Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 5:52:30 PM EDT
I just fouund a medal in my grandmothers house. The top Bar says, :First NGSM INFTY. The medal itself Say COI Veteran. The medal was found in Minnesota if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was awarded in Minnesota the NGSM would mean National Guard, State of Minnesota.  So probably First Division, MN National Guard, Infantry.  Not sure what COI Veteran means...Not many acronyms for that, except the Coordinator Of Information, which existed for about a year as the precursor to the OSS in WWII.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Post pics.  The ribbon color scheme is important.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont have pics as I  didnt bring a camera with. There is no ribbon. The top bar which also has a shield(like the AG shield/or old olymic shield).

The Top bar is connected by a set of chain loops kind of like my marksmanship medal over here.

I am wondering if its a medal from the Civil War or Phillipine Insurrection.

<––––––––––––––––––––––––medal
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Here it is bad cell pic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Center of Influence.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
wrong timeframe I think. I might be wrong
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Mercury-Redstone Ball-Turret Gunner ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#8]
It would definitely appear to be a service medal for the 1st MN Infantry, whcih saw action at Gettysburg.  What COI Veteran represents is uncertain.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mercury-Redstone Ball-Turret Gunner ?

Heh.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It would definitely appear to be a service medal for the 1st MN Infantry, whcih saw action at Gettysburg.  What COI Veteran represents is uncertain.

Yeah, which would make it the 1st infantry regiment, not division, which I had originally guessed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, which would make it the 1st infantry regiment, not division, which I had originally guessed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Well, if that is correct...would this guy be able to help?

http://1stminnesota.net/

((ETA))  Or, even these folks?

http://www.firstminnesota.org/

Looking around for the medal, but, no luck so far.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
That would be the correct timeframe.  This was my grandmother's fathers medal I believe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, could COI Mean Company I?  I did notice a Company K mentioned.

(ETA) If so, it could have been a medal 'commisioned' at the Company level and not offical?

(ETA 2)  Couple interesting timeline on the Regiment...

http://civilwarintheeast.com/USA/MN/1MN.php
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Still looking down the Co I angle...to see if it pans out...

2nd Company Sharpshooters

Organized at St. Paul, Minn., November 23, 1861, to March 17, 1862, and mustered in March 20, 1862. Moved to Washington, D.C., April 21-26, 1862, thence to Virginia Peninsula May 3-5. Attached to 1st U. S. Sharpshooters as Company "I" until May 30, 1862. Assigned to duty with 1st Minnesota Infantry, May 30 to November 23, 1863. Attached to 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac.

http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unmninf1.htm

((ETA))Welps, out of time to mess with it today, and out of search ideas.  I'll dig a bit more tomorrow when my brain comes up with another way to try and id that medal.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah You and I are looking at the same thing.  You might be on to something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top