Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2010 6:04:26 PM EDT
UGH!

Recently they made a new rule at my work, where pretty much everyone now has to wear safety (steel toe) shoes.  So last Friday on the way home I stopped at the Red Wing store and bought a new pair of non-metallic safety toed work boots.

So I'm sitting here tonight and realize that my dog, who is normally my shadow and never leaves my side isn't here.  At this I'm thinking "oh fuck" because I know something bad is happening.  I get up to explore and find him in the other room eating one of my brand new leather boots.  Needless to say we had a little "talk" and now he's in time out.  He's never shown any interest in shoes before, why did it have to be my new ones? UGH.

I've literally only worn these things to work 3 days.  What really sucks is now I'm going to have to spend another $170 to replace a pair of boots less then a week old. Think I'm going to try to call the Red Wing customer service tomorrow and see I if I can somehow order a replacement for the one that was destroyed as they are brand new.  

Lesson learned new shoes are going to be left in somewhere inaccessible.

Oh, and pics of the accused.

And one of his partner in crime, although she didn't have any part in this one.

UPDATE 09/10/10
I went to my Red Wing dealer to see if they could repair the boots.  To my suprise they said they would replaced them "under warranty" but "only this time".

So becasue of their excellent customer service I will continue to buy from them in the future.  And I don't have to skin a dog tonight for new footware.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess he didn't want the old stinky boots.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Dog gone...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
"I swear boss, the dog ate my work boots..."

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
any LEOs near by?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Had that happen to me.  Brand new pair of boots, a few drops of deer blood I didn't notice...  They were the only boots I had ever purchased that were 100% comfortable and supple, to me, right out of the box.    Was about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
any LEOs near by?

No, not since my scitso neighbor got shot by his BIL, it's been pretty quiet around here.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
did you get them oiled ? mink oil
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Reason #48673975693 that the boots belong in the mudroom and the dog belongs in the yard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
BAD DOG, BAD!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reason #48673975693 that the boots belong in the mudroom and the dog belongs in the yard.

Yeah that too. Who decided that dogs belong indoors?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]
He's dead now, but my golden retriever was terrible about chewing stuff up.    I got him when I was 12 and before I moved out he chewed up:

- at least 5 wiring harnesses off the utility trailer
- 2 harnesses off dad's boat trailer
- my sister's wedding shoes she left under her bed when she got married and moved out
- 2 garden hoses
- umpteen pairs of shoes
- my brand new baseball glove when I was in little league
- the seat off of the 3 wheeler
- the seat off the lawn mower

That's about all I can think of right now, but that dog chewed up a lot of money.  

I miss him.  

Sucks about your boots.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
did you get them oiled ? mink oil

Negative, took them out of the box and put them on my feet and wore them to work.  Came home took them off and set them next to the door.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
THey are cute and worth a whole lote more than some boots. Who cares what they look like as long as they do the Job!

What size boot are you?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"I swear boss, the dog ate my work boots..."

Some kids never change...  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He's dead now, but my golden retriever was terrible about chewing stuff up.    I got him when I was 12 and before I moved out he chewed up:

- at least 5 wiring harnesses off the utility trailer
- 2 harnesses off dad's boat trailer
- my sister's wedding shoes she left under her bed when she got married and moved out
- 2 garden hoses
- umpteen pairs of shoes
- my brand new baseball glove when I was in little league
- the seat off of the 3 wheeler
- the seat off the lawn mower

That's about all I can think of right now, but that dog chewed up a lot of money.  

I miss him.  

Sucks about your boots.

HAHA, we had a Lab like that growing up.  

- She chewed/pulled the vinyl siding off my parents house
-ate the bumper on my mom's car
-ripped the leather bra off my brother Z28 (remember when those where popular)
-tear apart chain link fences with her teeth (then go sit on the front pouch)
-I don't know how many screen doors.

Shit happens, I know it's my fault for not watching him.  Just venting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
THey are cute and worth a whole lote more than some boots. Who cares what they look like as long as they do the Job!

What size boot are you?

He basically started at the ankle and ripped the back out, I don't know how it would stay on my foot.

Despite having a few quirks from being rescues, they are good dogs, and I would never get rid of them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
No boot pic?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size boot are you?

He basically started at the ankle and ripped the back out, I don't know how it would stay on my foot.

Despite having a few quirks from being rescues, they are good dogs, and I would never get rid of them.

My last 3 labs were rescues infact all my dogs except one have been and I adopted her from a friend who couldnt keep her. She was also a black lab.

What size boots do you wear? I think I have a pair of steel toes I bought for a job a GE that required them that we never even wound up doing. I think I tried them on and maybe walked to the mailbox with them and back.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
A lab that chews!?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#20]
My pup went through that

-16yo bottle of scotch, chewed the cork out

-surefire light

-favorite book

-cable modem

-wifes camelbak

Cured him from it pretty quick for the most part, but every once in a while he gets into the trash and chews up some q-tips
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No boot pic?

Here you go, LOL.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah that too. Who decided that dogs belong indoors?

I hope my sarcasm meter is broken

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A lab that chews!?

I know shocking...  But he has never really been interested in chewing on anything except for rawhide treats, an apparently my new boots.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No boot pic?

Here you go, LOL.

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/x1wrider/84f62838.jpg

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Skin dog for new boots. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one lab that chewed. Oddly she ONLY chewed Lauras underwear.  If you left a laundry basket in reach she would pick them out of it and nothing else. Clean or not and shred them and pull them all infront of her like pillow

Nothing like waking up to screaming , chattering dog nails on hardwood floors and mass insanity lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size boot are you?

My last 3 labs were rescues infact all my dogs except one have been and I adopted her from a friend who couldnt keep her. She was also a black lab.

What size boots do you wear? I think I have a pair of steel toes I bought for a job a GE that required them that we never even wound up doing. I think I tried them on and maybe walked to the mailbox with them and back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for rescuing dogs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd have killed the damn thing over that one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I am dealing with this in a rescue GSD, but on a lesser scale. I have a friend that is a world class dog trainer. I am retired and devoting a lot of effort to work with this dog. High energy dogs MUST have lots of physical activity. If you can't deliver that  obligation and challenge the dog might need go to another person or persons. That's not what you  probably want to hear, but I it is probably a fact.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#30]
as long as your homework is intact
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]
For those that asked, the boots in question where size 11 E2.

Gonna call Red Wing tomorrow and see I can buy just the left shoe.  I know it sounds crazy, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask them this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Unpossible.

ARFcom told me only cats can be assholes...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Modern technology has given us the "correction collar". Buy one, use one, you will be amazed!
It could do wonders on a wayward female human too!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am dealing with this in a rescue GSD, but on a lesser scale. I have a friend that is a world class dog trainer. I am retired and devoting a lot of effort to work with this dog. High energy dogs MUST have lots of physical activity. If you can't deliver that  obligation and challenge the dog might need go to another person or persons. That's not what you  probably want to hear, but I it is probably a fact.

This isn't normal behavior.  I'm aware of the dogs physical needs, but thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Modern technology has given us the "correction collar". Buy one, use one, you will be amazed!

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No boot pic?

Here you go, LOL.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#37]
We used to have a saying for when one of the dogs chewed something.... "its cheaper than a seat belt."

Yes, one of them (never figured out which) chewed through a seat belt.  That was more expensive than your boots......
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We used to have a saying for when one of the dogs chewed something.... "its cheaper than a seat belt."

Yes, one of them (never figured out which) chewed through a seat belt.  That was more expensive than your boots......

I can imagine.  

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Ha, Ha!

Dogs are fucking knuckleheads but we still love them  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#40]
It may have been some scent that they used to preserve the leather that he associated with food or a raw hide treat?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I knew even before opening this thread who/what the culprit would be.

I love my lab, but there are certain things I just know he just may do. Luckily for me, he's content to sleep on his sofa (until we get another, the old one is covered with a comforter the dog knows he can be on) and not get into anything while my wife and I are at work.

Prior to that the little bastage ate:

All the knobs, electric start, and cover on my BRAND NEW grill I got for father's day
He chewed thru the incoming cable so often it was cheapr for me to buy 100 yards of cable, crimps, and tools for repair than it was to call the cable company
A grill cleaning tool - he crapped what looked like an SOS pad the next day - that was the last one of those he ate
the window sill
the lock on the electric meter - he's done that so many times the electric guy has given up
the concrete on the foundation of the house
several bicks
and I swear in some places my back yard looks like the Ho Chi Minh trail he got so many holes dug.

In spite of all the above, I wouldn't trade him for anything. I know he'd die to protect everyone in this family, especially my kids and my wife.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I am guilty of making light of things. The GSD rescue that I have adopted is turning into the most interesting learning experience I have been challenged with in the last 30 or 40 years. His intelligence, or maybe it's just his approach, is constantly revealing new things. You show him his reflection in a mirror and he goes around the back to see what is there. He sees a ball roll under the dresser and he goes into the next room to see if it came through the wall.  A buzzard flies over and he watches it. Caesar, the dog whisperer, comes on TV and he sits and watches. I am having a real hard time bullshitting this dog.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Stupid thought number one.   Put boot on and lace it up as much as possible.   Then wrap duct tape around ankle covering missing area.   Have the patience to cut duct tape off every evening?   Uh, maybe that's a little extreme.  

Stupid thought number two.   Take them back and tell the store that you were working in some rebar area and slipped and a piece of rebar caught and ripped the rear of the boot out.   Note:  look for the dumbest salesperson in the store before attempting this.

Stupid thought number three.   Tell the store that you were having a little trouble pulling them on and you had to pull with all of your might and that sucker just came apart.   You tried to sew it back together (sew a few bogus stitches into the boot rear) and it just came apart more.   Note:   Look for salesperson who does not look like a dog owner when attempting this so they can't recognize doggie teeth marks.

O.K. I give up.   Some ar15.com member more creative than me help this brother member out!  Surely we can dream up some plausible deniablity here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I knew even before opening this thread who/what the culprit would be.

I love my lab, but there are certain things I just know he just may do. Luckily for me, he's content to sleep on his sofa (until we get another, the old one is covered with a comforter the dog knows he can be on) and not get into anything while my wife and I are at work.

Prior to that the little bastage ate:

All the knobs, electric start, and cover on my BRAND NEW grill I got for father's day
He chewed thru the incoming cable so often it was cheapr for me to buy 100 yards of cable, crimps, and tools for repair than it was to call the cable company
A grill cleaning tool - he crapped what looked like an SOS pad the next day - that was the last one of those he ate
the window sill
the lock on the electric meter - he's done that so many times the electric guy has given up
the concrete on the foundation of the house
several bicks
and I swear in some places my back yard looks like the Ho Chi Minh trail he got so many holes dug.

In spite of all the above, I wouldn't trade him for anything. I know he'd die to protect everyone in this family, especially my kids and my wife.

This made me smile and laugh.  I pretty much agree with you, I just needed a little time to calm down.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am guilty of making light of things. The GSD rescue that I have adopted is turning into the most interesting learning experience I have been challenged with in the last 30 or 40 years. His intelligence, or maybe it's just his approach, is constantly revealing new things. You show him his reflection in a mirror and he goes around the back to see what is there. He sees a ball roll under the dresser and he goes into the next room to see if it came through the wall.  A buzzard flies over and he watches it. Caesar, the dog whisperer, comes on TV and he sits and watches. I am having a real hard time bullshitting this dog.

I have friends with Border Collies, so I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Get the book "The Dog Listener"  by Jan Fennell. You will find it helpful.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Eat your dog. Get the most out of your boots.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No boot pic?

Here you go, LOL.

I'd still wear them if they arent chewed all the way through.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#49]
HOMER:  I'd like to return these shoes.  My dog was bringing them to me and they fell apart in his mouth!

CLERK:  Sorry, sir, our return policy doesn't cover fire, theft or acts of dog.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#50]
My lil girl Lab completely chewed off the upper of my brand new Ropers.  Caught her red 'pawed' in the act.......MEXICAN STANDOFF!.......eyes going to the doggy door......then to me.....then bolted to the door with a boot in her mouth......'cept what was left of the boot caught on the door.......after two failed attempts and angry fat guy closing in she drops the boot and hides in the back yard........for an hour.......and comes back in like nothing happened.

Just another day in the life of a Lab.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top