Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/10/2010 2:12:30 PM EDT
I feel advanced mathematics has ostracized me from society.

I no longer put up with bullshit. I get mad when people use "proof" language in ill conceived and stupid social science arguments. I am starting to realize just how illogical and irrational most people are. I no longer relate to most of my peers, and no longer take the majority of my fellow students seriously, who bitch about the difficulty of very easy classes.

It has fucked with my brain. My brain has been rewired. Now, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I have a feeling that it even further lessons the ability to pursue the mathematical constant Pi...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel the same way, but I haven't taken trig or calc yet. I don't think high level math has much to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
No, but it outs you as a different person.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Join the Army, go through all the training and learn how to work as a team effectively and efficiently.... Then try and deal with civilians on the simplist of problems.

You will want to CHOKE PEOPLE!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Because of the way my brain is wired, I was quite comfortable delving into advanced mathematics in school, which further wired my brain in that fashion.

Ever take one of those left/right brain tests?  Before college, I always scored right down the middle.  Now I'm squarely on the "left" side of the brain spectrum.

Oh well.  My wife gets very upset when I point out the failed logic of her rants when we argue
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You were already ostracized from the rest of society.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
No, I was like that before.
I think what it did do, was make me more aware of having been that way before.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Join the Army, go through all the training and learn how to work as a team effectively and efficiently.... Then try and deal with civilians on the simplist of problems.

In that same vain, imagine the looks I got when I pulled out a small Swiss Army Knife in a college chemistry lab. I needed to cut a piece of graph paper accurately, and the scissors they had sucked.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No shit.

Three days ago I told someone they could fuck up the working parts of a P-38 can opener.

To the OP, I would say higher mathematics? No.

Just simply being able to count is enough to alienate a person from a lot of the populace.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Yes, a lot of people will be irrational in your opinion.

I would say you need to get over it- or as an alternative go live as a hermit somewhere.

People have different tolerances and outlooks.  Not everyone is cut out for LE work, the military, to be parents, etc.

It's just the way it is.  But I'm sure you are not perfect either so don't hold them to too high a standard.

Don't mean to be harsh.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Diff EQ (Diffy-Q)  kicked my ass six ways to Sunday.

Changed me in that I decided I hated math enough to get into computers to avoid math altogether. (Made sense at the time)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Engineering made me a social recluse...

People are pretty damn stupid to start with and after college, I found them even dumber.

Its not just you.

++ Edit to add: Is it bad that last night the GF's friend came over before a Concert they were going to and she asked about structures specifically vector addition (Architect Major, not A CE)  and I got excited? Hard not to inject what you eat, sleep, and breath everyday for your career into daily life.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
no..........
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Women who can do higher math are hot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I dated one and very much hated the fact that she had to help me with my calc homework.  She knew I hated asking for help so would constantly rub it in.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Engineering made me a social recluse...

People are pretty damn stupid to start with and after college, I found them even dumber.

Its not just you.

++ Edit to add: Is it bad that last night the GF's friend came over before a Concert they were going to and she asked about structures specifically vector addition (Architect Major, not A CE)  and I got excited? Hard not to inject what you eat, sleep, and breath everyday for your career into daily life.

College seems to make many sensible people idiots after. I think many become self inflated in the pit of universities.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#16]
There is not a lot of room for feelings in mathematics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dated one and very much hated the fact that she had to help me with my calc homework.  She knew I hated asking for help so would constantly rub it in.

That's hot.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Not any more than any other experience makes you a different person.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's hot.

lol.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I no longer put up with bullshit. I get mad when people use "proof" language in ill conceived and stupid social science arguments. I am starting to realize just how illogical and irrational most people are. I no longer relate to most of my peers, and no longer take the majority of my fellow students seriously, who bitch about the difficulty of very easy classes.

It has fucked with my brain. My brain has been rewired. Now, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I have a feeling that it even further lessons the ability to pursue the mathematical constant Pi...

What is the definition of "advanced mathematics" to you?

The only proof I know is in the vodka I buy
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#21]
By advanced mathematics do you cipherin' or guzintas?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#22]
It will be frustrating to get people to agree with you because most people don't think on that level.

But it's not healthy to think you are superior to people.  Everybody has something you can learn from.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Just turn in your homework late.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But it's not healthy to think you are superior to people.  Everybody has something you can learn from.

Forgetting this will inevitably lead to you being reminded of it at the least opportune time.. usually in public.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Aviation has some similar symptoms.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#26]
What level of math are you engaged in that you consider 'advanced'?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is not a lot of room for feelings in mathematics.

Bingo.Most people feel their way through life.

They are often wrong. When you do the math first, you may not always make the right choice, but you will be right more often.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Just turn in your homework late.

See me after class.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.inewscatcher.com/timages/3de49f5656c69529f8ba89f7531fee1b.jpg

QFT.

OP, stop trying to find ways to put yourself above "society." You are a part of society just as any of us is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
My math/chem/physics background puts me in awkward positions on a daily basis. My patience with people is almost non existent. What seems clear to me baffles the shit out of almost everyone I know. I don`t play well with others. I am filthy stinking rich because of my math skills. People who really know me depend on me and expect "miracles" from me. I don`t consider them miracles at all. I do derivations for fun while shooting IFR approaches to minimums.

For even management slots ( let alone the production slots) at my firm I ALWAYS ask candidates " what is 10% of 87". Less than 20% answer without hesitation and even fewer answer without thinking at all. NO ONE gets a second look if they fail this question no matter what degree/experience/reference they bring with them. Third grade antics cause many many people to do poorly later in life. FBHO
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
once you hit calculus the woman start smelling funny...and dont brush their hare...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How about this, for a brain twister, O_P?
Quantify people's emotionally based ideas, so that you can predict and plan for them.

Now this was just what I was talking about. Simplify the problem. Easy solutions abound.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#35]
That's not math, it's that culture class you're taking.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#38]
My brain came pre-wired for math. Chose it as a major since it was less annoying (for me) than writing X page, double spaced, papers.

No change was observed in my obtaining a math degree.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
once you hit calculus the woman start smelling funny...and dont brush their hare...

I can't stand unkempt rabbits
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Just think how engineers feel.  Most of us have majors in math.

We think mathematicians are main stream.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Those poor, poor rabbits...
And what are you saying math does do to a woman's nose?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Not as much as Philosophy does.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quantify people's emotionally based ideas, so that you can predict and plan for them.

Now this was just what I was talking about. Simplify the problem. Easy solutions abound.

Can't tell if you like or hate.

I`ve been on a 15 day grinder. All arfcommers pass. It IS  very very difficult watching the responses I get when I ask that question. Glad I`m selling out.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Guy, we're just screwing with you.  It's actually quite true.

Certain fields of mathematics are deliberately constructed in a way that their abstractions and cognitive manipulations stimulate/activate brain pathways unavailable to "the dulls" (don't use that name publicly, BTW).  You are a candidate for Ascendance.  Congratulations.  Of course, celibacy is required during your candidacy, as the level of your vital energy is tied (obviously, d'oh) to the level of Ascendancy attained.

Light refreshments will be served in the faculty lounge.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Depends on how advanced you are talking about...

Dangerous Knowledge - Philosophy, Physics, Mathematics

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5122859998068380459#

-3D
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't tell if you like or hate.

I`ve been on a 15 day grinder. All arfcommers pass. It IS  very very difficult watching the responses I get when I ask that question. Glad I`m selling out.

Your euphemisms are confusing, whole brainer.

Selling OUT of my business. The person I`ve become due the radioactive environment of self employment is a source of great pain to me.

It doesn`t matter how much "GOOD" I`ve done if you don`t like yourself.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

What level of math are you engaged in that you consider 'advanced'?

My guess is basic calc but I'm a big meanie.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top