Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 8:36:22 PM EDT
This is pretty cool.

Story Link

These are big questions, and here's how we answered them.

We selected 526,000 OkCupid users at random and divided them into groups by their (self-stated) race. We then took all these people's profile essays (280 million words in total!) and isolated the words and phrases that made each racial group's essays statistically distinct from the others'.

For instance, it turns out that all kinds of people list sushi as one of their favorite foods. But Asians are the only group who also list sashimi; it's a racial outlier. Similarly, as we shall see, black people are 20 times more likely than everyone else to mention soul food, whereas no foods are distinct for white people, unless you count diet coke.

Using this kind of analysis, we were able find the interests, hobbies, tastes, and self-descriptions that are specially important to each racial group, as determined by the words of the group itself. The information in this article is not our opinion. It's data, aggregated from the essays of half a million real people.

<much much more on interactive website>

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting how people self-identify / associate in such consistent ways.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Very interesting how people self-identify / associate in such consistent ways.

This segregation must end!

I'm applying for a government grant to study how to end this inconsistancy!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
they all like white women
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It's all pink on the inside...well mostly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting though I am not sure what to make of it other there are real cultural differences and they need to be considered when dealing with people of different racial/ethnic backgrounds.

Oh shit! now I am a racist!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
From the link:

I remind you that OkCupid's user base is almost all in large cities

OkCupid is an online dating site folks, take this information with a huge grain of salt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm just a simple guy
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
i find this very interesting. to see how different the lists are, even though they all come from people who are similar in one big way. That is, of course, that they are online daters. Now, this all has to be taken into context. It is fair to assume that the "likes" people list on such a site are as much about the poster as they are about the perspective reader.

My most interesting observation is as follows. The white male sample is unique in an odd way. It would appear that white males samples were conspicuously absent of attempts of self description. The white male list reads, quit simply, as a list of things. two exceptions aside ("i can fix anything", "im a country boy"), the white male list contains hobby and entertainment items. All the other groups, male or female, made attempts to display some type of specific character of personality, often with a degree of intangibility. I dont know what that all means, but it jumped out at me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
When we realize that people of difference races ARE ACTUALLY DIFFERENT in some ways, but that is ok as long as we all treat each other with respect, the world will be a better place.

Damn, it really isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is pretty cool.

Story Link

Using this kind of analysis, we were able find the interests, hobbies, tastes, and self-descriptions that are specially important to each racial group, as determined by the words of the group itself. The information in this article is not our opinion. It's data, aggregated from the essays of half a million real people.

Interestingly enough, "dikfer" was found to be overwhelmingly approved by white male Black Rifle owners. No one knows why.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
oddly if I were to fill something out like that, I would have many of the same things...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
KFC is really popular in South Africa...  

But I like it too!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
In before the "That's Racist" .gif.

I don't think I'd have any of those descriptors on a dating site profile.  Mine would be like "chloroform", "duct tape", "lotion" and maybe "basket".

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The bit on religion is interesting, however I am surprised that Indians/middle easterners came out ahead on the writing level - okcupid is primarily a 20s to early 30s site, so I would expect a lot of foreign students who don't have the best grasp on grammar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Black people do not like mayonaise.

there.  I said it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is pretty cool.

Story Link

These are big questions, and here's how we answered them.

We selected 526,000 OkCupid users at random and divided them into groups by their (self-stated) race. We then took all these people's profile essays (280 million words in total!) and isolated the words and phrases that made each racial group's essays statistically distinct from the others'.

For instance, it turns out that all kinds of people list sushi as one of their favorite foods. But Asians are the only group who also list sashimi; it's a racial outlier. Similarly, as we shall see, black people are 20 times more likely than everyone else to mention soul food, whereas no foods are distinct for white people, unless you count diet coke.

I was gonna guess cocaine, weed, and alcohol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When we realize that people of difference races ARE ACTUALLY DIFFERENT in some ways, but that is ok as long as we all treat each other with respect, the world will be a better place.

Damn, it really isn't that hard.

Ayup.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
they all like white women

Do you blame them?   I don't.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I noticed that they didn't list how many of them are fat bitches and how many of the guys still live in mom's basement
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

http://cdn.okcimg.com/blog/real_stuff/ReadingLevelByRace.png
http://cdn.okcimg.com/blog/real_stuff/ReadingLevelByReligion.png

Not sure that writing at 9th grade level instead of 7th grade is anything to brag about, unless you're a 7th grader.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

They can make ice in the arctic disappear too, even though it is still there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top