Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:07:08 PM EDT
This weekend, a poor young girl was targeted by a black man and raped at 12:30 AM.  This happened in my neighbor's yard, directly across from mine.  I was sleeping with the windows open and didn't hear anything.  I can't believe it.  The police caught the guy within 24 hours, and apparently he had raped and assaulted several women.  So, here are my several comments/points: 1) I live in a very nice neighborhood.  Crime has increased from essentially 0 to a lot ever since a public rail transportation system was put in place.  These crimes are pretty much committed all by African Americans from the North side of town that take the rail to nice neighborhoods and conduct crimes 2) St. Louis city cops would have done nothing about this type of crime.  Hell, they don't even investigate murders, let alone assaults and rape 3) I don't know how to feel that this happened in front of my house.  I wish I would have detected something so that I could have perhaps helped the young girl.  At a minimum, I would have liked to have been able to call the cops.  I feel a bit ashamed to say I'm a little sorry I didn't get to draw down on this prick.  He held her at gunpoint, so the response would have had to be equal.

Flame on, bitches.

story
I suggest reading some of the comments
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
IN!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit happens while you sleep, deal with it. The world is a bad place.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
St. Louis has nice areas?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You sleep too deeply.

Go get all fucked in the head about something so you won't sleep any more.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Nick, could you post a link to the blotter report please and thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
When a North St. Louis alderman comes out publicly and tells his constituents to arm themselves then you better believe the situation has reached critical mass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Crime has increased from 0 to a lot, is that an official FBI statistic?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I can already see where this thread is gonna go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FBI doesn't get that technical.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
That sucks...I would love to be able to stop a crime like that from happening.

Do you have your own local A.A's or do they all come from other areas?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
cant be everywhere all the time...

You know it's a sick fact but this kind of shit is commonplace.. used to be the hood and residents of such policed their own or in modern lingo repped they block
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You sleep too deeply.

I think he just did.

OP, I had a black roommate who picked out our apartment based on the lack of public transportation, and the level of "insulation" that provided.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

sounds pretty official doesn't it?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FBI doesn't get that technical.

Come spend a weekend in the Lou and you can witness a "statistic" quite often.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You sleep too deeply.

I think he just did.

OP, I had a black roommate who picked out our apartment based on the lack of public transportation, and the level of "insulation" that provided.

I live in what is referred to as the hood and yeah public transit access is considered a risk factor by people whom make a living providing a product that rhymes with track
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#18]
POS Rapist
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nick, could you post a link to the blotter report please and thanks.

in other words:

crime doesn't happen as reported by newbs unless there are police reports/news articles linked.

sorry bud, that's g.d. for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]
This is why I choose an AR for HD.  

Imagine... you do hear a rape in progress and you go outside to see what is going on, he sees you and starts shooting your way from 30 yards across the street.  Make that shot with a handgun at 2am from 30 yards after being woken up.

Or he jumps up and grabs the girl as a human shield with the gun to her head... take that precision shot with a handgun or even a shotgun.

Now, take any of the above possibilities and then use an AR with a red dot and a mounted white light and you will be able to land shots on target with monotonous regularity.  

On that note, practice for these scenarios.

And to the OP... I sleep like a corpse too... don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
In on one. I wish you would have caught the POS.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Something similar happened to me.

I lived in an apartment building. According to the cops, a serial rapist got a girl entering the door, one story down and adjacent to my place. According to the paper, he waved a knife in her face and said if you make a sound I'll cut you. She cooperated.  

Pisses me off to this day and its been a decade.

RR
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard East St. Louis is nice for a night time stroll.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#24]
WTF
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
double tap....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]
welcome to detroit... oh. This isn't a thread about detroit. Shit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my opinion, parts of North St. Louis are wost than East.  And I've been to the worst sections of each.  A white person alone would not walk out of North St. Louis alive after dark.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Thread title says your front yard, then you say neighbor's front yard. Which one was it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my opinion, parts of North St. Louis are wost than East.  And I've been to the worst sections of each.  A white person alone would not walk out of North St. Louis alive after dark.

Not true BTDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#30]
OK.  That's something to think about.

Who's fault is this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK.  That's something to think about.

Who's fault is this?

Bush?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#32]
My dog would have gone berserk if something like that had happened across the street.  Nothing that happens within 50 yards of the house escapes her hearing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Need more....

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This weekend, a poor young girl was targeted by a black man and raped at 12:30 AM.  This happened in my neighbor's yard, directly across from mine.  I was sleeping with the windows open and didn't hear anything.  I can't believe it.  The police caught the guy within 24 hours, and apparently he had raped and assaulted several women.  So, here are my several comments/points: 1) I live in a very nice neighborhood.  Crime has increased from essentially 0 to a lot ever since a public rail transportation system was put in place.  These crimes are pretty much committed all by African Americans from the North side of town that take the rail to nice neighborhoods and conduct crimes 2) St. Louis city cops would have done nothing about this type of crime.  Hell, they don't even investigate murders, let alone assaults and rape 3) I don't know how to feel that this happened in front of my house.  I wish I would have detected something so that I could have perhaps helped the young girl.  At a minimum, I would have liked to have been able to call the cops.  I feel a bit ashamed to say I'm a little sorry I didn't get to draw down on this prick.  He held her at gunpoint, so the response would have had to be equal.

Flame on, bitches.

story
I suggest reading some of the comments

If you were asleep and heard nothing, there's nothing you could've done, you were out... nothing to feel bad or guilty over even though it sucks.

If you were awake and aware and it happened, that's when you punch yourself in the face for being worthless.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds pretty official doesn't it?

I couldn't find crime data on my neighborhood, but this is from a bordering township.  They had high crime to begin with, but you see a spike in 2007 when the surface train came to their area:

Violent Crimes

Rate Per 100K People
2001 380
2002       416
2003       457
2004  354
2005   476
2006   N/A
2007        670
2008  830
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#36]
That's fucked up, I saw this story on the news to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag to see if this survives the night

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Crime has increased from 0 to a lot, is that a WORTHLESS official FBI statistic?

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Charged with robbery he committed earlier too.  This stain is an animal he is a wolf preying on the sheep and he knows where the easy pickins' is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Another Obama voter. My surprised face
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.    It won't do any good.    It is an unfortunate event that happened, but it is not your fault.

If you had heard it and gotten in the middle of it things could have turned out a whole lot worse, for everyone involved.    The guy could have freaked out, shot her, shot you and then shot himself assuming you didn't shoot him first.    

I'm not saying that as a cop out to never get invloved if you/I ever hear something out of the ordinary, I'm simply saying that we could be reading a lot worse story that what took place.

It still sucks and I feel terrible for the victim.      I hope the raper gets the full penalty allowed by law and is never allowed out to do such acts ever again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm constantly being reminded on Arfcom that if I feel the need to carry in my own home, I live in a ghetto neighborhood and need to move.

I'm quite curious to find out how exactly you know that the cops won't even investigate it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Nick you need a dog a loud dog.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#44]
eh no big deal, my old man came into my house at 6:30ish and loaded up a bunch of stuff for a job he had stored there and i didn't hear a thing he said he was amazed i didn't wake up as he wasn't being quiet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#45]
they put a Bus stop outside of my place...and I remarked to my GF yesterday that my neighborhood was becoming a "target rich environment"

COC prevents me from saying anything else in this thread except I am glad that I participate in carbine matches regularly.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Wifey lived in U City before her family moved to West County. I flushed a prowler from the bushes at that new house. She was involved in a bad robbery as a teen, too.

Sorry to hear about that, OP. You can't fault yourself for sleeping. It's a TV/Hollywood fallacy that the poor victim would always be screaming. Threats coupled with many victims' startle/freeze response make some of the most heinous crimes take place at barely a whisper. Just my observation from study and observation of people in crisis resource training.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

ever since a public rail transportation system was put in place.

No kidding. I have the same feeling that's going to happen when they expand the DC Metro rail to Dulles through Tysons here in VA.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#48]
wtf.   sorry you had public transit ruin your area.  I'm going to avoid having that around my next house.

what a f*ck.  Too bad you didn't hear what was going on.  damn.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#49]
MOVE
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

First thing that poped into my head too. So are there any nice areas in St. Louis?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top