Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
They're going to get in one way or another.

The only thing left for you to do is to leave a cucumber and some ky on a table near the door, and a big puddle of sticky liquid right where their first step would be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Your lease does not shield you from local laws.  Additionally -  you don't own the property and the owner does have to comply with local laws. Call the number listed on the notice and ask for the specific law that supports their right to inspect.  Don't be a dick about it - be nice.

Ownership in law (owner) and ownership in equity (tenant).

Interesting - however, I think if it really came down to it a tenant may be able to stop any agent of .gov without a warrant from entering.

That said, I doubt it's really worth the effort

Just thinking out loud
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Post a title 18 no trespassing sign

http://www.ftcldf.org/docs/farm-raids/Legal%20Notice%20No%20Trespassing.pdf

http://www.nonaiswa.org/?page_id=3471

And YES these have bite and you can go after the individual and the .gov

Then you can bust out your mad Common Law rhymes and shut them down.

I've never seen a lease that didn't allow the property owner/management company or one of their agents to enter the premises with 24 hours notice. Guys what, OP? You just got notice. I'd find a discreet closet/location to store your gear, unless you don't mind the landlord/fix-it guy knowing what valuables you have because they'll likely be there with Code Enforcement for the walkthroughs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Post a title 18 no trespassing sign

http://www.ftcldf.org/docs/farm-raids/Legal%20Notice%20No%20Trespassing.pdf

http://www.nonaiswa.org/?page_id=3471

And YES these have bite and you can go after the individual and the .gov

<print>
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Move. Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Pitfalls of renting. I suggest you tidy-up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]
What pisses me off about codes, regulation, and industry standards is around here the government facilities act like go by the book (and have the budget to do it all) , but then when they don't feel like it or understand it and do nothing, they are above the law and are waived of requirements.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
*snip*

Seriously, the people who do code enforcement couldn't give a shit how many guns you have or how sticky your sheets are.  If they're coming in, it's either because a mandatory periodic rental property inspection is due, or because someone filed a complaint.

*snip*

all other things aside, LOTS of people have been burned over guns by everyone from the pizza guy, to code enforcement. all it takes is for one nervous little bitch to see something he doesn't like, and then call the cops about an "apartment full of machineguns".

speaking as a person who had a warrant served on my apartment for an AIRSOFT gun, that the police KNEW was an airsoft gun... i can understand why the OP might not want folks rummaging around his place looking for violations.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I can file a million complaints to a city, they still can't barge in or issue a citation on nothing.

OP, I talked this over with some other detectives in my division.

I beleive the city is attempting to dupe you into giving permission hoping that you will not challenge it.

Most people do not know their rights, they have nothing to hide and they will always allow a government official in.

YOU do have a right to your privacy and your kingdom.

Here is the thing Slower Code enforcement is not a state to State thing it is A City or County thing. If i were steve i would consult an attorney in his area to get legal advice.

The city must conform to the counties standards, the county to the state and the state to federal law.  

Amendment XIV

Passed by Congress June 13, 1866. Ratified July 9, 1868.

Note: Article I, section 2, of the Constitution was modified by section 2 of the 14th amendment.

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunitiesof citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due processof law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protectionof the laws.

This stuff get complicated. My wife works for the county and she does not have  jurisdiction in the city. Here in WashingtonSt the City inspects rental property while the county may or may not. Some cities inspect all Rental Properties while other citie's inspections are complaint driven. There is no uniformity. Code enforcement can also tell you how many vehicles and animals  you can own they also check for building permits. She cannot go onto private property unless invited but she can take picture from the public street. She can however go into any place of buisness including rentals for inspections. The town next to our requires all new homes to have landscaping and underground Sprinklers  with no gravel areas for parking this is a requirement for all new homes a buisnesses. My guess is you City has simiular Codes but they are not enforced .
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can file a million complaints to a city, they still can't barge in or issue a citation on nothing.

I beleive the city is attempting to dupe you into giving permission hoping that you will not challenge it.

Most people do not know their rights, they have nothing to hide and they will always allow a government official in.

Here is the thing Slower Code enforcement is not a state to State thing it is A City or County thing. If i were steve i would consult an attorney in his area to get legal advice.

Seriously? Or, he could just let them in to see what particular code violation may exist and move on. What's the big fucking deal?

God, I am starting to sound like a paranoid constitutionalist.

The big fucking deal is the fact that we still enjoy specific rights in this country and excercising them is what makes it so great.  I have so many ways to legally enter a home when something unlawful is occurring.  I LOVE writing search warrants because it is so much harder to follow the constitution than it is to just say fuck it, lets violate his rights.

Next time call in code enforcement they can go places without a warrant that you can't
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Found a note on my door this morning, as did everyone else in my complex. It seems the City has decided to start going around and looking inside people's apartments for health and safety code violations.

Well, they can go fuck themselves! I don't know what their little game is, but the government isn't getting into MY apartment without a warrant. These assholes can go piss up a rope. Check my apartment for safety violations. They must be getting desperate for money if they think they can just walk into someone's apartment and start issuing tickets for having a stock of magazines too close to the fire place, or too many shoes in front of the door.

[mumbling]Fuckin' bastards go and piss me off before lunch...[/mumbling]

What they are looking for, is code violations...not against you, but against your landlord. A lot of towns are mandating inspections and inspection based certifications be obtained on rental properties. It's a tactic to combat slumlords.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Get rid of the naked, caged sex slave and hide all of your firearms and ammo and let them in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get rid of the naked, caged sex slave and hide all of your firearms and ammo and let them in.

I doubt that is a code violation
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys need to get out more I had the city code inspectors ask to go into my rentals before I got rid of them. I also had the Fire Department ask to inspect my office once for Fire Code enforcement. This is routine stuff, don't start strapping on magazines and body armor

You (motown-steve/tenant) don't have to worry about it, normally citations are issued to the owner, not the tenant. It may be that some other tenant filed a complaint, they found problems and want to inspect all the apartments. You would be amazed at what can be considered a violation. I got written up for stuff like missing light bulbs, missing outlet covers, something that I never understood about how I attached the water heater etc.

Never hurts to practise.    

Yeah, it's pretty routine.  Usually bs.

You need to get an AR before you worry about body armor, mister.

I know...      Almost there.    
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
all other things aside, LOTS of people have been burned over guns by everyone from the pizza guy, to code enforcement. all it takes is for one nervous little bitch to see something he doesn't like, and then call the cops about an "apartment full of machineguns".

speaking as a person who had a warrant served on my apartment for an AIRSOFT gun, that the police KNEW was an airsoft gun... i can understand why the OP might not want folks rummaging around his place looking for violations.

^^ this is why I own a large safe that doesn't get opened for anyone without a warrant.  Period.
I live in a single family dwelling just for the very reason I can step out onto the porch and tell them to get a warrant or fuck-off...

but, that being said, in the immortal words of Jerry Garcia.. "if you got a warrant, I guess youre gonna come in"

A VERY good attorney once told me..
"Never invite the man into your life... or your home.
Never give up any information whether you think it is relevant or not... just keep your mouth shut.
Make them work for everything they get... it's their job, make them do it properly.
If they don't have a warrant, they are fishing for a reason to screw you... bid them good day and close the door."

YMMV..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Just tell them you're from The 313 and they'll back off...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Found a note on my door this morning, as did everyone else in my complex. It seems the City has decided to start going around and looking inside people's apartments for health and safety code violations.

Well, they can go fuck themselves! I don't know what their little game is, but the government isn't getting into MY apartment without a warrant. These assholes can go piss up a rope. Check my apartment for safety violations. They must be getting desperate for money if they think they can just walk into someone's apartment and start issuing tickets for having a stock of magazines too close to the fire place, or too many shoes in front of the door.

If you rent, it ain't yours. Landlord gave in, you are out of options. Better clean up the pile of feces in the tub...

This. If the Owner of the Complex says it's ok for them to enter you're SOL. The Owner may be required to give you a notice before they come in depending on what the laws are for renters where you live. But the bottom line is you are not the owner of the property and therefore have very limited rights.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you rent, it ain't yours. Landlord gave in, you are out of options. Better clean up the pile of feces in the tub...

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

My lease states that this gets to be my residence and that anyone wanting to come in without a warrant has to get my permission first, unless it's a life threatening emergency.

Every lease I've ever seen says that the landlord can inspect the property with 24-hour notice (give or take.)

If yours doesn't, then go ahead a change the lock on the door.

My first lease stated the landlord under no circumstances can enter the apartment without my consent, when I was not there. Even if maintenance needed to fix something I had to give them permission to enter without me there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Resistance is futile.

Don't say shit.

Complain and get the colonoscopy of inspections with police in tow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#20]
There is no escaping the long arm of Code Enforcement.

Like the other poster said, you better tidy up.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Open the door naked.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. If the Owner of the Complex says it's ok for them to enter you're SOL. The Owner may be required to give you a notice before they come in depending on what the laws are for renters where you live. But the bottom line is you are not the owner of the property and therefore have very limited rights.

That depends on the situation. For something like this––- where it is a code inspection (that is likely required by local law or policy for rentability) the tenant really can't say no.

If it is entrance that is contractually permitted then the tennant can either accept, or leave (and face whatever penalties go along with that.)

The Landlord CAN NOT consent in place of the tennant to have the cops execute no-warrant searches in place. They NEED to have the tenant's consent.  That was established by Chapman v. United States (1961). In fact, even in a co-occupant situation the police would need consent from all co-occupants (per Randolph v. Georgia) though there is other cases, including US V. Mattlock (from whjich Randolph was distinguished) that allow a co-occupant to consent alone in the absence of other occupants).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its aimed at the landlord, not you. If you don't allow them in to inspect, the landlord will not get a certificate of compliance, and your building will be shut downby the city  and you'll be homeless. So you might want to reconsider that stance of yours.

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

My lease states that this gets to be my residence and that anyone wanting to come in without a warrant has to get my permission first, unless it's a life threatening emergency.

Wrong. The landlord has to give you 24 hours notice for non-emergencies. For emergencies, he can come in without a 24 hour notice. No warrant needed.

It is possible that the landlord chose to forbear some of his rights in the lease.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why are you still living in an apartment?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you still living in an apartment?

I Don't live in a apartment but i have in the past and frakly i loved it .
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#28]
City inspects rental property every two years around here.  College town.  No big deal.  Thye won't renew rental permit without an inspection.  

But yeah, clean the place up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Buy a house.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In Texas a renter has the same rights as a home owner.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've got nothing to hide, I just don't want the government coming into my home to take a look around. I don't care if I'm the target or not, I don't want the government coming into my home to take a look around. I let the maintenance people in all the time to replace air filters, check stove, bring in the exterminator or whatever. I don't want the government coming into my living space and I don't need to justify it beyond that.

In fact the apartment manager said that all I need to do is let them know in writing that I don't want the city to enter and they won't let the city enter. I did so and now I'm good to go.

To me, it's the principle of the thing. I don't want the city, or any other government agency at any level coming into my living space and taking a look around. This is still the America and as long as they don't have a warrant I have ever right in the world to tell them to bugger off. So, that's what I did.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously? Or, he could just let them in to see what particular code violation may exist and move on. What's the big fucking deal?

The big fucking deal is the fact that we still enjoy specific rights in this country and excercising them is what makes it so great.  I have so many ways to legally enter a home when something unlawful is occurring.  I LOVE writing search warrants because it is so much harder to follow the constitution than it is to just say fuck it, lets violate his rights.

GODDAMN RIGHT!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#33]
surprisingly, that would be very illegal if it happened in NYC...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Anwser the door in a speedo wearing one of thoose leather bondage masks with a 2ft rubber cock in one hand and a metal spatula in the other.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you Sir for being both a voice of reason and of freedom, we need as many LEOs like you as we can get!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#36]
You should be glad that code enforcement in Las Colinas will actually do anything to keep slumlords in check - I'm *still* fighting to get code enforcement out to cite for things like the air conditioning leaking into the attic/blowing out of lightswitches, locks never being changed, no deadbolts, unpermitted electrical work, etc, etc.

Dallas code enforcement says that their only job is to check for 1) holes in the structure 2) exposed wires 3) 20 degree temperature differential between outside and inside.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

Check your lease agreement again.  I bet there's a part in there that states the landlord [or his agent] may enter your apartment as long as you are given advance notice.

Wipe the cum stains off the sofa and hide the fleshlight, if the landlord wants to let the inspector in your apartment he can most certainly do so under the terms of the lease.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#38]

+1 link please...

Steve, this is why I don't live in an apartment/condo/townhouse/someone else's property...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

You sure about that? Most leases say that they have to give you 24-48 hours of notice before the property management/landlord/other can legally enter without your permission. Read it again.

NOT a government entity though, that still falls under the fourth amendment.  Trust me, I'm a cop and I deal with nosy no good landlords all the time.

The land lord can let a government agent in the rental, but the judge may not admit any evidence found in court.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top