Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 8:33:32 AM EDT
Wally World has 150 grain .308 for this price for 20 rounds, I am wondering if this is a good price, I know online is always cheaper but I don't order online for ammo, I have a buddy that reloads but he wants $1 a round so whats the point to pay $1 a round for plinking/target .308?

Oh, its Federal in the blue box
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Wally World has 150 grain .308 for this price for 20 rounds, I am wondering if this is a good price, I know online is always cheaper but I don't order online for ammo, I have a buddy that reloads but he wants $1 a round so whats the point to pay $1 a round for plinking/target .308?

I think AIM has the best deal in "plinking" .308 right now.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ATU308FMJ&groupid=26
ETA: I think that $.70 per round is just crazy myself. If you don't mind buying in quantity and paying a bit of shipping then there is good stuff out there for less. If you are only going to shoot a box or two a year then I wouldn't worry about it. Depends on how much you shoot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Cabelas has WWB for $10.99...

Great brass if you reload...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Hard to beat that at retailers if you won't order online.  You apparently also don't reload, so you might hit the next gunshow and see if anybody is selling milsurp or Tula steel case 308.  At the last Indy 1500 milsurp was around 50 cents/rd, Tula was 30 cents.  You can beat that significantly online, of course, but not at many stores.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Your friends ammo is probably match grade, for $1; otherwise it's over priced

Sounds like a great Walmart price for ammo
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

do the math your bud is ripping you off

at a 1 A  POP
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Not so sure that $1/ rd is all that much of a ripoff. If he loads like me he's checking datum line on each case and holding to +\- .002, then inspecting for case seperation and all the other fussy details. All considered I have around 2-3 hours invested per 100 rds. Of course I also load Matchkings in my ammo and try to load accordingly. Between that mess and the liability I wouldn't even consider selling for a buck a round. Lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not so sure that $1/ rd is all that much of a ripoff. If he loads like me he's checking datum line on each case and holding to +\- .002, then inspecting for case seperation and all the other fussy details. All considered I have around 2-3 hours invested per 100 rds. Of course I also load Matchkings in my ammo and try to load accordingly. Between that mess and the liability I wouldn't even consider selling for a buck a round. Lol

Not to mention he's breaking Federal law by selling ammo without a license.  Lots of liability there and I've reloaded for friends in the past.

I saw some Magtech 150 FMJ/BT 308 on Natchez, or MidSouth and it was priced at $11.99/20, so adding shipping to that, the OP is in the ballpark.

More brass, more powder, more lead and more copper makes for more money.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Why not order online?  You save SO much money that it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention he's breaking Federal law by selling ammo without a license.  Lots of liability there and I've reloaded for friends in the past.

I saw some Magtech 150 FMJ/BT 308 on Natchez, or MidSouth and it was priced at $11.99/20, so adding shipping to that, the OP is in the ballpark.

More brass, more powder, more lead and more copper makes for more money.

Chris

Not if he's assembling components that were already purchased by other people (meaning the people he's selling to).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not order online?  You save SO much money that it's not even funny.

Sometimes.

What I may save in bulk ammo costs I often lose in shipping. This is just my case though, the popular ammo distributors aren't close to the west coast.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys for responding
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top