Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2010 1:25:48 PM EDT
Assuming the same barrel length.

More choices/options/accessories available?  

Is it just because it looks more like an M-4?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I chose both
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
All my previous  ars were carbine length because I had no idea what a middy was I figured it was an 18" barrel. I got out of the ar game for awhile. After doing some research for my latest build I decided that mid length was the way to go and I am very pleased.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Long term parts availability.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both, I have the carbine because it was cheap. My latest rifle is a 14.5" mid length and I really like it.

Next rifle will be carbine gas, but on a 10" barrel, I've also got an 11.5" carbine in the works.

The 6.8 (when it finally gets put together) will probably be a 16" lw midlength dissy set up.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The middy has become pretty popular, so finding aftermarket accessories isn't too hard. And yes, for some folks it is a matter of aesthetics to have a rifle that closely resembles a real-deal M4 (or if you're building a clone)

A little weight can be saved with a carbine-length gas system in regards to railed handguards (though I'll bet more could be saved with a lightweight barrel on a middy). Also carbines can be cut down to 11" or 10" barrel length if you decide to SBR your rifle with the existing upper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
To keep the front end as light as possible.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Because I use 14.5" with a perm flash hider. Or a tax stamp.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The pony....  

Until Colt does a Middy, then Middy is just a fad
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought what was available at the time.  

If I was to get another upper, it would be a 16" lightweight mid-length, or the same barrel profile, 14.5" with permanently-attached flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Built a "Commando" CAR after First an A1 "Retro" 603 build  and second an A2 with 20" CL HBAR & green A2 furniture ,seemed like a natural progression .
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't have middy uppers somewhere where I could afford them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I was looking for 1:7 twist and chrome lined barrel. I don't think I could find a mid length when I was looking with those features. But that was back in 2004 IIRC.

My latest was a full length / 20".

Next I'll probably go 6.8, and perhaps a mid length.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
All the cool posters were buying middys....I wanted to be cool too.

Then I discovered NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
more choices in manufacturers, accessories, etc...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually, I chose both

Me three.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Carbine is better for intimidating neighbors while cleaning guns on the porch with no shirt on and a 6 pack of keystone tallboys.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I knew years later Magpul would design some nice handguards for it.  Now my friends that went midlength stop ribbing me about my short gas tube every time they see that beautiful furniture.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
long gas system for the win. Mid is much better for a 16" it just is. you can say whatever you want about its what colt makes or its how it was made... etc. a mid just shoots better and operates better. once you go mid you probably wont go back. just a smoother running gun. I took that Idea and ran with it. I sold all my carbine length uppers and now have a 18" rifle length. If I where to get a 16 it would be middy or nothing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
1. Because I didn't know what a middy was.

2. Really liked the look of carbines. Had a look in mind when I started building my AR.

2. Price. The real reason to get a middy is so you can get awesome rails on it and lose the FSB. But that's a lot more expensive than getting a basic 16" carbine upper from BCM, you know?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I knew years later Magpul would design some nice handguards for it.  Now my friends that went midlength stop ribbing me about my short gas tube every time they see that beautiful furniture.

But soon they too will be able to partake of said furniture.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Because the Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard all use that gas system.  It works, and it works well.  Plus in approximately 28,000 rounds I've never had a failure attributable to the carbine length gas system.  I've had mag failures (Thermold, Pmag, USA brand steel, TD ARC), stuck cases due to lacquered Wolf, a couple popped primers, and a buffer tube that came loose.  Never a gas tube length issue though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Think it's a fad or something?  I'm really not sure why parts availability would sway your decision.  Besides the gas tube and barrel, there's nothing you can't put on a carbine that you can't put on a midlength.  And the chance of having to replace the gas tube is insignificant.  If you have to change barrels, well it's easy enough to just buy a carbine on it and pick up a cheap gas tube while you're at it.

ETA:  Nevermind, I realize that I probably misread your post.  

Only one thing better than a midlength IMO, and that's a midlength with a rifle length handguard...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Actually, I chose both

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Who told you I did that?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But soon they too will be able to partake of said furniture.

I'd better enjoy it while I can, then!  

At least I will be able to get some full length ones out of the deal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think it's a fad or something? I'm really not sure why parts availability would sway your decision. Besides the gas tube and barrel, there's nothing you can't put on a carbine that you can't put on a midlength. And the chance of having to replace the gas tube is insignificant. If you have to change barrels, well it's easy enough to just buy a carbine on it and pick up a cheap gas tube while you're at it.

ETA: Nevermind, I realize that I probably misread your post.

Only one thing better than a midlength IMO, and that's a midlength with a rifle length handguard...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/shtblocker/DSC04081Custom.jpg

I am just thinking long term as in my family having the guns and possibly need spare parts 30-40 years from now.  Worst case scenario, the production of semi autos is banned and you need parts.  The rifle length and carbine length have been in production for about 30 years longer than midlength.  I  would probably be much easier to find replacement parts for them.  

I have never needed to replace a gas tube on a semi auto(done it on autos) and hand guards don't get trashed very often outside of the military either.  But I am a firm believer in Mr Murphy.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Actually, I chose both

+1!

One 20 inch HBAR for up to 400 yard shooting, one 11½ HBAR for close shots (to 200 yards).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think it's a fad or something?  I'm really not sure why parts availability would sway your decision.  Besides the gas tube and barrel, there's nothing you can't put on a carbine that you can't put on a midlength.  And the chance of having to replace the gas tube is insignificant.  If you have to change barrels, well it's easy enough to just buy a carbine on it and pick up a cheap gas tube while you're at it.

ETA:  Nevermind, I realize that I probably misread your post.  

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/shtblocker/DSC04081Custom.jpg

But then how do you mount a bayonet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Cost, and I own an M4-style because the Army issues them, so 'as close as possible' externally (especially sight-radius) was one of the requirements in my purchase...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't.  All my carbines have the midlength gas system/handguards.

I have owned "shorties" before, but prefer the middies.

Besides, the middies mount a bayonet correctly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#31]

It takes a while for some to people to accept better technology.

Soon, the midlength will be the standard and carbines will only be considered for SBR type weapons.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Soon, the midlength will be the standard and carbines will only be considered for SBR type weapons.

For what military?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Because the Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard all use that gas system.  It works, and it works well.  Plus in approximately 28,000 rounds I've never had a failure attributable to the carbine length gas system.  I've had mag failures (Thermold, Pmag, USA brand steel, TD ARC), stuck cases due to lacquered Wolf, a couple popped primers, and a buffer tube that came loose.  Never a gas tube length issue though.

There's this.  Middy is a recent, non-mil-spec trend.  Of course such innovations are often well ahead of the Ordnance Corps...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I wanted a KISS carbine first.  My second AR will be a middy.  Hoping to win the LaRue contest, but I will buy it if I have to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what military?

Was this thread about military weapons? I thought it was about the AR15?

My bad.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Actually, a 20" AR is a carbine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I have one for a reason most prefer the middy (I have a middy, too, BTW).  All of that additional pressure on the components allows me to run lower powered ammo I may find laying around and still have enough pressure to run.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a full sized flat top set up for shooting yotes when I bought my carbine length AR which is a 16in heavy barrel flat top crowned muzzle.   I still dont get the "taticool" look. Why anyone would want to carry about an extra 5lbs of shit is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had a full sized flat top set up for shooting yotes when I bought my carbine length AR which is a 16in heavy barrel flat top crowned muzzle.   I still dont get the "taticool" look. Why anyone would want to carry about an extra 5lbs of shit is beyond me.

Are you saying that a 16 inch carbine with a midlength gas system is 5 pounds heavier that a 16 inch carbine with the shorty gas system?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah those crappy flashlights.  Don't know why you would want to carry thAt shit around.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I think a middy/16" is the perfect all around AR
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I would take a 16" mid length over a 16" carbine.

I chose a carbine because I wanted a 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The carbine was in stock

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I didn't know they made mid lengths when I bought my carbine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Because I use 14.5" with a perm flash hider.

Same here.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Carbine Gas + PRI Fat Boy tube gives all the benefits of Middy without the weight
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I didn't.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Carbine Gas + PRI Fat Boy tube gives all the benefits of Middy without the weight

How much heavier is a middy, really?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much heavier is a middy, really?

Not a whole lot.  Gas tube is a bit longer, in addition to the handguards.  May also get the perception because the sight tower is a little further forward.  I would not consider a weight difference between the two to even be noticeable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Carbine length is better for up close, where most encounter take place these days.  But I've got an SBR, a Carbine, and a heavy barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top