Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 5:54:33 PM EDT
My buddy is trying to get me into flying R/C helicopters. I understand a R/C helicopter is pretty hard to fly. He said it wouldnt be a bad idea to buy a simulator for the computer before trying to actually fly one.  What do you guys recomend?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
RealFlight G-whatever.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

RealFlight G-whatever.

Yep.  It'll pay for itself rather quickly.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Start with a cheap Air Hogs one.

Master it, then buy the $300 one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, come to think about it, I have a E FLight Blade MSR, and feel I learned more flying that thing in the house than I did playing with the simulator.

Check out the mini Helis from E Flight.  The Blade MSR would be a good little heli to learn to fly on in the house, and even down the road once you have a larger bird, you'll still get enjoyment out of the Blade.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You could just start with an easy and cool heli or quadcopter.

Here's my next one. AR Drone Friggin amazing!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
RC Heli Sims are a MUST when starting...unless you like crashing, spending lots of money on parts, and getting so frustrated that you quit.

Practice using the sim until you can at least hover in all orientations.......then try the real thing.  Heli's are not that hard, but they just take patience, and lots of practice to fly.  It took me a while to get the hang of it, but now I'm in love with it. I still fly my Sim sin between flying the real thing.  When you get to the point of doing mild 3D stuff...it's much better to practice and crash on the sim, than in real life.

So to answer your questions...YES...get a SIM and get used to it before you dump a huge amount of money on an RC heli.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I like realflight, but I like phoenix sim much better! http://phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I never got the software, but can see how it would help.  Bought a blade 120 sr here a week ago, and I'm needing to do a parts run.  Fat Mc Nasty reccomended Radds school of rotary flight.  Read some of it before I took it outside and ran it into the house/car/road/pedestrian/lawn a couple dozen times.  Only thing I damaged was cosmetic stuff, but while I'm down there ima pick up some spare rotors for the time that I feel it is important to see how fast it goes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top