Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 6:58:00 AM EDT
I've worn Wolverine for years, and the only problem I have with them, is they only last 7-9 months per pair. I was thinking of forking up a little more dough, and trying a pair of Danners.

What say ye hive?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Best out there for duty use. I have also had good luck with Rocky Brand.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Best hunting boots I've ever owned. I would stick with the models they make in the U.S. though as they seem to fit better and last longer than the ones they make offshore. At least that's been my experience after five pair of their boots.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Stick with the sewn on soles, the rest are junky.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Awsome!!! Last for ever!! Can take a beating!!......I like em
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Danners are da bomb, and last forever.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
They will be for UPS use, so getting in/out of a truck 400 times a day as well as walking several miles over various terrain every day. From what I can tell, since Redwing officially left the country, Danner is the last US made boot around.

I'm looking at these.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Love mine...Have been wearing them daily for years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They will be for UPS use, so getting in/out of a truck 400 times a day as well as walking several miles over various terrain every day. From what I can tell, since Redwing officially left the country, Danner is the last US made boot around.

Some models are made here and some are made offshore. If you want them to last I would buy the U.S. made ones. Like Ian187 said get the ones with a sewn on sole.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Danners are da bomb, and last forever.

not to say they are bad boots, but no one in my profession uses them besides first year people who dont know any better. Custom made boots are the way to go/high end brands like whites/nicks/drews/wescos. You can rebuild these boots after every season for about 150 bucks. Even though you take a hit on a 400 bone pair of kicks, the money is well worth it because your feet are your  money makers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Try White's or Wesco - www.whitesboots.com and www.westcoastboots.com.  I have one pair of each - the whites were purchased in 1984 and have been rebuilt 4 times - I'm a forester with the USFS.

Both are expensive but imho worth it when you are wearing them every day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Danner boots are great, I am able to get several years and several resoles out of mine.

However I did wear out a few pairs so hard that they were unable to be re-crafted, which kind of confused me.... My impression was that they should be able to re-craft them pretty much indefinitely...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a pair of Acadias; best damn pair of boots I've ever worn.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some models are made here and some are made offshore. If you want them to last I would buy the U.S. made ones. Like Ian187 said get the ones with a sewn on sole.

mine need the soles replaced, but after 5 seasons of winter use I would give them a huge thumbs up
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#14]
GTG. Break in was short and painless.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple of pairs for hunting, and a pair for work. My work boots are going on 8 years, and they are still great. They need another sole on them, but other than that, flawless. I used to go through a pair of boots every year. Cheap boots would run about $100, and my Danners cost $200. 8 years with one pair of $200 boots compared to 1 year with $100 pair of boots. My hunting boots are awesome also. The negative is that there are more comfortable boots available, but I will take durability. Don't get me wrong, they are not uncomfortable; I wear them 10 hours a day, but there is stuff out there that feels like a tennis shoe, not a work boot.

BTW, the boots you are looking at in Cabela's are the boots I wear for work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I still have a few pair of Danner's (American Made models), and they are good boots.

Having said that, I have moved on to White's Boots (Smoke Jumpers).

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Whites are good stuff. I have two pairs-bought used- they're damn pricey....... Several pairs of Danners though and they have never let me down....unlike the Rockies I paid good money for that just fell apart.....Danners are great boots.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a pair of Made in the USA Danner Mountain Lights hiking boots, great boots; but you have wear them in.

You can get nearly 90% of the all-leather Mtn Light by buying the less expensive IIs, they have a kevlar panel.

The PRC-made boots have a molded on sole, they require little if any break in. Also the molded soles are also a bit lighter, I would say ~0.5lbs, that would translate into a ~1.0 - 1.25lbs since it is at the end of your foot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I only buy USA made boots, Danner, Matterhorn, and Belleville, no issues with any of them, put them all through lots of abuse.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Love my Danner's.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I have two pairs of Desert Acadias that hauled me around Northern Iraq and Baghdad for two years. I am wearing them right now, as my daily footwear.

I won't buy anything else.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a 15 year old pair of Danners that I wore mountain biking/hiking this past Tuesday.

roy d...anyone else have functional boots of another brand that are 15 years old?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I checked two local boot shops, bass pro, and cabela's with no luck. No one stocked any wide with boots. Bass pro had them in regular width, but the guy told me a pair of Bates would be just as good...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I LOVE my Danners, I where them to work every day walking on concrete in a prison. The are comfortable and your feet dont hurt at the end of the day.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I checked two local boot shops, bass pro, and cabela's with no luck. No one stocked any wide with boots. Bass pro had them in regular width, but the guy told me a pair of Bates would be just as good...

Bates = Teh Suck

Shoebuy.com. Search retailmenot.com for a 20% off coupon code.

Sportsmansguide.com + coupon. Before they sucked it was a good place for Danners. I got a pair of mountain lights there.

Or try Botach at your own risk.

I wear 13EE, 13EEEE if I can find them, I feel your pain.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer Bellevilles
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was active duty, I was stationed for 10 years in Alaska.  I wore a pair of Danners at least 5 days a week year round.  After 3 years of hard use the right boot started to leak water.
I called Danner, got the address for their repair shop and mailed them the boots with a note explaining that they were 3 years old, way past warranty and i needed them fixed.  I said let me know what the charge is and I'll pay by credit card right away.
One of the guys from the shop called me back after receiving the package and asked me what size boot I needed?  He said they werent going to mess with repairing a 3 year old pair of boots for one of their service members in Alaska of all places.  A week later I get the box, they upgraded to a pair with more insulation and had thrown in a nice folding lock blade knife with the Danner name on it.
I have been retied since '06 now but I still wear danner boots and always will I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I like Danner boots.  I had a pair, they were the lightweight hiking boot style, but I wore them outside in Prudhoe Bay at -20 to -30 F for a 6-hour task unloading a trailer and they kept my feet warm the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I prefer Bellevilles

Agreed, Bellevilles are built like a brick shithouse and aren't narrow in the front like the Desert Acadias are.  The Danner's are also built well, but I am not the only one to complain about the narrwe fit in the toe.  A wide, my heel isn't supported and gets blisters, a standard width I better not wear anything but think socks or my feet get sore up front.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#30]
TAG
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#31]
My first pair of Acadias lasted 12 years. Just bought my second pair this year and they barely look broken in.

As others have said, they are re-soleable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#32]
All made-in-USA page:    

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat603098&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat20564&parentType=category&parentId=cat20564
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awsome!!! Last for ever!! Can take a beating!!......I like em

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
My brother had one set of the lightweights for seemingly ever - we both took note at how well they held up.

Problem was - Danner didn't make boots in narrow widths, so while he could buy another set, even if they were the greatest footwear, ever, they'd be a pain in the ass for me... so I didn't buy myself a set.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a pair I affectionately call "Foot Pussies"
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I prefer Bellevilles

I do too.

Danner's run narrow and some of their stuff is made in Asia.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My brother had one set of the lightweights for seemingly ever - we both took note at how well they held up.

Problem was - Danner didn't make boots in narrow widths, so while he could buy another set, even if they were the greatest footwear, ever, they'd be a pain in the ass for me... so I didn't buy myself a set.

Acording to this, they do now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top