Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 10:10:07 AM EDT
I want to change out my exterior flood light fixtures for motion sensing ones. Do they come set up so you can turn the lights on and leave them on? Or do they only come on with movement? For example, can I turn them on at say dusk so they remain on and then when I go to bed switch them to come on when they detect movement? Essentially, I'm looking for lights that have three modes: on, motion sensing only and off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I want to change out my exterior flood light fixtures for motion sensing ones. Do they come set up so you can turn the lights on and leave them on? Or do they only come on with movement? For example, can I turn them on at say dusk so they remain on and then when I go to bed switch them to come on when they detect movement? Essentially, I'm looking for lights that have three modes: on, motion sensing only and off.

Yes.

Some have just a motion sensor, some have a combo motion sensor and photocell.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the fixture you buy. They do offer the features you are wanting. Some are controlled by flipping the switch one or off in a sequence.

Kamron
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Depends on the fixture you buy. They do offer the features you are wanting. Some are controlled by flipping the switch one or off in a sequence.

Kamron

The lights I have are this way. Flip it off then back on and they stay on. Do it again and back to motion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Kamron

So, if I get the right fixture, I can just switch them out and don't have to alter the wiring or add another switch, correct?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes most are designed to where you flip the switch off then back on in less then a second and they stay on.  Make sure you read the packaging before purchasing because not all of them do this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kamron

So, if I get the right fixture, I can just switch them out and don't have to alter the wiring or add another switch, correct?
Correct

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top