Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 10:10:58 PM EDT
Riding the motorcycle to work tonight and my cell phone fell off my belt somewhere along I 40.  FML.

ETA:

When I lost the phone, I was eastbound and made a mental note of my location.  On my way home, I pulled off on the westbound shoulder a good bit short of the location, pulled off the lid and glasses and jumped the guardrail. I called it from the borrowed cell and it went straight to voicemail.   I walked about a mile on the left shoulder of the eastbound looking for the phone.  The grass was well above waist high in some spots, so "We ain't found shit".  

I turned around and started walking back the way I came.  Keep in mind that I'm wearing dark blue uniform pants and a black leather motorcycle jacket.  

I had become used to the wind and buffeting off the passing vehicles, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw a Camry in the left lane going by me at about 20 MPH.  At the same time, a siren blooped behind me.  Oh teh noez, it was the NCSHP getting out of his Crown Vic.  And a DCSO cruiser pulling in behind him.

Trooper:  Good morning
Me: GM, Sir
T: What are you doing out here?
M: Looking for my cell phone.  It fell off my belt on my way to work last night.
T:  Did someone throw it out the window?
M:  No, sir, but I need to let you know that I have a CHL and that I'm armed. (Required in NC)
T:  Where's the gun
M: In my left front pocket
T:  Where is your vehicle?
M:  About a mile down the road on the westbound shoulder.  Red Honda VTX 1800.
T:  Do you have your permit with you?
M:  Yes, sir, it's in my wallet in my right rear pocket.
T:  Can I see it?

I produced my Driver's License and CHL, which are both in a "pull out" kinda thing in my wallet and handed the whole thing to him.  He looked at my DL through the plastic, then pulled out my CHL, since the plastic it's behind is a little murky.  He checked them out, then put my CHL back into its place.  Clearly, this guy needs more training.  Don't they teach Asshole 101 in Academy anymore?  He's supposed to make me do all that shit for him, right?  Wasn't he supposed to tase me when I told him I had a gun, or at least prone me out on the hood of his cruiser?  WTF?

T:  Where are you heading?
M:  Back to my bike, then to the Verizon Store, from the looks of things.  I don't think I'm gonna have much luck finding the fucking thing in this hayfield.  
T:  We had some people call in about a possible intox wandering in traffic, that's why we're here.  
M:  LOL.  I can understand that.  I'll get on the intox thing when I get home.  I'll be needing a beer by then.  I guess I look like a real winner out here, huh?
T:  LOL.  You fit the profile.  We need to get outta here.  This ain't the best spot to be sitting.  You be careful.
M:  You too, Trooper.  

:Handshake:

Trooper and DCSO haul ass.

So I made my way to the bike, then the Verizon store and got a new phone.  It's gonna suck figuring out a new phone, putting in what contacts I have memorized, the ones I need out of the GF's phone, and what I've got scattered around 4 computers.

And Thank You to all the good cops like the two that came to check on the possible intox playing in traffic near rush hour.

Cue the TL;DR and the CSB shit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Try losing all of your guns on a boat
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried calling it and following the sound?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Call it with what?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Riding the motorcycle to work tonight and my cell phone fell off my belt somewhere along I 40. FML.

If it ends up along I-40 in OK I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats why I rubberband that shit right to my scrotum.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call it with what?  

When I get off in the morning, I'm borrowing the GF's cell and start walking.  I know where it fell off to within a quarter mile.

Still a FML moment.  My luck its smashed to bits.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Phone in the pocket for the win!

I'm always afraid my wallet is going to work its way out of my pocket when I ride, tho.   Most of the time when I commute to the office, the wallet is in my backpack, which is in a locked pannier anyway.   I ain't losin SHIT.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
What brand/model of phone?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm always afraid my wallet is going to work its way out of my pocket when I ride, tho.   Most of the time when I commute to the office, the wallet is in my backpack, which is in a locked pannier anyway.   I ain't losin SHIT.

ever look for sunglasses that were on your head the whole time? yeah,I know some idiot thats done that once or twice
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Just be glad your H&K P7 didn't come out if it's holster when your jacket rode up over it.. A month or so ago I was tooling down the freeway and felt a little breezy in my riding jacket so I took my hand off the bars to pull my jacket down over my hips. When I did this, my P7 was already most of the way out of the holster and the jacket had worked it's way behind it As my hand swiped back to grab the jacket I knocked the gun out of the holster but felt the cold air on my skin as it separated from my body. This gave me a nanosecond to clamp it against my body-I had the last 1/2" of the slid pressed against the back of my hip with all me strength to keep it from falling.. I had a problem-if I slowed down I would need my hand to use the clutch. So I left it in 5th gear and decelerated on the shoulder, hoping to come up with a plan. Things got worse when the RPM got low enough that the bike started to chug (650cc single cylinder bikes don't like low RPM) and shake. I could feel it slipping so I pointed the bike over to the grass and made a beeline for it. I lost the gun when the front tire hit the grass, but the gun made it to soft ground-no scratches at all
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call it with what?

When I get off in the morning, I'm borrowing the GF's cell and start walking. I know where it fell off to within a quarter mile.

Still a FML moment. My luck its smashed to bits.

unless somebody finds it first.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call it with what?  

Duh!  With his ce...OOOOOOOOOHHHH!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

unless somebody finds it first.

If they do, I hope they do what I did when I found a cell while hiking last fall.  I pulled up the last number called and got "Mom".  Made arrangements to get the phone to the gal who lost it.  

If they do this, they'll call the GF and I won't need to be "the idiot wandering on the side of I40" at 0830.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't give up hope.  a few years back I was having trouble with the air dump valve freezing open on the 18 wheeler out in PA.  I stopped at the 51 mile marker on I-80 and crawled under the truck to free it up.  later that day I discovered that I had lost my house and personal vehicle keys.  so after a few weeks and a snowstorm or two, I finally got a load that went back through that same area.  I stopped where I had before and my co-driver and I started walking down the shoulder.  well shit...there they were, another 75 yards down the road in the ditch, all bent to hell from a snowplow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
All my pocket stuff went into my tank bag when I rode.  Partially to keep from losing it and partially so I wouldn't land on it if I found myself on the ground.  I landed on my keys during my MSF class, and that shit hurt.  Also put a hole in a new pair of jeans.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:59:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had that happen before. Now I use a lanyard on my phone when I ride!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This works just fine, except when you forget to zip up your pocket...ask me how I know
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i lol'd

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]
It's called "dummy cord" for a reason
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just be glad your H&K P7 didn't come out if it's holster when your jacket rode up over it.. A month or so ago I was tooling down the freeway and felt a little breezy in my riding jacket so I took my hand off the bars to pull my jacket down over my hips. When I did this, my P7 was already most of the way out of the holster and the jacket had worked it's way behind it As my hand swiped back to grab the jacket I knocked the gun out of the holster but felt the cold air on my skin as it separated from my body. This gave me a nanosecond to clamp it against my body-I had the last 1/2" of the slid pressed against the back of my hip with all me strength to keep it from falling.. I had a problem-if I slowed down I would need my hand to use the clutch. So I left it in 5th gear and decelerated on the shoulder, hoping to come up with a plan. Things got worse when the RPM got low enough that the bike started to chug (650cc single cylinder bikes don't like low RPM) and shake. I could feel it slipping so I pointed the bike over to the grass and made a beeline for it. I lost the gun when the front tire hit the grass, but the gun made it to soft ground-no scratches at all

Nice save!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Edit in OP  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

RIF

Quoted:
I called it from the borrowed cell and it went straight to voicemail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump for my beloved night crew.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]
too funny.

"fit the profile"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sucks don't it. Especially when all your Navy Seal training is worthless because you have hydrophobia and you can't get nasa to help because you pissed everyone there off back when you were a space shuttle door gunner.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So I made my way to the bike, then the Verizon store and got a new phone.  It's gonna suck figuring out a new phone, putting in what contacts I have memorized, the ones I need out of the GF's phone, and what I've got scattered around 4 computers.

Since you have Verizon, two words:

Backup Assistant.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Backup Assistant.

To more words:
Hell yes.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Backup Assistant.

To more words:

Hell yes.

Yes. Backup Assistant is awesome! About ten years ago, I stooped to fuel up my '83 Suzuki GS1100E. I was carrying my CCW in a fanny pack and wallet/cell phone in the front pocket of it. After I used my Visa at the pump, I put it back in the wallet, and the wallet in the fanny pack. A smarter person would have remembered to zip it shut.

So I hit the on ramp for 27 South from Sequoyah Rd, and accelerate smoothly into sparse traffic. About a half mile further there is a wonderful long, straight section of road and well, I aired it out. Ran it to about a buck twenty, and then that funny little queasy feeling hit me... "Did I zip my fanny pack?"

I reached down and felt it, and the awful truth sank in. Wallet, check. Cellphone, MIA. So I went on in to work, and on the way home, I doubled back and just idled along the shoulder in 1st gear where I figured it fell out. The first piece I found was the rubber keypad. The phone had been in a Bianchi Accumould nylon case, which actually didn't get messed up at all.

The happy part was when I saw something shiny in the grass at the shoulder's edge. It was the metallic gold contacts on my SIM card! Contact info saved! The Guy at T-Mobile lol'd when I carried the pieces of cellphone in in my helmet! His first words... "How fast were you going when you dropped it?"

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What brand/model of phone?

OP, please answer this question, NOW.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#31]
something fishy about the officers actions, and how friendly he was to you???

your dogs, take them to a neighbors ASAP!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thats why I rubberband that shit right to my scrotum.

I fuckin' lol'd
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I worked for a custom door shop a million years ago in Vegas. Since business wias picking up, they hired an extra driver. He rode with me for a few days to kind of get an idea how everything worked (like why there's a very specific way to load the doors and specific way to tie everything down). His first day on his own, I'm headed out to an apartment complex with 3 units worth of doors (interior and exterior), base board, mouldings and shelving, so my truck is loaded waaay up, and all hell breaks loose on the radio.

Apparently, goober couldn't remember how to tie the nifty trucker knot I showed him (makes it easy to cinch stuff down, but no actual knots get tied in the rope), so he figured that if he just pulled really hard and kind of made a half ass hitch at the end of the rope, it'd be good. Because obviously, there's no way a 17 year old kid can actually know what he's talking about. Well, seems he had to swerve around an obstacle on the 95 and his knot didn't hold, so he scattered an entire house worth of doors (in the frames-including the exterior door and fire door) down 2 lanes of freeway at 9 AM. I was headed the other way and as I cruised past, he yelled into the radio "Dude, I need a hand!" Told him "Don't worry, highway patrol will be there to help you soon!"

He quit once he got his fucked up load back to the shop. Which was good, because anyone too proud to ask how a kid (who showed him the knot in the first place) how to tie a knot again.

So, on the bright side, while losing your phone sucks, at least you didn't tie up 2 lanes of traffic during the morning rush hour.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
too funny.

"fit the profile"

His exact words.    

And yeah, I did fit the profile.  Some dumb shit wandering on the edge on a major interstate in weeds up to his ass at rush hour wearing a well worn black leather jacket and dark blue uniform pants.  

Bottom line here is that everyone (me) went home safely, nobody's dog got shot, and props sent to the cops that got called out on a possible intox playing in traffic.  They were good guys.  They're both getting letters sent to their command.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Fail.  Not enough jack-booted thuggery.

I can't believe they didn't run you for priors or prone you out on the shoulder.

ETA...  Anyone remember the thread some years back about the guy who's pistol fell out of this backback while riding on the interstate?  He ended up getting it back and, IIRC, Springfield refinished it for free.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ETA...  Anyone remember the thread some years back about the guy who's pistol fell out of this backback while riding on the interstate?  He ended up getting it back and, IIRC, Springfield refinished it for free.

I remember that... SA fixed it and refinished it... it was pretty banged up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top