"Getting accepted was a huge deal, not just for me, but for the Air
Force Shooting Team, for my family and my shop that's been supporting me
ever since I got to Tinker," Airman Callage said, who placed fourth in
standard pistol at a national shooting competition in June at Fort
Benning, Ga.

With his fourth-place finish, he missed qualifying for the World
Shooting Championship in Munich. In May, Airman Callage participated in
the Sooner State Games, winning first in the Oklahoma State
Championships in air pistol and standard pistol.

The Airman, a bioenvironmental technician assigned to the 72nd Aerospace
Medicine Squadron, will begin training at least five to six hours per
day, six days a week on various drills for the free, air and standard
pistol events. The scenic front range of the Rockies will be his new
firing range backdrop, as he vies for top spots in several national and
international events each year, culminating in the London Olympics.

"This has always been a goal I've dreamed of," he said.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Best of luck to the Airman.

I think that having our military in position to compete at the Olympic/international level is a very good thing for the DoD and country and should be encouraged.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Best of luck to the Airman.

I think that having our military in position to compete at the Olympic/international level is a very good thing for the DoD and country and should be encouraged.

He has fine taste in handguns too.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Ultra Dot..................................
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought I read something about the Brits only allowing laser tag guns for the 2012 games because of their fascist gun laws???
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I know he is probably just stationed in Oklahoma, but still Oklahoma, FTW!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Good on him.

BTW, Is that mount attached to the slide? I always thought that was a no-no in that it would beat the hell out of the optic. At least it seems like it would beat the hell out of it to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought I read something about the Brits only allowing laser tag guns for the 2012 games because of their fascist gun laws???

Only in modern pentathlon I think.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good on him.

BTW, Is that mount attached to the slide? I always thought that was a no-no in that it would beat the hell out of the optic. At least it seems like it would beat the hell out of it to me.

This is A1C Alex Callage- the one in the article. Thank you all for the comments.

Yes it is attached to the slide, its common in Bullseye guns. I've never heard of it damaging the optics, however will hardball loads I dont believe the mount/rings would hold up for long.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Best wishes to you, in shooting and in life. And enjoy Colorado –– it's a beautiful place to live.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good on him.

This is A1C Alex Callage- the one in the article. Thank you all for the comments.

Yes it is attached to the slide, its common in Bullseye guns. I've never heard of it damaging the optics, however will hardball loads I dont believe the mount/rings would hold up for long.

Glad to have you here.  So your full time job for a while will be shooting up taxpayer provided ammo?  That is awesome!  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck to you Airman!

Can you describe the pistols you use?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good on him.

Good on you dude!

Have you shot with any of the base cops yet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Great.

Like the grips.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations Airman!! Have fun and good luck! Any chance you can describe the pistols you will be using? We love some 1911's around here
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#16]
USAFST, outstanding!  Good luck with your preparations for the 2012 Olympics.

I was stationed at Tinker back in the 1990's with the 552 ACW (see my avatar.)

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Curious they would use a picture of him holding a gun that can't be used in International (Olympic) style shooting.
That looks like his Conventional Pistol (bullseye) match gun.
International rules require iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably the only gun around for the photo shoot. Most people have no idea what " standard pistol " is.

Slide mounting is very common on 1911 wadcutter bullseye guns and Ultra Dots stand up to it verywell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good luck to you Airman!

Can you describe the pistols you use?

The pistol pictured is only used in bullseye matches, they just happened to pick that picture with that gun...

As for the international pistols I use- Toz 35m, Steyr lp1, IZH 35, Walter gsp .22/.32, and a 215s.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]
USAFST-

How were you selected for the program?

Again, best of luck to you!

LT Screechjet, USN.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good on him.

CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK, MAN!!!  Any chance you could start a thread and keep us updated on your training?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good on him.

Welcome and GREAT JOB!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations. You make us all proud (I have a son in the USAF).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
USAFST-

LT Screechjet, USN.

It was a long process as you can imagine for a at the time 20 year old E-2 to get approved

First I asked the col. In charge of the usaf international team if I should apply, he strongly agreed that I should. Then I got the Olympic team coach and the Olympic committee for shooting sports approval. Then my chain of commands approval from my first line supervisor through my wing commander...then approval from my carrer field manager and commander. Then turned in the package to be reviewed by the AF sports agency with my info scores and placements and various big matches. Then I hurried up and waited, as they say in the AF, for my orders. I was nominated, selected, and approved. Then waited more months for my waivers and orders until I received them two weeks ago, and I report to Colorado tomorrow. Took about 11 months total
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
USAFST-

LT Screechjet, USN.

It was a long process as you can imagine for a at the time 20 year old E-2 to get approved

First I asked the col. In charge of the usaf international team if I should apply, he strongly agreed that I should. Then I got the Olympic team coach and the Olympic committee for shooting sports approval. Then my chain of commands approval from my first line supervisor through my wing commander...then approval from my carrer field manager and commander. Then turned in the package to be reviewed by the AF sports agency with my info scores and placements and various big matches. Then I hurried up and waited, as they say in the AF, for my orders. I was nominated, selected, and approved. Then waited more months for my waivers and orders until I received them two weeks ago, and I report to Colorado tomorrow. Took about 11 months total

Good luck, USAFST!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top