Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 10:01:23 PM EDT
We should give them a choice - either do what we tell you to or we're pulling our troops out -  we'll secure our own border, good luck with yours.

http://gretawire.blogs.foxnews.com/why-wont-south-korea-back-us-100-we-dont-need-95-we-need-100/

Why won't South Korea back us 100% ? We don't need 95%, we need 100%

Let's face it - sanctions do NOT  work and will not work if there is a leak or hole in them.  So it is perplexing that a country - South Korea - that we have been protecting with American lives for 60 years is playing us over Iran.  Why? money over principle and long term safety to this planet.

Here is the story:  We have asked South Korea to join us in imposing sanctions on Iran.  This is for us, for them and for the world.

Until Wednesday, South Korea has dragged its feet in response to our request (what's with that? you would think they would jump in and help at once since we just helped them with North Korea over the sinking of their ship and loss of 46 sailors.....not to mention 60 years of American troops and lost lives.)  South Korea is announcing they are imposing some....but not all.  There is a major gap in what they are willing to do.  And, guess what happens when sanctions are half baked? have gaps and leaks? I don't need to tell you it means the sanctions are limp and worthless at creating the intended effect - here to discourage Iran from going nuclear. I know our State Department is publicly acting happy with South Korea like we got all we asked for but that is simply not so.   (And let me repeat, of all countries to snub us!)

Here is the what they have agreed to do:  South Korea, with US pressure, has added 102 Iranian firms and 24 people to a blacklist of who South Koreans can not do business with .....and promised to inspect cargo more diligently (more diligently? how about completely?) and hold back on investment in oil and gas business deals.

BUT...South Korea REFUSES to shut down Bank Mellat - which is the Iranian bank in South Korea that is critical to Iranian business.  This bank operating in South Korea is very important to Iran.  We asked South Korea to shut down this bank.  They are not.  They refused us.  This is NOT insignificant - not only does it snub us (how about those American troops at the DMZ protecting them? or how about Secretary of State Clinton and Secretary of Defense recent symbolic visit to the DMZ?)  but worse it provides a leak in the sanctions and renders sanctions worthless.

I don't need to tell you that South Korea knows about the danger of nuclear weapons.  South Korea is the country most nervous about a North Korea armed country (and of course we spend lots of our  time and our resources on that problem for them) but a nuclear armed Iran is a threat to the world.

I realize that sanctions would create a short term economic hardship for South Korea but what about long term hardship for the world? If everyone is going to cheat when it comes to sanctions, why do we kid ourselves and impose them?

So while our State Department can praise South Korea for its announcement, I think it is lousy of South Korea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
There is probably more to this story than is being reported. Like a good poker play, maybe the ROK are not showing all of their cards.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not opposed to pulling our troops out of Korea. We should quit heaping dept to China on future generations to protect other nations.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Bunch of ingrates.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The current Long-Range Strategic Defence Plan of the ROK includes a pure ROK force, without US troops stationed in the country.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The current Long-Range Strategic Defence Plan of the ROK includes a pure ROK force, without US troops stationed in the country.

NTM

It's been 60 years - how long before they can handle their own border?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

They pretty much already are...

The US has less than a brigade of actual combat troops in country....

2/9 IN and 1/72 AR - 2 BN of combined-arms (Armor and Mech Infantry) IIRC...

That's *IT*.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
There is no military reason to foward deploy to ROK.

We only remain so US blood will be spilled giving us a sympathetic casus belli.  These days, with our vast fast sea lift fleet, there is no reason we need to forward deploy anything other than MEU's at sea and a MPF or two with MAGTAF gear.  All prepo stocks, all garrison bases should be shut down.  Use the savings to flesh out our transport assets as needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

NTM

They pretty much already are...

The US has less than a brigade of actual combat troops in country....

2/9 IN and 1/72 AR - 2 BN of combined-arms (Armor and Mech Infantry) IIRC...

That's *IT*.

I spent a couple of Army years in the ROK, with the last ending in 2007.  It is actually where I left the service.

Trust me - they don't need us anymore and have not for some time.  The ROK Army is EXTREMELY capable of handling any threat from N. Korea.

In my opinion, our forces have been in the ROK for our own interests more than the ROK interests for quite a while.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
South Korea can hold their own. Our presence their gives the North a deterrent to not try anything funny(aka arty attack on Seoul).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We only remain so US blood will be spilled giving us a sympathetic casus belli.  These days, with our vast fast sea lift fleet, there is no reason we need to forward deploy anything other than MEU's at sea and a MPF or two with MAGTAF gear.  All prepo stocks, all garrison bases should be shut down.  Use the savings to flesh out our transport assets as needed.

Marines can't do it all...

We need pre-po in places like Kuwait, etc...

That said, our Korea presence is symbolic more than anything else....

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We only remain so US blood will be spilled giving us a sympathetic casus belli. These days, with our vast fast sea lift fleet, there is no reason we need to forward deploy anything other than MEU's at sea and a MPF or two with MAGTAF gear. All prepo stocks, all garrison bases should be shut down. Use the savings to flesh out our transport assets as needed.

How about smoking hot $20 whores? Too bad they stink like kimchi though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps the bank serves some useful purpose to them regarding North Korea.  After all, Iran and North Korea do trade and have military connections.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top