Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2010 3:21:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm curious how many of you throw your butts out of the car window when you are done smoking a cigarette in your car.

I see it all the time around here, and it really irritates me .  BUT, to be fair, I don't actually know how many aren't doing it, because I obviously cannot see the ones who don't do it - so I'm adding a poll.

Please be honest.  You don't have to post in the thread that you're a stinkin' litterbug, just admit it in the poll.  

(I am also rather proud of my clever play on words in the title )

I did when I smoked. Been 5 years + now since I quit and they still smell delicious.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I do when riding in cars without an ashtray, which appears to be a flaw in many newer-model vehicles...

I also smoke nonfiltered cigarettes, which are entirely biodegradable and help add nutrients to the soil, thus producing that luscious greenery you folks enjoy on your trips through rural New Hampshire
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious how many of you throw your butts out of the car window when you are done smoking a cigarette in your car.

I see it all the time around here, and it really irritates me .  BUT, to be fair, I don't actually know how many aren't doing it, because I obviously cannot see the ones who don't do it - so I'm adding a poll.

Please be honest.  You don't have to post in the thread that you're a stinkin' litterbug, just admit it in the poll.  

(I am also rather proud of my clever play on words in the title )

I did when I smoked. Been 5 years + now since I quit and they still smell delicious.

This is almost exactly what I came in here to post.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
butts are biodegradable.  

They are made of cotton with a bit of paper.

What is your problem again?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I like you DK....

So all I say is.... I do, and on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
What I hate is for someone to stop at a red light and dump a whole ashtray full!

I HAVE done some things I'm not proud of when confronted with this shit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not smoke in my car or house. When outside, pull over and smoke if needed, I put out on bottom of shoe, fold over and into back pocket.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do when riding in cars without an ashtray, which appears to be a flaw in many newer-model vehicles...

I also smoke nonfiltered cigarettes, which are entirely biodegradable and help add nutrients to the soil, thus producing that luscious greenery you folks enjoy on your trips through rural New Hampshire

Good God man! You must be one of the last dozen people in the US to do so. What is your brand? Lucky Strike, Camel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I just hate when they toss them out the car window and we are in severe drought conditions.

Many major forest fires here seem to start along the interstate.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]

i never did when i smoked.  i just tossed the remaining tobacco out the window and put the filter in my ash tray.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

butts are biodegradable.  

What is your problem again.

What? Are they?  I thought they weren't.  

If that's the case, my problem is that I am embarassingly ignorant of cigarette technology.  

yep.

Glad I could help.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
butts are biodegradable.  

Better check again!

http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/cigbuttbiodegradable.htm

Are cigarette butts biodegradable?

Most cigarette filters are composed of cellulose acetate, a form of plastic. The white fibers you see in a cigarette filter are NOT cotton, but a plastic that can persist in the environment as long as other forms of plastic.

Clean Virginia Waterways has looked extensively for a published, scientific research paper on the topic of how long cigarette butts take to degrade, and could find none. (If you know of one, please send us an email with details.) Various sources have stated that cigarette filters take 18 months to 10 years to degrade. It is safe to say that the cellulose acetate fibers in cigarette filters, like other plastics, are with us for some time after they are discarded. Since environments differ—some places are wetter, dryer, sunnier, colder, hotter, windy, etc.—so too will the degrading time differ. A cigarette butt that is littered in the Grand Canyon will degrade differently than one that is littered in Virginia.

But even if cigarette filters were quick to degrade, we would still have fires caused by lit cigarette butts, and the toxins found in cigarette butts would still be harmful. That is why Clean Virginia Waterways believes the best way to decrease cigarette butt litter is to educate smokers, rather than try to make filters biodegradable.

What do we mean by "biodegradable?"

When we say "biodegrade," we are saying that something living, for example, bacteria, is responsible for "degrading" an item. There are many methods, however, that lead to something being "degraded." Sunlight, for example, can degrade some things. For example, sunlight can make some plastics brittle. Studies done on plastics in the oceans show that most plastics are broken-down by the UV waves of sunlight. Wind and water can cause erosion which is a form of degradation. Freezing and thawing can also physically change and breakdown items.

Degradable: susceptible to chemical breakdown.

Degrade: to break down a compound; to become degraded, weakened, deteriorate, to decompose.

Biodegradable: capable of decaying through the action of living organisms.

Photodegradable: capable of being broken down by light.

Photodecomposition: The breaking down of molecules by radiant energy.

Definitions from the Random House Dictionary, 2nd edition, Unabridged.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Field strip those butts and put them in your pocket we don't want the dinks getting any American tobacco.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep a water bottle in my vehicle that I "snuff my butts" in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
yup and i love when they land on the windshield of a tailgater
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Numerous times, when I smoked, I had to fight the terrible urge to ram a car at full speed because a cigarette they tossed from the window wound up bouncing off my windshield, or in one case, stuck in my wiper.

Do that shit out here in Colorado and you WILL be arrested if caught. That kind of shit starts out-of-control wildfires that incinerate thousands of acres just outside of major metropolitan areas. Not like that happens often, though

_MaH

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
butts are biodegradable.  

If that's the case, my problem is that I am embarassingly ignorant of cigarette technology.  

The ones they make for children are shredded asbestos and dipped in thallium.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
butts are biodegradable.  

Stop being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't smoke in my truck so no.. never out the window.  

The majority of time that I smoke I am within walking distance of an ash tray or trash can.  

In the rare cases there isn't  a place to dispose of them, they get field stripped put in my pocket and forgotten about until I pull them out of the washing machine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I use a half full water bottle I keep in the door.  When I get in, I unscrew the top - smoke near the window, put the butts in the bottle to extinguish, and put cap back on when parking.  After a pack full of butts it gets replaced with a different 1/2 full bottle.  

I'm a considerate smoker.

No, I don't throw that nasty bottle out the window either...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good God man! You must be one of the last dozen people in the US to do so. What is your brand? Lucky Strike, Camel?

Drum, hand-rolled.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wait a minute now - TC6969 claims you're blowing smoke up my ass!  

Just another anally retrieved "fact" that ARFCOM is famous for!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
When I smoked, the world was my ashtray.

Now it's just my urinal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When I smoked, the world was my ashtray.

Now it's just my urinal.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope.  Never have.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
When I was a smoker, I did it once in a while.

For a long time I smoked roll-your-own and/or unfiltered smokes and I worried less about littering with them than with filtered varieties.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Comment removed... Beat to it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
butts are biodegradable.  

Wiki says......

Most cigarette filters are made from cellulose acetate. Depending on conditions, estimates for the time taken for them to degrade range from British American Tobacco's 10 months - 3 years,[6] to 10-15 years.[7]

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#34]
My usual MO is to knock the cherry off out the window and put the no longer burning butt in the ashtray.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Where's the yes, but no when police are present option?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Numerous times, when I smoked, I had to fight the terrible urge to ram a car at full speed because a cigarette they tossed from the window wound up bouncing off my windshield, or in one case, stuck in my wiper.

Should try it on a motorcycle sometime....... once i got luck and it caught in the fold of my jacket still lit, so i gave it back through the open rear window of their car.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I keep a water bottle in my vehicle that I "snuff my butts" in.

Same here.

It looks gross but it's better than littering or starting a fire.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Dont smoke cigs but i have dumped pipe ash out while driving a time or 3.

ETA: now I do use common sense and do not dump the last burning embers out when the local grass is a tinderbox.  I will at least wait for the bowl to completely finish burning.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Never outside the city. Inside the city I often just strip the cherry and put the actual butt in the ash tray. The freeways are piled with real trash and they get swept regularly by street sweepers so I'm not too worried about it there. I try not to on surface streets unless there's just no easy way to get rid of it.

ETA: Just remembered a time a few years ago when I got hit in the cheek by a butt thrown from another vehicle. I thought it was a bug until I smelled something burning and looked down to see a butt in my side pocket.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#40]

http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=1461

Source

Commercially,
cellulose acetate is made from processed  wood pulp. The pulp is
processed using acetic anhydride to form acetate flake  from which
products are made.

Coming from wood pulp, means that unlike most man-made  fibres, it comes from a renewable resource and is biodegradable.

Another technique for producing cellulose acetate involved  treating cotton with acetic acid, using sulfuric acid as a catalyst.

Biodegradable, despite the source.

ETA:  Have any of you ever dug up an "old" cigarette butt?  As in... "I was digging in my garden and found..."?

I had a spot where all my butts were dropped, a hole in the ground.  I went to clean it out one day and was astonished.  The only butts that were there were the ones that were less than a month old.  The rest were nasty black dirt.  

What was that bitch again?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Source

Commercially, cellulose acetate is made from processed  wood pulp. The pulp is processed using acetic anhydride to form acetate flake  from which products are made.

Coming from wood pulp, means that unlike most man-made  fibres, it comes from a renewable resource and is biodegradable.

Another technique for producing cellulose acetate involved  treating cotton with acetic acid, using sulfuric acid as a catalyst.

So you just KNOW this?

Everything is biodegradable.

It might take 50 years or more.

Its till longer than I want to look at some inconsiderate assholes cigarette but on the ground !
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I did it once in a while when I smoked, but usually I'd use the ashtray.

Now that ashtrays in new cars are a thing of the past, what are smokers supposed to do?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
People have been thrown in jail for that around here. I kid you not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hah - no IBTP

Hah, you have no pie choice so that us non-smokers can see the results, without affecting the poll
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah - no IBTP

Hah, you have no pie choice so that us non-smokers can see the results, without affecting the poll

just hit vote without selecting an option.  

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
butts are biodegradable.  

What is your problem again?  

So is a newspaper, McDonald's bag, tissues etc etc etc... should we start throwing them out of the window too?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source

Commercially, cellulose acetate is made from processed  wood pulp. The pulp is processed using acetic anhydride to form acetate flake  from which products are made.

So you just KNOW this?

Everything is biodegradable.

It might take 50 years or more.

Its till longer than I want to look at some inconsiderate assholes cigarette but on the ground !

Yes, yes I do.  

Re-read my edited post.

I agree with your hatred of litter on the ground, but quell your enthusiastic, misguided rage with knowledge.  

Or, you can read the Anti-Smoking Nazi propaganda which tells you that the butt on your lawn will outlast the sun.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah - no IBTP

Damn, people still don't know they can click the vote button without selecting a response and see the poll?

ETA: damn I'm slow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#49]
that's what i do. or just throw them on the floor matt and pick them up later
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he's saying is he smokes pot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top