40966 MGM176 (3,500-5,500)

AMES CIVIL WAR THREE-POUNDER BRONZE CANNON. This bronze cannon was almost a copy of a model 1841 six-pounder but in smaller scale. This tube is 39" overall from end of casabel to muzzle face. The bore of this cannon is just over 2-5/8". Right trunion is marked "AMES CO/FOUNDERS/CHICOPEE/MASS". Left trunion is marked "1861". The only other marking is a rim base number with the center number obscured which may be "107", but probably "197". The original touch hole in this gun is plugged with about a 1-1/2" copper plug. There are three other small copper plugs near this original vent. This cannon has been "flipped" over, a new vent hole has been drilled, a large presentation engraved in fancy script to brigadier general Robert Moss in 1886 by a band. CONDITION: Cannon overall is very good.  Bore is clear.  Markings all well struck and discernible with exception of central number on rim base.  Surface of bronze is typical for other cannons encountered, being cleaned with scattered stains and pitting overall. 4-40464 JS45 (6,000-8,000)

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Does that thing fire grape, canister, and ball ammo?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd spend the $8500 on pussy and blow  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

80 hour workweeks.  Overtime out the wazoo.  He's working his ass off but he definitely has the scratch to pull this off.  Wish I could convince him to buy me a motorcycle with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I bet he won't need a spotting scope to see hits at 300 yds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I bet he won't need a spotting scope to see hits at 300 yds.

if its not a parot... he might ;)

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No you absolutely cannot. If it is authentic, and shootable it will not sell for less than $30,000. More likely 40-60k. That replica six pounder shown is with a brass barrel, if he is looking at one like that in brass, and in good shape $8500 is a good price. Generally brass barrels in a six pounders are a minumum of $5k-8k alone, add  a carriage, you have $2500-$3500 depending on type. Add limber and implements and your looking at another $1500. I have a six pounder, like pictured but a steel barrel, two mountain howitzers, one with a #2 carriage and one with a prairie carriage, and a twelve pound Coehorn mortar. They are alot of fun and make great booms(ask my neighbors and the local PD).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

80 hour workweeks.  Overtime out the wazoo.  He's working his ass off but he definitely has the scratch to pull this off. Wish I could convince him to buy me a motorcycle with it.

that kinda smacks of a nasty entitlement child syndrome,  just saying
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#13]
wait...what are the legalities of opwning a functioning black powder cannon? i thought anything over .68 was a DD/AOW.

am i just ignert?

[edit:  i obviously know next to nothing about black powder, so go gentle on me]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you absolutely cannot. If it is authentic, and shootable it will not sell for less than $30,000. More likely 40-60k. That replica six pounder shown is with a brass barrel, if he is looking at one like that in brass, and in good shape $8500 is a good price. Generally brass barrels in a six pounders are a minumum of $5k-8k alone, add  a carriage, you have $2500-$3500 depending on type. Add limber and implements and your looking at another $1500. I have a six pounder, like pictured but a steel barrel, two mountain howitzers, one with a #2 carriage and one with a prairie carriage, and a twelve pound Coehorn mortar. They are alot of fun and make great booms(ask my neighbors and the local PD).

The one he's looking at is supposed to be steel barreled I believe.  It is fire-able (its going to be used tomorrow during the reenactment), and would be cleaned and then given to dad on the spot with all the extras.  Does that help with pricing?  Frankly I don't know much about this, never figured I'd need to know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

80 hour workweeks.  Overtime out the wazoo.  He's working his ass off but he definitely has the scratch to pull this off. Wish I could convince him to buy me a motorcycle with it.

It was a joke, and your kind of an ass, just saying.   Part of the reason he can afford this stuff is that my older brother and I have been financially independent since we were 19.   We don't leach off our dad.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a joke, and your kind of an ass, just saying.   Part of the reason he can afford this stuff is that my older brother and I have been financially independent since we were 19.   We don't leach off our dad.

Hey you are the one that made the statement.  Don't get upset with me
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A real  6lb  tube that can still be built up into a piece will run 20K and up. There are just not that many out there. Why do you think folks make their own? Coehorn mortors are a blast.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]
All i ask is post a video of you all firing it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Gosh without seeing it I am hard pressed to tell you. Generally speaking when you purchase a good repro from some of the cannon works who build them, they can run 12k-16K. The 6 pounder with a steel barrel like pictured with limber and implements would be in the 12k range new. That being said I can build one like that for around 5-6k. There is alot of metal/foundry work to them and the people who build them WELL are proud of them (and rightfully so). The thing I have a hard time telling you price wise would be the carriage, that is where the money is. There are really nice authentic looking carriages, and homebuilt cheeseballs and everything in between. $8500 seems to be the "going" rate for nice used cannons right now. There are not alot on the market right now, and people are willing to spend that for one. If he's got the gouch to spend and doesn't mind the price, go for it! There are alot of fun, can be very safe (when done right) and chances are if he takes care of it could turn around and get his buying price back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gosh without seeing it I am hard pressed to tell you. Generally speaking when you purchase a good repro from some of the cannon works who build them, they can run 12k-16K. The 6 pounder with a steel barrel like pictured with limber and implements would be in the 12k range new. That being said I can build one like that for around 5-6k. There is alot of metal/foundry work to them and the people who build them WELL are proud of them (and rightfully so). The thing I have a hard time telling you price wise would be the carriage, that is where the money is. There are really nice authentic looking carriages, and homebuilt cheeseballs and everything in between. $8500 seems to be the "going" rate for nice used cannons right now. There are not alot on the market right now, and people are willing to spend that for one. If he's got the gouch to spend and doesn't mind the price, go for it! There are alot of fun, can be very safe (when done right) and chances are if he takes care of it could turn around and get his buying price back.

Hey, that certainly helps, thanks a ton.  I just want to make sure he isn't being taken to the cleaners over this.  I knew that he was planning on getting full reenactment kit and had researched pricing on that, but the cannon is an unknown quantity to both of us.

If we do get, there will be pictures I assure you.  He already told me that he was planning on "storing" it at the Jacksonville Museum of Military History, so lots of people would get a chance to see it hands on as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
If he buys a cannon and goes full on reenacting, he get to pick his rank!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
wait...what are the legalities of opwning a functioning black powder cannon? i thought anything over .68 was a DD/AOW.

am i just ignert?

[edit:  i obviously know next to nothing about black powder, so go gentle on me]

My understanding is there is no limit as long as it loads from the front.  There may be storage issues for large amounts of black powder but you'd have to check the BATF website.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Really?  That's really cool, and appropriate too I guess.  Makes sense though, and probably helps convince people to buy that sort of thing for the added perks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I knew a guy that made fully functioning cannons,  He made the complete package:  gun,  limber & all the goodies.  

Back in the 1995 they sold for 10K & up,

A few years ago he was killed when his tractor rolled over.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  That's really cool, and appropriate too I guess.  Makes sense though, and probably helps convince people to buy that sort of thing for the added perks.

That is why in some reenactments you see nothing but peacocks in full officer dress on cannons, when is the last time you a real general on a artillery piece? We keep the ranks down as much as we can on the pieces, an NCO will run the piece or be safety officer, but other than that we keep mostly enlisted ranks on the cannons. I myself can be a private, a first sarg, or Lt in the same day depending scenerio. For some it is all about recognition and power some people seem to think they get by wearing birds or stars instead of just having fun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]
If he does not bite before you get to him and you would like to reenact with him try a repro Coehorn mortar. Years ago (70s) when I did it (we had two real 12 lb Napoleons) there was a father/son team that used a Coehorn (with orgional tube/bell) and they had a blast. It would also be cheaper to operate/transport and your Dad will not have to recruit a crew to serve the 6 pounder. I always enjoyed the sound of the Coehorn and the big smoke ring it would send in the air. The crowd liked it too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If he does not bite before you get to him and you would like to reenact with him try a repro Coehorn mortar. Years ago (70s) when I did it (we had two real 12 lb Napoleons) there was a father/son team that used a Coehorn (with orgional tube/bell) and they had a blast. It would also be cheaper to operate/transport and your Dad will not have to recruit a crew to serve the 6 pounder. I always enjoyed the sound of the Coehorn and the big smoke ring it would send in the air. The crowd liked it too.

Truth spoken here. Plus my Coehorn is as loud or louder than the six pounder...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

when is the last time you a real general on a artillery piece?

General Alexander?

/not completely clueless about this stuff, just mostly clueless
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Reenacting? REENACTING? Are you joking? Why on earth would you want to do that? That's like a bunch or 10-year-olds playing with toy guns. If you want to REALLY get into the Civil War stuff, go with the North-South Skirmish Association. Those guys shoot REAL bullets, and shoot REAL cannons with REAL cannonballs.

Take a look at N-SSA.ORG

Remember: "Real Men Don't Shoot Blanks".
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Well dang...I might have get some stars then...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know your dad but I already like him.

Hey want to see what's in my garage. Its a cannon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Reenacting? REENACTING? Are you joking? Why on earth would you want to do that? That's like a bunch or 10-year-olds playing with toy guns. If you want to REALLY get into the Civil War stuff, go with the North-South Skirmish Association. Those guys shoot REAL bullets, and shoot REAL cannons with REAL cannonballs.

Take a look at N-SSA.ORG

Remember: "Real Men Don't Shoot Blanks".

My cannons are real, and I shoot real cannonballs. But not during reenactments. What is not REAL about my cannons? Last time I checked they're not shooting at each other either, so....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Very good advice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Good for him! I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have no idea if the price is right...but your dad is full of WIN.  

No shit. That is good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#37]
- Which kind of fuse is that?

- Cannon fuse.

- What the hell you use if for?

- My cannon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All i ask is post a video of you all firing it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Now this really IS a total guy thing....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Dixie Gun Works Field Cannon

$9350. Don't know how it compares to what your dad is looking at. But it's something for comparison. Looking at the website, it looks like full size barrels are 1200-1500 dollars. So it's the carriage which runs up the tab
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

$9350. Don't know how it compares to what your dad is looking at. But it's something for comparison. Looking at the website, it looks like full size barrels are 1200-1500 dollars. So it's the carriage which runs up the tab

Wooo.  Nice find.  I really like some of the rifles they have available too.  This one in particular.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Specifically a reproduction 1841 6 pound cannon like this one.

http://www.artillerysociety.co.uk/images/6lbCannon2.jpg

He just called me from a Civil War reenactment at Reed's Bridge in Jacksonville and told me a guy was offering to sell it to him for $8500.  I convinced him to wait for me to join him tomorrow before he makes a decision, and it wasn't easy doing so.  My question is, is that a good deal, and how small a coffin will I need to bury him in when my mom is done with him?

NOW THIS!! Is something to be ENCOURAGED!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This place never ceases to amaze me.  You're a helpful cannoneer dude!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That one is smaller. It appears to be half or 2/3 scale. not sure without barrel dimensions. Decent price if it is at least 2/3.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This place never ceases to amaze me.  You're a helpful cannoneer dude!

Tell that to my wife all I get is rolled eyes when I talk gunpowder, black or ball.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Dude.....let your dad get a fucking cannon.  There's not enough people doing cool shit out there today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Ben Miller does awesome work.  Visited his shop in Eastern TN several years ago and wanted to take the one he had home.

http://www.millercannons.net/
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

am i just ignert?

Non fixed-cartridge black-powder and muzzle loaders are 'non-firearms' to the ATF.

Completely unregulated.

Stuff like cap-and-ball revolvers, paper-cartridge muzzle-loaders, and muzzle-loading cannon are not considered guns under US law, and can be bought and sold just like a hunk of metal.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why in some reenactments you see nothing but peacocks in full officer dress on cannons, when is the last time you a real general on a artillery piece? We keep the ranks down as much as we can on the pieces, an NCO will run the piece or be safety officer, but other than that we keep mostly enlisted ranks on the cannons. I myself can be a private, a first sarg, or Lt in the same day depending scenerio. For some it is all about recognition and power some people seem to think they get by wearing birds or stars instead of just having fun.

You mean you're not a Zebra brigade?

Hate that crap...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean you're not a Zebra brigade?

Hate that crap...

No zebra brigade here. I know there is a little nerdy stigma to it, and I get it, but I get to hang out with great friends, play poker, smoke cigars, burn a whole heck of alot of powder, and not shower for a couple of days. what not to like?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top