Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 12:33:43 PM EDT
seems like Thai food is over-rated , and Filipino foods are under-rated

I kind of like Filipino foods better than Thai, I dont really like hot & spicey foods

seems like Thai food is the most popular? but it seems over hyped and not really that good?

actually I think Chinese cuisine is better than Thai

but Filipino food is also excellent and not hot & spicey
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I kind of like Filipino foods better than Thai, I dont really like hot & spicey foods

seems like Thai food is the most popular? but it seems over hyped and not really that good?

CSB!

only time i had filipino food was when our plane was forced to land in manila because of a typhoon in hong kong.

i prefer chinese, japanese/korean and thai.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up with a lot of Filipino cuisine and I still think that Thai is way better overall.  There are certain items that can't be compared, of course.  There are a lot of family-owned Thai restaurants that can offer you a "homecooked" style meal.  I have yet to find a Filipino restaurant that BEGINS to compare to homecooked Filipino food that I have had.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Dog vs Cat

I keeed
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Opinions are usually like that...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Vietnamese FTW but I like 'em all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thai restaurants make pretty decent food when compared to the homecooked Thai I have eaten. Most Flip restaurants suck at making food compared to the homecooked Flip food I have eaten (and I am half Flip so I have eaten a shit ton of it). Overall, Flip homecooked beats Thai homecooked ( I am biased though), but Thai restaurants are consistently better than Flip restaurants
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Both have merit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thai food is hardly "over-rated".

It's a very complex cuisine with all manner of ingredients and spices that integrates several different cultures and culinary styles while remaining quintessentially Thai.
A proper meal establishes the Chinese cuisine ethic of applying all of the flavors and textures to appeal to the senses.
And while often blisteringly hot, there are plenty of dishes that are not or can be toned down without losing flavor.
If you prefer bland food, it really isn't for you.

Their may be some gourmet Filipino food out there but I've never seen it or had it.
And it's certainly not represented to any degree in American restaurants.
It may be tasty home food or feature a particular delicacy but I've seen nothing to suggest that it is sophisticated.
The Vietnamese and Koreans kick it's ass on the grill and several Asian cuisines run their noodles in circles around it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Vietnamese food is the best imo.

Thai is good, flip food has too much hispanic influence for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Balut FTW
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both have merit.

Yeah, pretty much this. I am biased though, working at a Thai restaurant for three years.

Quoted:
Balut FTW

ETA: And perhaps I should clarify something: I could keep up with Andrew Zimmern in his Bizarre Foods show. I cannot stomach balut at all. Just thinking about it makes me queasy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Vietnamese food is the best imo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It tastes like mild Thai food, same spices (a little less "pic") but in much lesser proportions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Filipino is bad ass, Thai is better.  Well, good Thai is better (bad Thai sucks ass).  Only reason I don't cook my favorite Thai stuff at home more is that the mrs can't handle my level of spicy (burn a hole from stem to stern) and wimpy just doesn't cut it.  Vietfood rocks the house as well.

Then again, sometimes you just need a big ass American style ribeye.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Have Filipino friends, and I like most of the food. That being said, Thai is still A #1 in my book.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I like them all.  

I'd rate it:

1- Vietnamese
2- Filipino
3- Thai

I have not however been to a Filipino restaurant in the US.  All my Filipino restaurant experiences have been in the PI, or home cooked.  A few notable Filipino dishes are:

Shrimp Sinigang (My favorite)
Bulalo
Sisig
Pancit
Marinated Bangus
Dinuguan
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Greasy lumpia sucks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thai restaurants make pretty decent food when compared to the homecooked Thai I have eaten. Most Flip restaurants suck at making food compared to the homecooked Flip food I have eaten (and I am half Flip so I have eaten a shit ton of it). Overall, Flip homecooked beats Thai homecooked ( I am biased though), but Thai restaurants are consistently better than Flip restaurants

this right here
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]

I love Thai food so much sometimes i think I should move to Thailand.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I enjoy Thai food much more based on the fact that they have a perfect way of combining spice and flavor plus good texture , etc. I've eaten at filipino restaurants here in Vegas(There's quite a few) and the flavors just dont do it for me, plus the amount of seafood in it was very unpleasant. Thai food though.... holy shit thats where it's at I fucking love spicy foods.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll give you a call next time my neighbors are burning the hair off of a goat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Comparing the places I've eaten at in the PI and the places I've eaten at in Thailand, Id' have to say the Thai food was better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I like Thai better than Filipino  food. Way better IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top