Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:36:13 PM EDT
Story Link

9/8/2010 - DYESS AIR FORCE BASE, Texas –– A Dyess Air Force Base B-1 Bomber carried a full load of 24 AGM-158 Joint Air to Surface Standoff Missiles on a five-hour flight into the Gulf of Mexico Sept. 7, a first for the B-1 and AGM-158.

"The mission was a success, everything went as planned, and we can verify that the B-1B can in fact operate its full capacity of JASSMs," said Maj. Brian "Brick" Owen, chief of wing weapons and tactics.

The purpose of the flight was to ensure maintainers, ammo and munitions troops, and B-1 aircrew are proficient in uploading, flying, employing and downloading the AGM-158 JASSM, and to test all missile-related processes to see if there's any room for improvement. None of the missiles were released during this test; they were system-checked while in the air.

<more in the link>

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
To bad the Bird is destined to be scrapped given current budget cuts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It was recommended by committee.  It's not on the block yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was recommended by committee.  It's not on the block yet.

Everything is on the block officially or not.  These next round of cuts are going to be some of the worse for every service.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I'd love to drop a full load of JASSM on some terrorists.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Once again the BONE is full of win!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Great post OP, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Were they blowing up oil rigs?  See I just started a conspiracy rumor.  Eat your heart out alex jones.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
That video was intense.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That video was intense.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Pulling the B-1 out of service would be a BIG fucking mistake... Not just because I like them, they have proven themselves as very useful over the last 8.5yrs.

A B-1 saved a friend's life, keep them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for home viewing...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#13]
No offense but the B-1 is not nessasary in the current war on terror, Hadji doesn't really care if he gets blown up by a JDAM froma B-1 or a Jdam from an F-16 and last time I checked we dotn drop but 1 at a time in most CAS missions. Scrap it, save some cash. We got other planes that can do the same thing as it can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
That video is..just..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No offense but the B-1 is not nessasary in the current war on terror, Hadji doesn't really care if he gets blown up by a JDAM froma B-1 or a Jdam from an F-16 and last time I checked we dotn drop but 1 at a time in most CAS missions. Scrap it, save some cash. We got other planes that can do the same thing as it can.

not... so much.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

not... so much.

This.

A B-ONE-R with a full load is a force to be reckoned with.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Didn't somebody say something once about the folly of always fighting the last war?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Still fighting that last war, huh?  Tell Gen. Custer I said hello would ya?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
We got 3 Strategic Bombers...........lets be resonable here folks, lotta money to keep em flying, trust me I know my airframe I fly on is old too.
I agree the BONE s the Fucking Cats ass, sitting on the end of the Runway in Qatar 150Ft away from one as it takes off with all 4 after burners going is awesome but like I said its not needed. The B-2 and the B-52 are enough. explain to me what a B-1 can do that those cant, and dont give me "go supersonic real low" cause its not ever gonna happen, plus the B-52 can do deep penatration at low alt aswell, not as fast but it can. All they do in Iraq and Afghanistan is orbit above the battlefeild and wait to get a 911 call......A UAV can do the same damn thing for way cheaper and less danger to the crew.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

We got 3 Strategic Bombers...........lets be resonable here folks, lotta money to keep em flying, trust me I know my airframe I fly on is old too.

I agree the BONE s the Fucking Cats ass, sitting on the end of the Runway in Qatar 150Ft away from one as it takes off with all 4 after burners going is awesome but like I said its not needed. The B-2 and the B-52 are enough. explain to me what a B-1 can do that those cant, and dont give me "go supersonic real low" cause its not ever gonna happen, plus the B-52 can do deep penatration at low alt aswell, not as fast but it can. All they do in Iraq and Afghanistan is orbit above the battlefeild and wait to get a 911 call......A UAV can do the same damn thing for way cheaper and less danger to the crew.

The hooch, son.  Put it down.

They tried doing that with B52s a few decades ago.  After losing a number of them, they decided it was a bad idea.  Plus, we're running out of B52s to cannibalize at a frightening rate when compared to the B-1, or so it seemed at the boneyard earlier this summer.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#21]
JDAM = WWII, Korea, Vietnam Dumb bomb with a GPS guidance system making it a Smart Ass Bomb
JASSM = A newly created Napalm on steriod's Bomb for blowing up and incinerating the insides of caves and tunnels.

Before commenting on Bombs make sure you know what thier use is for and Nomiclature is about. As for the B-1, B-2 along with the 117's are up for scrap if the Joint Force Strike Fighter and F-22 actually go into production and can carry out the mission roles those 3 Bombers fill. The only major air frames to be cut out in the last 15 years from the US is the F-4 & F-14. All others are still in service in some form be Reserves or Air Guard.

The B-2 is the only aircraft that can carry large air to surface standoff weapons in a stealth configuration.The bomber has a crew of two and can drop up to 80 x 500 lb (230 kg)-class JDAM GPS-guided bombs, or 16 x 2,400 lb (1,100 kg) B83 nuclear bombs.

B-1 Will take off from shorter Air Fields compared to the BUF-52. relatively small aircraft with a 125,000 lb (56,600 kg) ; internal and external ordnance payload and a range of 8,750 nautical miles (16,200 km), with 2,500 nmi (4,600 km) being flown at low altitudes.

F-117 2 × internal weapons bays with one hardpoint each (total of two weapons)

B-52 Maximum speed: 560 kt (650 mph, 1,000 km/h) Combat radius: 4,480 mi (3,890 NM, 7,210 km)  Approximately 70,000 pounds (31,500 kg) mixed ordnance; bombs, mines, missiles, in various configurations
Each Air frame was speced out for certain Job's and combat situations!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Story Link

9/8/2010 - DYESS AIR FORCE BASE, Texas –– A Dyess Air Force Base B-1 Bomber carried a full load of 24 AGM-158 Joint Air to Surface Standoff Missiles on a five-hour flight into the Gulf of Mexico Sept. 7, a first for the B-1 and AGM-158.

"The mission was a success, everything went as planned, and we can verify that the B-1B can in fact operate its full capacity of JASSMs," said Maj. Brian "Brick" Owen, chief of wing weapons and tactics.

The purpose of the flight was to ensure maintainers, ammo and munitions troops, and B-1 aircrew are proficient in uploading, flying, employing and downloading the AGM-158 JASSM, and to test all missile-related processes to see if there's any room for improvement. None of the missiles were released during this test; they were system-checked while in the air.

"Maintainers loading 24 JASSMs on one B-1 is a record-setting event," said Senior Master Sgt. Jeff Rud, 7th Maintenance Group. "It's never been done before. The main reason we're doing this is for training. It's the cornerstone of all we do. It provides us the opportunity to hone our warfighting skills and gives us the opportunity to project our combat capability right here out of the Big Country at Dyess."

According to Major Owen, the B-1 is the most capable JASSM employment platform in the world.

"We've seen the engineering specs that say it's supposed to work, but it's never been done before," Major Owen said . "What makes the B-1 unique versus the other aircraft around the world is that we can employ these weapons on such a large scale. We can take off with two aircraft and have the capability to strike 48 different targets."

The second most capable aircraft is the B-2 Spirit carrying 16 JASMMs, followed by the B-52 Stratofortress with 12.

The AGM-158 JASSM is designed to keep the jet and its crew a significant distance away from surface to air threats while still holding an enemy's targets at risk.

The AGM-158A is a stealthy cruise missile powered by a Teledyne CAE J402 turbojet that uses flip-out wings with control surfaces and a single vertical tail for flight control. It's guided by a jamming-resistant GPS-aided inertial navigation system, and uses an imaging infrared seeker for autonomous pattern-based target selection and terminal homing.

The missile is armed with a 1,000 pound WDU-42/B insensitive munitions penetrating warhead, and accuracy is quoted as within 8 feet. It is also equipped with a data link to transmit status and location information until impact to assist bomb damage assessment.

"I've been in the aircraft maintenance business for more than 24 years and anytime you have the opportunity to do something first, it is a real morale booster," Sergeant Rud said. "It gives us here at Dyess bragging rights, and that goes a long way in terms of building pride in your unit and pride in the aircraft you work on. I have found that people love to do their primary job, whether it's ammo line delivery crews delivering bombs or weapons loaders loading bombs. It's in these moments that people get energized when they see their part of an operation come together with the other pieces of the puzzle that makes them feel good about what they do."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJi2K8mKTRM&feature=player_embedded

That would pretty much be Beavis's all time favorite video if he were still around today (can't wait for the new planned episodes!).

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We still need the readily available capability to put massive amounts of cheap dumb bombs on a target.  And we need to bring back napalm.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Don't fight the current war, or the past war.  Plan to fight the future war.

We won't ALWAYS be fighting Hadji in a cave.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I can fap to that video all day long.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

JDAM = WWII, Korea, Vietnam Dumb bomb with a GPS guidance system making it a Smart Ass Bomb

JASSM = A newly created Napalm on steriod's Bomb for blowing up and incinerating the insides of caves and tunnels.

Before commenting on Bombs make sure you know what thier use is for and Nomiclature is about. As for the B-1, B-2 along with the 117's are up for scrap if the Joint Force Strike Fighter and F-22 actually go into production and can carry out the mission roles those 3 Bombers fill. The only major air frames to be cut out in the last 15 years from the US is the F-4 & F-14. All others are still in service in some form be Reserves or Air Guard.

I'm pretty sure the -117's are already gone.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Just Like the SR-71.... it's not in the Air Force but CIA & NASA has a few are they still running 'em????? Just cuase the Air Force dosn't have certain Air Frames... dosn't mean the Goverment won't still utilize them in some form under a diffrent agancy as a Rue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Got an old friend that flies B-1s out of Dyess.   I'm sure he knows all the details... but of course, can't tell me much.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

So dump the 52, not the 1...

The slower aircraft, with the lower bomb load and zero 'other war' survivability, is the obvious choice to cut...

There's nothing the 52 can do, that the 1 can't, besides deploy nukes - and that's a 'paper' (treaty) limitation...

Even without it's external hardpoints, the B-1 lifts more bombs, and does it faster (which matters for an aircraft that is used for CAS) than the B-52.

Since the B-2 can deploy nukes, there's nothing to keep the 52 around for.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

F-117 2 × internal weapons bays with one hardpoint each (total of two weapons)

Out of service completely.

Not at D-M due to what it is, but they have been retired.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
High speed camera + Explosions = Win.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#32]
so much win!!  Its awesome to see the power Lockheed Martin can create. But it almost brings a tear to my eye to see something that took me 7 hours to build go boom!. God i love my job.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:57:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Actually, its still VERY useful in the current war.  B-1s still provide a tremendous show of presence, show of force, and have much better payload and loiter times than some of our other bomb dropping assets.  

There are still CAS missions in which more than one bomb is dropped, one doesn't always get the job done.

The B-1 is still highly capable and possess some of the best lethality we have, to scrap it is simply foolish.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So dump the 52, not the 1...

The slower aircraft, with the lower bomb load and zero 'other war' survivability, is the obvious choice to cut...

There's nothing the 52 can do, that the 1 can't, besides deploy nukes - and that's a 'paper' (treaty) limitation...

Even without it's external hardpoints, the B-1 lifts more bombs, and does it faster (which matters for an aircraft that is used for CAS) than the B-52.

Since the B-2 can deploy nukes, there's nothing to keep the 52 around for.

B-52 is able to operate with less expense than the others bombers, and is expected to last longer than the other bombers. (80 years is expected life of the youngest airframe)
B-1 is able to carry a whole lot of whoop-ass, really fast, and kill a bunch of people, and break their stuff in a hurry.
B-2 Is stealthy, and carries a significant capacity, that fighter-bombers can't match.

BUT

B-52 has the lowest performance, and is least survivable
B-1 has a very high maintenance cost, with airframes that are weakening fast
B-2 is enormously expensive, and shouldn't be risked for some missions, and requires special hanger facilities.

They all have their strengths, weaknesses, and uses. Getting rid of one or the other without a replacement severely weakens the United States ability to project strategic power.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are you insane? There's a reason those women wear veils!!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:55:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I like the last target they took out.

HELLO IRAN!!!  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We have 3 Strategic Bombers...........lets be resonable here folks, lotta money to keep em flying, trust me I know my airframe I fly on is old too.

Grammar is fundamental when you want people to take you seriously.

Oh and      
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Why are poeple comparing JASSM's and JDAM's 2 totaly diffrent Bombs!!!! Both GPS/Laser Guided, One is a explosive BOOOM, the other is a Vapor of Gas to induce a Skin/lung cooking explosion.

B-52 700+ roughly made
B-1  200+ roughly made
B-2  22 roughly made
Not all of these are Fly able, have had crashes, or some on moth balls.

F-117..... guess the paint job service life expired. Time for High end Soda Can!!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why are poeple comparing JASSM's and JDAM's 2 totaly diffrent Bombs!!!! Both GPS/Laser Guided, One is a explosive BOOOM, the other is a Vapor of Gas to induce a Skin/lung cooking explosion.

B-52 700+ roughly made
B-1  200+ roughly made
B-2  22 roughly made
Not all of these are Fly able, have had crashes, or some on moth balls.

F-117..... guess the paint job service life expired. Time for High end Soda Can!!!

Where do you get this info? Pulling it out of thin air?  

Neither weapons are GPS guided...they are inertially guided, GPS AIDED.   Both go boom. WTF is a Vapor of Gas to induced Skin/lung cooking explosions?

There were only 100 B-1s made...unless that's what you meant by "roughly".  Of those 100 made, less than 70 are in active service.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:02:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes, because from now on we will only fight barbarians in caves with AK-47s

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:03:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#42]

And then I JASSM'd in my pants...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you insane? There's a reason those women wear veils!!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

what in the fuck are you talking about
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I wonder how long the engineers tried to get the acronym be JIZM before giving up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
High speed camera + Explosions = Win.

No shit
I used to score stuff like this for 20 Years, until  I moved on to other areas
even though I work with stuff everyday I am still amazed at the progress of smart weapons since the 1980's
If We can survive the upcoming budget cuts the US will still lead the way
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Lock-Mart's catchphrase is grammatically incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The B1 has the highest payload. It has been used supersonic at low altitude for "show of force" and has been effective at it. Want to put cover over Afghanistan? One B-1 can get to any point in the country quickly. Not so for the B52.

And trashing the B-1 isn't even thinking about the last war. It dismisses it's role in the beginning of the CURRENT war. B-1 simply are better at penetrating hostile airspace and delivering weapons than the B-52. Gotta take out the AA abilities before you can use the bombtrucks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No offense but the B-1 is not necessary in the current war on terror, Hadji doesn't really care if he gets blown up by a JDAM from a B-1 or a Jdam from an F-16 and last time I checked we dotn drop but 1 at a time in most CAS missions. Scrap it, save some cash. We got other planes that can do the same thing as it can.

not... so much.

This.

A B-ONE-R with a full load is a force to be reckoned with.

NM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top