Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 2:07:29 PM EDT
Here's how it work(ed)s.....

You sign a 3 year contract for a phone, getting the cheapest retail price possible.  Use the phone for roughly 2 years and then call them back and say "listen, this thing is old, I need a hardware upgrade".  They usually say "sure, no problem, you just need to sign a new 3 year contract".  

You get a new phone every 2 years and they get fucked out of the "2 year" price of the phone you technically should have paid.

I tried this today and they said they can't do it anymore.....

Now they have a $75 fee if you want to re-sign on a 3 year with a new phone before your current contract is up.

I told the chick that either they wave the $75 fee or I pay out my contract and go elsewhere.  She said she'll call me back.  This does not look like it will end my way.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
3 year contract?

Most I have ever seen is a 2 year. And even then they still assrape you if you get a cheap phone and it craps out in a few months.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
3 year contract?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not seeing the benefit. Do you get a price break by signing a three year contract?

I do two year stints with AT&T and still get a "free" upgrade every two years...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
3 year contract?

What do you expect from the land of milk in a bag.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
3 year contracts and bagged milk, isn't the great white north wonderful?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
silly canadians and your 3 yr contracts.,
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
3 year contract?

Most I have ever seen is a 2 year. And even then they still assrape you if you get a cheap phone and it craps out in a few months.

That's 3 years Canadian. Roughly 2 years US.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]
it must suck when every thread you start turns into canadian bashing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy fuck, they don't do 3 year contracts in the US?

That's the most popular version up here, most people go with them because they knock a whole bunch of money off of the cost of the phone.

IE, I'm looking at a BB 9700 (I think).  Retail is $500 - 2 year cost is $299 and 3 year cost is $99.

I save $200 bucks by signing a 3 year and then calling in after only two....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
At least its not a 5 year plan.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 year contract?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

it must suck when every thread you start turns into canadian bashing.

I love it.  The bagged milk jokes are fucking way played out, but whatever.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Hahahahahaha!!

The phone companies are screwing yall worse than they screw everybody else and you didn't even know it!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]
See, I'm not lying.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's the most popular version up here, most people go with them because they knock a whole bunch of money off of the cost of the phone.

IE, I'm looking at a BB 9700 (I think).  Retail is $500 - 2 year cost is $299 and 3 year cost is $99.

So they are asking you to pay $75 now which is still a $125 savings compared to a 2 year plan and you are still complaining?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hahahahahaha!!

The phone companies are screwing yall worse than they screw everybody else and you didn't even know it!

We get ass-rapped in Canada for cell phone service.

It's such a large country with such a small population that it isn't all the cost effective to be putting towers up every 4 miles because there might not be anyone living there.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they are asking you to pay $75 now which is still a $125 savings compared to a 2 year plan and you are still complaining?

What?  

I'm not complaining, I thought 3 year contracts were pretty standard fare no matter where you went.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With Verizon, you do a 2 year contract and they knock a ton off the price of the phone. Of course, I'm pretty sure they jack up the prices to begin with, but if you try and pay out of pocket, that's what they charge you. I got my Blackberry Tour the day it came out, for like 100 bucks, but it would have cost like 500 bucks to buy it outright. Lots of crappier phones you can get for free or like 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

3 year contract?

In Canada, milk comes in bags and cellphones comes with three year contracts.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Holy shit. That is ridiculous. 400 bucks with a 2 year plan. You are getting screwed my friend.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#22]

But it's priced in snow pesos, so it's only like five or six bucks in first world currency.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Here in the U.S. we have similar deals on the phones, but it's every two years and you get $150 off your next phone, or even 50% off when you re-upp...

I think it is just more competitive here, due to population density as you said, and our telecom laws. And I wouldn't want to go longer, because something carried every day like a phone and knocked about is usually on it's last legs by two years...

Mrs. Dual just got the Android HTC Evo 4G for $199 because we re-upped. I'll get mine in a month when I'm up for the rebate/discount.

Freaking HDMI ports on a cell phone....

And for the record... some parts of Northern WI did the bag-milk thing too. No... I don't live in northern WI...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 year contract?

Aw hell, just ship me out to Vietnam. Running to Canada is out.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
3 year contract?

Side note:  We have more people on food stamps than they have people.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't imagine having a phone for 3 years.  After 1 I'm nursing mine to hope they can make it through the 2nd.  And if you're one who likes to keep up with the times,  you'd definitely be obsolete after 3 years.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The Verizon equivalent (9650) is $129 with 2yr contract.  $49 for a preowned.

ETA: I should note that this is with a brand new contract.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Man, y'all ARE getting raped with that shit.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The Verizon equivalent (9650) is $129 with 2yr contract.  $49 for a preowned.

ETA: I should note that this is with a brand new contract.

Oh, I'm fucking pissed now....

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
3 year contract?

He is Canadian, Eh!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#31]
In california, they give you real milk and a cell phone with every happy meal.  If anyone offered me a 3yr contract I would laugh in their face.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#32]
They still charge for Blackberry phones on contract??
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

And for the record... some parts of Northern WI did the bag-milk thing too. No... I don't live in northern WI...

Most of Northern Wisconsin thinks that it is Canada.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Or you could just pay the $3 a month and break the phone when you want a new one I just wait untill I get offered an upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I use a GSM carrier, get whatever cheapest phone they have and then go buy an unlocked GSM phone myself. It's expensive but I can use whatever US-band phone I want and know that nothing on the phone is crippled.

The only limitation is that T-mobile uses a non-standard frequency for their 3G in the US, so all I get is Edge speeds.
I have seen that some of the newer unlocked phones (built for the US market) do support both, or can be ordered for the T-mobile 3G frequency though, so next time around that shouldn't be a problem.

––––––––

If the US government were useful, they'd require all the US mobile phone companies to switch to GSM and use standard voice and data frequencies. It's already done on a large scale in other regions of the world, so there's not much solid technical arguments against it.

Effective coverage would require much fewer towers (since any phone from any carrier would work on any tower) and there would be no more arguments about exclusive phone deals like the AT&T / iPhone.
~
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck that.

I've been with AT&T since 2006 and month-to-month since 2008.

A couple of months ago, I got a certificate in the mail for a free phone, a Pantech Link, because they "are upgrading the network in my area" and were concerned that my old phone wouldn't be compatable.

Yes, the Pantech Link isn't the greatest phone, but it was free.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Here it is 2 years AT&T with every 21 month upgrades
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Or you could just pay the $3 a month and break the phone when you want a new one I just wait untill I get offered an upgrade.

They charge $20/month up here (minimum of $200) to break your contract, not $3.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They charge $20/month up here (minimum of $200) to break your contract, not $3.  

i think he is talking about getting the insurance on the phone and breaking it not the contract.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#40]
They do the contracts a bit different up there, eh ?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Seems like a good place to use this...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

3 year contract?

yep. I paid $50 for my Blackberry. When it broke, it was $89 to replace it. And I have the insurance.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fuck that.

I've been with AT&T since 2006 and month-to-month since 2008.

A couple of months ago, I got a certificate in the mail for a free phone, a Pantech Link, because they "are upgrading the network in my area" and were concerned that my old phone wouldn't be compatable.

Yes, the Pantech Link isn't the greatest phone, but it was free.

It is useful to get a "do-everything" phone at least once. You don't really know what features you'll use until you have a phone that has them, and you play with it enough to know how to use them. If you'd have asked me two years ago if I needed a phone with GPS, a camera, an appointment organizer and internet access, I'd have laughed––but all of those things has saved my professional butt, several times––and have kept me from wasting money and time on lots of other occasions. Could I live without all that?––sure. But I know how useful it can be, and don't mind paying full price for a phone that can do it.

––––––––-

Another thing a lot of (older) people don't realize is that even though they have more features than ever, techno-phones are easier to use than ever before. Many don't even come with instruction manuals now, just a think pamphlet that tells how to put the battery in and how to hook up the charger, and has warranty info. Once you are familiar with the basic features of one phone, it's not difficult to do the same things on any other phone, since they all have their interfaces laid out the same way.

I have met people who didn't have any idea how to use even the most basic features of their dumbphones––didn't know how to view their call history, didn't know how to save a called number into the contacts list,,,, someone recent didn't even know they could store contacts on the (mobile) phone at all, and they were carrying around a little notebook of people's phone numbers along with their phone. And the guy didn't want me to show him how to do it.
~

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#44]
My plan is much, much cheaper than that.

I simply went to the local provider, work, and requested a phone. It was given to me along with the number and an instruction manual. I paid nothing out of pocket. Yes you read that correctly, nothing out of pocket.

Of course my work says I must have a phone so they provide me with one. This results in no out of pocket expense.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been with Tracfone since 2001.

I OWN everything! The phone, the minutes, everything.

If I have problems, I'll throw the damn thing in the river and walk away.

You couldn't talk me into a plan with a free blow job!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Pay 99 with a 3 year or pay 300 on Ebay or Craigslist. If your sticking with them go with the 3 year. If you cancel to change companies within the 3 year an ETF should be around 300. Yes its an extra 100 but 100 you do not have to pay now.

Cell companies are not giving phones or freebies away like they used to. Sprint changed their computer system a year ago before selling Android phones. The new system eliminates a majority of freebies and forced customer into more expensive plans with less minutes to upgrade. The new plans include free mobile to mobile which most companies do not offer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Is everything not GSM up there? Does Canada not do the whole European model of buying a cheap pre-paid SIM and just throwing it in the phone of your choice?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Is everything not GSM up there? Does Canada not do the whole European model of buying a cheap pre-paid SIM and just throwing it in the phone of your choice?

Negative, CDMA is much bigger then GSM here.  

2 of our "big 3" run on CDMA, unfortunately.  

I would love to go with our 1 GSM service provider, but their rural coverage isn't even close to what the CDMA companies offer.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Negative, CDMA is much nigger then GSM here.  

2 of our "big 3" run on CDMA, unfortunately.  

I would love to go with our 1 GSM service provider, but their rural coverage isn't even close to what the CDMA companies offer.

Dr. Freud, is that you?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 year contract?

HAHAHA NARF!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top