Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:30:28 PM EDT
This story got to me for some reason. Senseless crime for no reason against an older man.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2010/09/08/20100908tempe-man-beaten-to-death-after-wedding-abrk.html

Friends and family continue to mourn a Tempe man who was beaten to death in Virginia earlier this week after he attended his granddaughter's wedding, police said.

Three teenagers attacked George Baker III, 81, on his walk to a restaurant following the wedding ceremony Sunday night.

"I will miss the phone calls the most," son Gregg Baker said at a press conference at his father's home on Wednesday.

Witnesses who heard and saw the attack from a nearby restaurant told police that three male teenagers beat Baker until he lay unconscious and then fled.

Baker sustained broken ribs and significant head injuries, police said. He was taken to a local hospital but died Monday morning.

"There was no motive," Lynchburg (Va.) Police Department Captain Todd Swisher said, "This should have been a joyful occasion but it has been marred by this tragedy."

Police said there were a few other teens walking with the suspects at the time of the attack. One of them told police that the suspects were trying to impress a girl they were with.

Two of the suspects are 16-years-old and one is 13. They were arrested on suspicion of murder, police said.

Baker was a widower who leaves behind three children. He had lived in the same Tempe home across from the Ken McDonald Golf Course since 1973. Baker even had his own chair at the course restaurant, the chef made him specialty meals to accommodate his celiac disease, his son said.

The younger Baker said it was hard to describe the emotions he went through on the day of both his daughter's wedding and his father's death.

He was informed by police that his father was critically injured as the wedding reception was coming to an end. As the newlyweds took off in their car, Gregg Baker's new son-in-law turned toward the hospital instead of the planed their honeymoon destination and said "family is important" before explaining Baker's condition to his new bride.

Baker was unresponsive at the scene and was put on life-support at the hospital, his son said. He stayed by his father's side until he died.

"I don't want retribution, I want redemption," Baker said of his father's killers. He added that the two 16- year-olds will be tried as adults.

Baker was a Christian man; his son said which was apparent by the bookmarked and clearly well-used Bible inscribed with his name which sat in his family room. His son said that Baker had previously spoken of looking forward to seeing his wife, who died of cancer six years ago.

He spoke of his father as "quick witted and mentally sharp."

Referring to a rocking chair and table filled with books as his father's "makeshift library." He said his father and sister would read novels and then switch with each other when they were finished.

A neighborhood child who had just heard of Baker's death stood with two of his friends outside of the home Wednesday and through tears and gasps for breath said, "He was my friend."

ETA: Found a more complete article from VA

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2010/sep/08/man-found-unconscious-street-dies-ar-489549/

An act of teenage male bravado on the part of at least one boy may have led to Sunday’s beating death of an 81-year-old man visiting Lynchburg for his granddaughter’s wedding, police said.

Two 16-year-olds and a 13-year-old were arrested Tuesday and charged with the murder of George Leroy Baker III, of Tempe, Ariz.

Police found Baker unconscious on the 1100 block of Main Street about 11 p.m. Sunday. Baker suffered “significant head injuries,” Lynchburg Police Capt. Todd Swisher said.

He was taken to Lynchburg General Hospital, where he died Monday, Swisher said.

“This seems to be an unprovoked, random violent act,” he said. “What a tragic event.”

Though police have said they are prohibited by law from naming juveniles, a search warrant filed in Lynchburg Circuit Court on Tuesday identified Kenneth Davis as the person who ran up to Baker “in an aggressive manner” before witnesses heard what sounded like a blow to Baker’s body and saw Davis running away.

Witnesses told police they heard Davis say he would hit the first person he saw in order to impress girls he was with, the affidavit from Lynchburg Det. Todd Rodes states.

“A witness dining at the Hash House saw a young black male kick the victim in the face after he had already been knocked to the ground,” the affidavit states. “The victim was unconscious upon bystanders coming to his aide.”

The affidavit states witnesses identified Davis by name and in a photo lineup as participating in the beating.

Investigators took a red and black “Miami” jersey, two pairs of shoes and several pairs of pants and shorts from a unit at the Lynchburg High Apartments on Park Avenue listed as Davis’ home, according to the search warrant.

The warrant was executed about half an hour before police say the first 16-year-old was arrested, at about 1 a.m. Tuesday.

The other two teens were arrested around 4 p.m. Tuesday, police said. Their identities remain unknown.

Baker was staying at the Craddock-Terry Hotel for the wedding Sunday and left for an evening walk downtown, Swisher said.

Matt Addington, a photographer at the wedding who said he was a friend and former roommate of the groom, identified the couple as Leslie Baker and Joe Gahagen, who he said were both Liberty University students.

Addington described George Baker as “the life of the party. He seemed very spry for his age, full of life.”

Tara Cofer, co-owner of Tresca on Eighth, where the wedding reception was held, worked with Baker and his family for two days planning the reception. She described Baker as a gentleman with a quick wit who “definitely did not act or look his age.”

“It’s heartbreaking for this family,” Cofer said. “To think, that such a joyous time was marred.”

Kimberly Christner, chief executive officer of Beck Co. Hotels, which manages the Craddock-Terry, said she didn’t believe the slaying would have a negative impact on patronage, “because it didn’t have anything to do with the hotel,” but refused to comment when asked if she felt the area around the hotel was safe.

Swisher said the downtown area is generally safe and called the slaying “unusual.”

Commonwealth’s Attorney Michael Doucette said anyone 14 or older charged with murder in Virginia is automatically prosecuted by law in circuit court if a juvenile court judge finds probable cause to support the charges. Prosecution in circuit court exposes them to the possibility of adult-term prison sentences.

This is the third homicide in Lynchburg this year after the city went murder-free in 2009. Derrick Lee Payne, 25, was shot and killed near 17th and Floyd streets in May. Theodore Curtis Poe, 20, was shot and killed in the 400 block of Lakewood Street in July.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Son of a BITCH! ^%##$@%$%^$%$#^$#@ FERAL ANIMALS.

"I don't want retribution, I want redemption," Baker said of his father's killers. He added that the two 16- year-olds will be tried as adults.
What incredible character of the man. I would want retribution. Most definitely. He's a better person than I'll ever be.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, really impressive.

Quoted: One of them told police that the suspects were trying to impress a girl they were with.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I am without words.

EDIT......OK, now I have a few words....First off, reading this article, Mr. Baker seemed like a gem of a human being, and this world is a lesser place without him.  I a positive that his family and friends will concur.  Second thought is, what in the hell kind of children are people raising now?  I won't wander off into the punishment area, but these three should get the maximum available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What a tragedy. The country is fucked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a pretty sad story. I'm glad to see at least a couple of the kids will be tried as adults.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, really impressive.

Quoted: One of them told police that the suspects were trying to impress a girl they were with.

No shit.  Did Tempe run out of homeless to kill?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow. Perps ought to be shot.

Waiting for pics of perps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What the FUCK
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Prayers for that Family, this shit is fucked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, really impressive.

Apparently nothing impresses girls like beating a defenseless old man.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Man that sucks , to bad it didnt end like one that happen here about 4 years ago were a 80something old man took a shotgun from his attackers and killed one and wounded another .  I hope they are tried as adults and given the death penalty.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man that sucks , to bad it didnt end like one that happen here about 4 years ago were a 80something old man took a shotgun from his attackers and killed one and wounded another .  I hope they are tried as adults and given the death penalty.

Can they do that in Virginia?  Here in Texas they don't allow the death penalty unless you were an adult when you committed the crime.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
too bad he didn't have a weapon on him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
This shit is going to continue to get worse until people start putting the animals down.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Poor Man..

I'm guessing he was an old white dude and the attackers were not..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd bet my paycheck that you're right.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd like to know what part of VA this crime took place? I understand names of the suspects cannot be released since they are under 18, but, if you are being charged as an adult, then your name(s) should be released. We're not getting the whole story here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Poor Man..

Old white dude, yes. Not sure on the attackers, but probably a good chance you are right.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#20]
happened in Lynchburg, Va.

“It was a senseless, brutal attack,” Swisher said. “It was a random act that was totally unprovoked, and Mr. Baker played no role in the altercation. The boy told the group he was walking with that he was going to assault the next person he saw, and that person happened to be Mr. Baker — and the two other boys acted in concert with him. What a tragic, tragic event.”
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd like to know what part of VA this crime took place? I understand names of the suspects cannot be released since they are under 18, but, if you are being charged as an adult, then your name(s) should be released. We're not getting the whole story here.

Looks like Lynchburg, VA

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, that story upset me... Carry your guns, be ready, protect yourselves and the people around you.

I wish I could have been there for you Mr.Baker.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
"The teens suspected in Baker’s death were known to police, but Swisher said he could not comment on their criminal history. They also were believed to have some kind of gang affiliation, Swisher said."
different article here
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Uh, Lynchburg. It's in the article.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Updated OP with another article, Looks like it took place in Lynchburg, VA
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This shit is going to continue to get worse until people start putting the animals down.

this. A slap on the wrist and some rehab and they will be back on the streets at some point.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"There was no motive," Lynchburg (Va.) Police Department Captain Todd Swisher said, "This should have been a joyful occasion but it has been marred by this tragedy."

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This story got to me for some reason. Senseless crime for no reason against an older man.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2010/09/08/20100908tempe-man-beaten-to-death-after-wedding-abrk.html

Bullshit. There is ALWAYS a motive.
In this case, the motive was to emulate the shit they hear in songs on MTV.
Their motive may have also been to steal money to buy crack or a pit bull.
Their motive may have been to buy some 24" rimz for the Buick.
Their motive may have been for street cred.
Fuck the bastards that might call this a "tragedy" instead of an "atrocity"...there is always a motive.

Tragedies never have motive.

Atrocities do.

Fucking QUIT using the word "tragedy".

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck the bastards that might call this a "tragedy" instead of an "atrocity"...there is always a motive.

Atrocities do.

Found your motive see below. Sad that this happened. Didn't even make the papers in NoVA.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2010/sep/08/man-found-unconscious-street-dies-ar-489549/

Three teens arrested in downtown beating death
By Matt Busse and Chris Dumond

An act of teenage male bravado on the part of at least one boy may have led to Sunday’s beating death of an 81-year-old man visiting Lynchburg for his granddaughter’s wedding, police said.

Two 16-year-olds and a 13-year-old were arrested Tuesday and charged with the murder of George Leroy Baker III, of Tempe, Ariz.

Police found Baker unconscious on the 1100 block of Main Street about 11 p.m. Sunday. Baker suffered “significant head injuries,” Lynchburg Police Capt. Todd Swisher said.

He was taken to Lynchburg General Hospital, where he died Monday, Swisher said.

“This seems to be an unprovoked, random violent act,” he said. “What a tragic event.”

Though police have said they are prohibited by law from naming juveniles, a search warrant filed in Lynchburg Circuit Court on Tuesday identified Kenneth Davis as the person who ran up to Baker “in an aggressive manner” before witnesses heard what sounded like a blow to Baker’s body and saw Davis running away.

Witnesses told police they heard Davis say he would hit the first person he saw in order to impress girls he was with, the affidavit from Lynchburg Det. Todd Rodes states.

“A witness dining at the Hash House saw a young black male kick the victim in the face after he had already been knocked to the ground,” the affidavit states. “The victim was unconscious upon bystanders coming to his aide.”

The affidavit states witnesses identified Davis by name and in a photo lineup as participating in the beating.

Investigators took a red and black “Miami” jersey, two pairs of shoes and several pairs of pants and shorts from a unit at the Lynchburg High Apartments on Park Avenue listed as Davis’ home, according to the search warrant.

The warrant was executed about half an hour before police say the first 16-year-old was arrested, at about 1 a.m. Tuesday.

The other two teens were arrested around 4 p.m. Tuesday, police said. Their identities remain unknown.

Baker was staying at the Craddock-Terry Hotel for the wedding Sunday and left for an evening walk downtown, Swisher said.

Matt Addington, a photographer at the wedding who said he was a friend and former roommate of the groom, identified the couple as Leslie Baker and Joe Gahagen, who he said were both Liberty University students.

Addington described George Baker as “the life of the party. He seemed very spry for his age, full of life.”

Tara Cofer, co-owner of Tresca on Eighth, where the wedding reception was held, worked with Baker and his family for two days planning the reception. She described Baker as a gentleman with a quick wit who “definitely did not act or look his age.”

“It’s heartbreaking for this family,” Cofer said. “To think, that such a joyous time was marred.”

Kimberly Christner, chief executive officer of Beck Co. Hotels, which manages the Craddock-Terry, said she didn’t believe the slaying would have a negative impact on patronage, “because it didn’t have anything to do with the hotel,” but refused to comment when asked if she felt the area around the hotel was safe.

Swisher said the downtown area is generally safe and called the slaying “unusual.”

Commonwealth’s Attorney Michael Doucette said anyone 14 or older charged with murder in Virginia is automatically prosecuted by law in circuit court if a juvenile court judge finds probable cause to support the charges. Prosecution in circuit court exposes them to the possibility of adult-term prison sentences.

This is the third homicide in Lynchburg this year after the city went murder-free in 2009. Derrick Lee Payne, 25, was shot and killed near 17th and Floyd streets in May. Theodore Curtis Poe, 20, was shot and killed in the 400 block of Lakewood Street in July.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Fuck this, shoot the bastards, but first let everyone in the wedding party have their turn beating the everliving shit out of them.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#31]
ugh, my reading comprehension sucks tonight, and trying to wrap this around my brain just made my head explode. I give up. Preying on the elderly is hideous.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Video of one of the 16yo's pastor give me a pretty good idea that this is another rare example of B.O.W. violence:

http://www.wset.com/global/category.asp?c=189690&clipId=5096810&autostart=true

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Stories like this are the reason I will carry until the day i die.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Son of a BITCH! ^%##$@%$%^$%$#^$#@ FERAL ANIMALS.

What incredible character of the man. I would want retribution. Most definitely. He's a better person than I'll ever be.

I'd want to beat them to death.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm skirting the edge of the CoC here but I'm increasingly unsuprised when white people become 'racist'.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Atrocities do.

Fucking QUIT using the word "tragedy".

Yeah, "tragedy" makes it sound like an accident.    It definitely was no accident.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I think we need public executions and floggings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#39]
fucking sad
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Yay society wins again!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#42]
The entire family line of those defective human beings needs to be boxed up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#43]

"I don't want retribution, I want redemption," Baker said of his father's killers

That is some powerful stuff right there.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#44]
What burns me the most is that nobody did anything (like stopping the thugs) until it was too late for the victim.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh damn, this hurts. I'm sad at how cruel people can be.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fuck this, shoot the bastards, but first let everyone in the wedding party have their turn beating the everliving shit out of them.

Still too merciful.    Whatever happens to them needs to be harsh and PUBLIC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What burns me the most is that nobody did anything (like stopping the thugs) until it was too late for the victim.

agree...however I would bet it was over in a matter of a few seconds...probably not enough time to do much about it.

savages

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Call the reverend if it was different colors all the way around.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Kind of hard to stop an unprovoked attack with no warning. Now if a good citizen put two bullets into him as he was running away... Well, I would not convict the shooter.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quick trial to verify guilt, then run the kids through a tree chipper.  Even the 13 year old.  Give no quarter for feral animals.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top