Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 11:24:34 AM EDT
When I bought my house the title company gave me a folder of stuff. I bought it as a bank repo and paid cash.

I assumed a deed would be some fancy document but the only thing I found is a "special warranty deed" which is a crappy looking print out with a county register of deeds stamp (book, page and line #) and a notary public signature/stamp. Google says this deed covers their ass from other claims (I had a title search and got title insurance).

Is this my main house deed? It looks like shit, I thought it would look more like a car title with the fancy borders and heavy paper, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a deed,  not a title, learn the difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When I bought my house the title company gave me a folder of stuff. I bought it as a bank repo and paid cash.

I assumed a deed would be some fancy document but the only thing I found is a "special warranty deed" which is a crappy looking print out with a county register of deeds stamp (book, page and line #) and a notary public signature/stamp. Google says this deed covers their ass from other claims (I had a title search and got title insurance).

Is this my main house deed? It looks like shit, I thought it would look more like a car title with the fancy borders and heavy paper, etc.

Yes, this is it.  If you want, you can get out some crayons and color it...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
That's the deed.  Deeds can come in different flavors.  You have the special warranty deed which is not as good as the General Warranty deed.  Another type of deed is a quitclaim deed
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's the deed.  Deeds can come in different flavors.  You have the special warranty deed which is not as good as the General Warranty deed.  Another type of deed is a quitclaim deed

Special Warranty deeds are routinely used by estates and foreclosures.

The deed issuer does not want to be personally liable for the deed, as they are with a General Warranty Deed.

The Special Warranty Deed only leaves the conveyor liable for the time they had possession of the property that they did not encumber the property allow liens to occur).

A General Warranty Deed certifies that there are NO encumbrances not of record, period, for the entire chain of title (as far back as it exists).

A 'Quit Claim Deed' only conveys whatever interest the granter has in the property.
It could be nothing, it could be fee simple ownership, or anything in between.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got mine (paid the mortgage off about 10 years ago), and it looks kind of like a contract...  (Haven't looked at it for years)

Remember that the important thing is that the deed is registered in your name with the county clerk.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you don't even necessarily need to have an original copy as it is supposed to be recorded as public record.  Nowadays, you don't even need an abstract or Torrens certificate on a home...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top