Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 5:08:34 AM EDT
Is it just me or is the amount of commercials on tv increased just recently? It seems like they are more frequent and run longer and not just slightly, I can't even channel surf without hitting three or four Progressive ads and the Enzyte guy all happy about his big new junk. Then I'll stop on something that's half interesting and forget what it was during the next commercial run.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Commercials and reality TV is where the money's at. Our country is becoming functional retards who watch Inside Edition for their news. Idiocracy here we come.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank God for mute buttons!!!!  Don't listen to the stupid shit!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

More like thank God for DVR! I rarely watch live tv anymore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My only complaint about commercials is how stupid they've gotten.  The "humor" in them, if you could call it that, really doesn't appeal to me.  I guess I'm not an urban hipster fag, their apparent demographic, so I'm not supposed to get it?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My only complaint about commercials is how stupid they've gotten.  The "humor" in them, if you could call it that, really doesn't appeal to me.  I guess I'm not an urban hipster fag, their apparent demographic, so I'm not supposed to get it?  

They are geared to the people who are consumers today, morons. AKA Obama voters.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  Watching repeats of old shows, I've noticed more scenes get cut each year.

Also, some channels will show a movie with no commercials in the first 1/2 hour to suck you in.  Then the commercial blocks are 2 or 3 times normal length and the 90 minute movie gets a 4 hour timeslot
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Watching programs on line I have noticed that an hour long show lasts 43 minutes.  That includes the 2 minute opener "on last weeks episode" catch up scenes.

17 minutes of advertisements.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes.  Watching repeats of old shows, I've noticed more scenes get cut each year.

Also, some channels will show a movie with no commercials in the first 1/2 hour to suck you in.  Then the commercial blocks are 2 or 3 times normal length and the 90 minute movie gets a 4 hour timeslot

I remember when the first half hour commercial free was like the rule.  Now they start with the commercials after the first 15 minutes.  I can also remember when AMC was commercial free during the movies.  I made a bunch of VHS tapes like Psycho, Longest Day, Battle of the Bulge, etc like that.  Now, they show as many commercials as Syfy, which is really saying something.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
On top of that, you pay for the TV service.

It is like buying a magazine to find 2/3 pages contianed ads.
What did you just pay for?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Not only are they longer and more numerous, but they are SO LOUD that once you turn down the volume to save your hearing the actual content (the show you are watching) can't be heard when it comes back on.

I just simply don't watch tv any more.

I stopped watching when TLC turned into the Trading Spaces channel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]
this is why I DVR everything now and just watch it the next day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Most are total crap. Although, I did enjoy the Geico comercial with the Gunny as a psychiatrist.

I saw the 30 second clip of this one last night. I lol'd.
Keep 'em clean boys!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

this is why I DVR everything now and just watch it the next day.

Yep.  I prefer not to watch live TV.  I can watch three shows on the DVR in the time it would take to watch two live.
I was very late to the DVR game, but now that I have one, I know I will never go back to live TV.  If I had to, I would just kill the service and download my shows off the net.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I really don't watch much live TV anymore. Now, I will make exceptions for Always Sunny, South Park, Sons of Anarchy, The League, and a very few other shows. I almost never sit on the couch with a remote looking for something to watch. Mornings have news on before I go to work. I have DVDs, BluRays, Netflix, burned copies, and the internet all flowing through my TV. Screw commercials.

ETA: My apartment provides free cable and if this were not the case, I don't think I would have it hooked up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I have watched exactly two hours of television in three weeks, so I wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of the newer commercials are some funny shit!! I've seen some pretty good beer commercials watching football lately.

Since about 1990, an hour long tv show was actuall about 42=43 minutes of intro, show, and outro. The balance is commercials.

Thank the Lord for digital video recorders.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I reached the "can't take it" point a long time ago. How can you watch a serious movie that's chopped up by commercials for bullshit? 200 channels and none of it was worth the time to watch it. I just couldn't spend $60 a month on the shit anymore and shut it off. Now it's Netflix, satellite radio, internet, conversation, reading and actually doing stuff. Some people may break out in a cold sweat at the thought of shutting off the cable, but it really is a good thing. I don't think I'd want it back if it were free.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I would say that the vast majority of them have gotten worse. But there is one category that has gotten MUCH better, to the point of becoming almost artful:

Video Game Commercials.

Just to illustrate, here is a commercial for the NES classic Legend of Zelda circa 1986:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR3fsLPYxUM&feature=player_embedded

Here is an ad for Battle Arena Toshinden circa 1998:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8meCIT1ErPQ&feature=related

This is an ad for Rainbow Six 3, circa 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NySUxMmiXY

And finally, here is a promotional video for HALO 3 which came out in 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGhoJ1mgQY

There is a definate escalation as you go along that series of commercials, and seeing as Video games now gross more than hollywood, it's not surprising that a lot of creative talent is gravitating in that direction.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll watch Old Spice commercials all day.    

Its like blending deoderant with the nonsense of douglas adams, and putting it on a horse...   and a boat... and giving it two tickets to that thing you love...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll watch Old Spice commercials all day.    

Its like blending deoderant with the nonsense of douglas adams, and putting it on a horse...   and a boat... and giving it two tickets to that thing you love...

Yeah, those are some of the funniest things I've seen on TV in ages.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I have noticed that all commercials have some really loud guitar shredding now.  There are also doorbells and ringing telephones buried underneath.  I make a not not to buy those products.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUGGIN' A Man!

I rarely watched tv before DVR because of all the damned commercials.  Now I have several programs that I enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top