Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:38:08 PM EDT
I was thinking I would drop my flag to half mast for 9/11. I was going to drop it at sundown tonight (flag is lit). But I'm not sure if it appropriate or not.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]

From wikipedia:

In the United States, Patriot Day occurs on September 11 of each year, designated in memory of the 2,993 killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks.

<snip>

On this day, the President directs that the American flag be flown at half-staff at individual American homes, at the White House, and on all U.S. government buildings and establishments, home and abroad. The President also asks Americans to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 A.M. (Eastern Daylight Time), the time the first plane struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Day

ETA: From the actual legisation:

The President is requested to issue each year a proclamation calling on:

all departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of

the United States and interested organizations and individuals

to display the flag of the United States at halfstaff on Patriot

Day in honor of the individuals who lost their lives as a result

of the terrorist attacks against the United States that occurred

on September 11, 2001.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, there was a Presidential Proclamation to that effect issued today:

Presidential Proclamation

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top