Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:25 PM EDT
New policy here: Get an influenza vaccine, or get let go.

I have passed for the last three years, now my job is in the balance?

Pretty messed up, but thier hospital, thier rules.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
just say you are allergic to eggs

eta:i also dont see how they can force you to get a shot
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I don't think they are going to make it that easy.....

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
At my mother's hospital it was "get the shot" or "wear a mask."
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not an option here....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
what size mask?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You said it.  Their hospital, their rules.  I guess it boils down to how much you like said hospital.  3 years seniority isn't much but it is something.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
3 years seniority isn't much but it is something.

16 years....

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well how about you say its against your religious views

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What religion would that be?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Uh, the .mil required that I get a flu shot every year and I managed to do that without dying for a couple of decades, so I'd go with a "yes."

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of the shit they try to put in you here in the US is banned in other countries. I'd tell them to fuck off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the shot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 years seniority isn't much but it is something.

16 years....

No-brainer.  Get the shot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I  see both sides man.  I dodged them for years on active duty then the .mil made them mandatory, even for reservists, failure to comply = failure to follow a lawful order.  I'll take the shot over the nasal mist.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This, it works.  I wanted to get one several years ago and was refused for having a slight sensitivity to eggs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? If you actually are allergic to eggs and they tried to give you the shot anyway you'd sue the shit out of them. Why wouldn't they accept that as an excuse from you?

Or... Just get the shot and quit compaining about small stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
dumb question but why refuse a flu vaccine?

Why is getting the flu shot such a big deal that you are willing to risk your job?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Respectfully-

Having received numerous Anthrax shots, smallpox, H1N1, Hep A/B, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, and annual PPD/TSTs in addition to annual flu shots for thirteen years in the military there is NO FUCKING WAY I would give up 16 years at a job over a flu shot.  

But that's just me.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/31/9/1-b

Ethical issues

Employees of health care institutions have an ethical and professional obligation to act in the best interest of their patients’ health. Recognized medical and religious exemptions to mandated influenza immunization can be granted on an individual basis, so requiring influenza immunization for HCP is ethically justified. A policy also is needed for the management of personnel granted an exemption.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't understand.
Why WOULDN'T you want the shot???
Is it just because they said you have to have it or lose your job?
I don't understand (unless there is some sort of certifiable reason) why anyone wouldn't want a flu shot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
How To Avoid Forced Flu Vaccine (AKA Religion Finally Helps Us?)

http://newsuncensored.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-avoid-forced-flu-vaccine-aka.html

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude get the shot. Trust me right now is a really good time to not get fired.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What religion would that be?

shouldnt matter. "The Church of ecgRN"  sounds good to me

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Respectfully-

Having received numerous Anthrax shots, smallpox, H1N1, Hep A/B, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, and annual PPD/TSTs in addition to annual flu shots for thirteen years in the military there is NO FUCKING WAY I would give up 16 years at a job over a flu shot.  

But that's just me.  

What he said, but a little longer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never had the flu, to my knowledge but every year I have to get that damn shot.  And for the next 3 days I end up feeling like shit.  I know it's not supposed to make you sick but I swear it happens every damn year (maybe its just allergies and the time of year).  Anyhow get the damn shot.  in this economy you dont want to be outta work.  If your still having doubts go to an unemployment office and ask some folks there what they think
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#26]
As a Nurse for almost 15 years, I get the vaccines.  I am protecting myself from my patients & vice versa.  If I am sick, I can't work OR I could pass it on the a patient who is already immunocompromised, which could be fatal for some.

In this economy, I would advise to get the vaccine, unless you are rich & don't need to work!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#27]
No real reason to not get the shot IMO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't understand.
I don't understand (unless there is some sort of certifiable reason) why anyone wouldn't want a flu shot.

there is no way in hell anyone is going to force me to take a shot. Im 26 now, and I was 10 when i got my last flu shot. i got sick as hell, and spent a few days in the hospital because of it.

dont know if it would happen to me again or not, but i really dont want to find out
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Because he wants too?  I always have the option, and never bother to go get it either.

I've also never gotten the flu, and very rarely get sick.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#30]
At some point you just have to man up and say enough is enough. Name tag fine, uniform, ok, forcing me to get a vaccine in order to keep my job not ok. At what point will you say no when it comes to your job? You're not a slave or test subject you are a free human being, you have the right to refuse. Again I would tell them to join a circle jerk and hit the road.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center has tons of RN jobs.......and they don't force the shot on you.......yet.....

https://www.healthcaresource.com/umcwy/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.categoryList&template=dsp_job_categories.cfm

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center has tons of RN jobs.......

Driving up the road at 11mpg would break me......

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've had the flu once in my life.  Why on earth would I want to vaccinate for that?  It's a waste of a dose, a waste of my time, and a waste of money.  Mybe ecgRN is the same way?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Not an ER dude.. But I never get the shot and fuck the flu. I haven't had it in a million years.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand.

there is no way in hell anyone is going to force me to take a shot. Im 26 now, and I was 10 when i got my last flu shot. i got sick as hell, and spent a few days in the hospital because of it.

dont know if it would happen to me again or not, but i really dont want to find out

From what I understand there are a few people who shouldn't get the flu shot, looks like maybe you might fit one of the following - no reason not to get the shot if the following doesn't apply:

* people who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs;
   * those who have had a severe reaction to a flu shot in the past;
   * people who have developed Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of getting a flu shot in the past;
   * children between the ages of birth to 6 months of age; and
   * people who have a moderate or severe illness with a fever.  These people should wait to get a flu shot until their symptoms lessen.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Say you're allergic to eggs.
I have to get flu shots, they don't make me sick.  I don't think they work, but the only adverse affect is that your arm is sore for 2-3 days.  BFD.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center has tons of RN jobs.......

Driving up the road at 11mpg would break me......

Not to mention they are trying to be like PVH and failing miserably...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had the flu once in my life.  Why on earth would I want to vaccinate for that?  It's a waste of a dose, a waste of my time, and a waste of money.  Mybe ecgRN is the same way?

Guess I should rephrase my question. Why is getting the flu shot such a big deal that you are willing to risk you job?

Nathan- you are a lucky SOB, it never fails that if I don't get the flu shot, then I am sick as a dog for about a week with the damn flu.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I don't understand.

Because being told to get a medical treatment to continue employment is unAmerican and anti freedom.

What next, Hooters mandates breast augmentations?? Same philosophy.

I actually got H1N1, they then still tried to make me get the shot...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#40]
If the hospital is paying for the shot, go ahead.  In this economy it's not worth your job.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#41]
CNN link.....

Quoted:
Not to mention they are trying to be like PVH and failing miserably...

How so? IM me....

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I was told in nursing school last year to "get the flu shot and the h1n1 or you cant do clinicals" which means you fail the semester. yeah that sounds fair doesnt it...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Same here.  

either get the shot.  Or wear a mask for 12 hours a day, all flu season.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Just curious. Have you had your Hep B series?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Liability issue.

Unvaccinated employees are a lawsuit risk, and they don't owe you a job.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just curious. Have you had your Hep B series?

Yeah. Hep B scares me more than the flu.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Our hospital is shot or mask.

It's also a public health issue, since they don't want medical providers pulling a Typhoid Mary.

I've got a wife, newborn son, and a 3 year old with severe asthma. The shot is more for their protection than my own.

Pick your line in the sand. If this is it, then do what you feel you must.
If it was something you'd have done anyway. If so, and with a little grumbling, then maybe that isn't the right windmill for you to joust, Don Quihote.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Edited for all the stupid BlackBerry Storm text input errors.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I should rephrase my question. Why is getting the flu shot such a big deal that you are willing to risk you job?

Nathan- you are a lucky SOB, it never fails that if I don't get the flu shot, then I am sick as a dog for about a week with the damn flu.

Oh trust me, I know!  It doesn't look very fun...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#49]
happy middle ground: request the shot without preservatives.... afluria as i recall.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pick your line in the sand. If this is it, then do what you beel you must.
I'd it was something you'd have done anyway. It with a little grumbling, then maybe that isn't the right windmill for you to joust, Don QUihote.
the shot anyway, t

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Altough I understand what you meant, you may want to turn down the Propofol a bit.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top