Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 1:12:07 PM EDT
CAIRO – The Quran is the most sacred object in the daily lives of Muslims and burning it would be considered an offense against God.

Islam teaches that the holy book is the direct word of God, received by the Prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel, and it defines the belief and conduct for followers of the religion.

The Quran is so important in the faith that Islamic teaching spells out how it should be handled, including directing anyone who touches it to be in a state of ritual purity. To properly dispose of a Quran, Muslims burn it or bury it, so God's word cannot be defiled.

Concern about Muslim sensitivities has prompted the White House, religious leaders and others to call on the leader of a small Florida church that espouses anti-Islam philosophy, the Rev. Terry Jones, to call off a threat to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11.

The Quran was considered a miracle because Muhammad — who was illiterate — was chosen by God to convey his final message to humanity over a period of 23 years, according to Islamic beliefs.

Muhammad's companions memorized the Quran and wrote it down. It was only made in its current form in a collection of 114 Surras, or verses, after the prophet's death in 632.

The Quran to Muslims is the final word of God after a series of revelations, starting with Adam, going through Abraham, Moses and Jesus and ending with Muhammad.

"Muslims believe the Quran is the divine word of God, in letter and meaning," Abdel-Moeti Bayoumi, a religious scholar at Cairo's prominent Islamic Al-Azhar University, said. "If a human burns the revealed word of God, this would be considered the gravest crime for all Muslims."

This should make things very interesting!  
EDIT:  Info via yahoo news
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what the reaction would be if some Muslim group was going to have bible burning.  I think it would probably be a more similar effect if they burned a church itself to make a statement if this story is to be taken correctly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand that this should probably be in the politics section, but if the church does the burning I could easily see gas prices going thru the roof. And things kicking off like when the cartoon of Mohammad was put out a few years back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I predict this will get moved or locked since it's an ongoing topic in GD.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I apologize to the Mods
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, look at it from this angle: remember the Muslim riots in France a few years back?  The mass chaos caused by those riots was certainly a SHTF for the people of France.  Anyone think a similar response is possible in the US over this "outrage"?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, look at it from this angle: remember the Muslim riots in France a few years back?  The mass chaos caused by those riots was certainly a SHTF for the people of France.  Anyone think a similar response is possible in the US over this "outrage"?

That was the point I was making!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Cartoons, books by people like Salman Rushdie, a woman going out in public alone... Everything pisses them off..
I don't care anymore.. Bring it on..! Lets get this shit over with..

They all sound like "Achmed the Dead Terrorist"... "I kill you!!"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think anything good comes from burning books.  First books then people I was told.

Here is a history of burnt books... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning  from 213 BC till now.  I don't see one good thing that came out of any of those historic burnings.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Standing firm with Pastor Jones. Light that match, brother!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
ground zero is sacred to Americans....
so why is it OK to shit on us.. but not the other way around?

just askin' is all....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think anything good comes from burning books.  First books then people I was told.

Here is a history of burnt books... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning  from 213 BC till now.  I don't see one good thing that came out of any of those historic burnings.

Besides one or two of the accounts in that Wiki article, most of the book burnings were done by people in authority against perceived insurrectionists.  There were admittedly a few cites of non-gov/church/organization individuals conducting book burnings, specifically of Torahs and Christian literature, that made me uneasy.  

It's this church's "right" to do this.  Is it a good idea?  Remains to be seen.  The outcome will most likely be negative.  I expect some sort of organized protest, complete with riot, on the day of, or shortly after said burning occurs.

Personally, I think the Koran is the work of the devil, and should be wiped off the face of the earth, but that's just my opinion.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#12]
they think its ok to burn our flag, so I see nothing wrong with burning their books.  Fuck those animals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think anything good comes from burning books. First books then people I was told.

Some people NEED to burn, fuck them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Meh... As someone else pointed out, as southpark and family guy have both illustrated. Everything pisses off these people. But yet they want our help when their craphole of a country floods... gets taken over by fanatics... a shortage on towels.... I didnt see them offering aide when katrina hit.... Screw em' this is America and if I want to have a weenie roast on their holy book that is my God given right. I've seen enough of them setting my flag on fire that I just don't care any more. I lost one of the best men I ever knew to these religious freaks, my only and most sincere request in this is that it burns for days and I wish I could toss a match or donate some lighter fluid. But if this was one a country like theres I'm sure we'd be burning people (as they've already done to our citizenry anyone else remember blackwater) not their holy shit paper, but we are more civilized than that.

Also, no suprise theres pressure from our muslim president who hates this country, its people, its beleifs, to stop the burn. Nice to know uncle sam obongo has your back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Standing firm with Pastor Jones. Light that match, brother!

Seriously?  I TOTALLY disagree with Islam, but I won't be burning my "Translation of the Quaran".  I would'nt want Muslims burning Bibles, Torahs, or Books of Mormon.  Interestingly enough, unless in it's original language it is NOT a Quaran, it is a "translation", and not actually considered a Quaran.  Will they be burning actual Arabic Quarans?  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen enough of them setting my flag on fire that I just don't care any more.

Flags hell, what about the Black Water guys?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've seen enough of them setting my flag on fire that I just don't care any more.

Flags hell, what about the Black Water guys?

I edited mine to put them in there,I almost forgot. Thank you for the reminder.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
religious freedom protects their right to burn US flags and bibles and even to build a mosque where ever they want(pursuant to codes ect ect)
religious freedom also protects the right of that pastor to burn the Quran .
I love how quickly everyones opinion changes when the situation gets reversed.

first amendment is just as important as the second
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Really an eye for an eye?  Not all Muslims are extremist ... not all Muslims burnt flags or black water employees .. Not all Muslims are for the mosque at ground zero.

That hate is really going to burn you guys up.

Even if you are only burning in protest to the extreme Muslims out there ... I've got news for you .. you aren't going to out savage those savages and putting yourselves at their level won't solve anything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

religious freedom protects their right to burn US flags and bibles and even to build a mosque where ever they want(pursuant to codes ect ect)

religious freedom also protects the right of that pastor to burn the Quran .

I love how quickly everyones opinion changes when the situation gets reversed.

first amendment is just as important as the second

Bigotry isn't freedom.  I'm not concerned with the burnings or protests I actually will protect that right.  It's the bigotry it stands for that I cannot stand the smell of.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#21]
this is a preacher with 17 followers... why is the media making a big deal?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#22]
if god really had a sense of humor, there would be a suicide bomber at the book burning.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
There is NO reason to EVER burn a book. All knowledge is written down for a reason, even silly shit like Steven King or that Twilight crap adds to our culture. Nazis and Communists burn books.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Mohammed was a child molester and the world's most successful con man. He made L Ron Hubbard look like an amateur.
With that said....I believe that the Koran burning is a mistake. It's not going to convert any Muslims to Christianity. It's not going to change any minds. What it will do is stir up even more hatred against the US and it will cause American deaths overseas.  The media in this country will air the burning for days and the foreign media will show it again and again.
Patreaus is correct. This will endanger our military men and women overseas.
When you do something like this you expect some kind of win or positive result. There's obviously going to be negative consequences so you don't take actions like this without the expection of something positive coming out of it.
There is nothing positive. This group is a bunch of dipshits. If they want to be on the news then they got their wish. They may pick up another inbred loser or two to fill out their congregation but that should be the extent of their "Win."
I hope it's worth the Americans that die for their little stunt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I posted pictures of burnt bibles by the hands of muslims, no one seemed to care.

Get one match close to a koran and watch much of GD melt down.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Dumb hypocrites...
Quoted:
CAIRO – The Quran is the most sacred object in the daily lives of Muslims and burning it would be considered an offense against God.

Islam teaches that the holy book is the direct word of God, received by the Prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel, and it defines the belief and conduct for followers of the religion.

The Quran is so important in the faith that Islamic teaching spells out how it should be handled, including directing anyone who touches it to be in a state of ritual purity. To properly dispose of a Quran, Muslims burn it or bury it, so God's word cannot be defiled.

Concern about Muslim sensitivities has prompted the White House, religious leaders and others to call on the leader of a small Florida church that espouses anti-Islam philosophy, the Rev. Terry Jones, to call off a threat to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11.

The Quran was considered a miracle because Muhammad — who was illiterate — was chosen by God to convey his final message to humanity over a period of 23 years, according to Islamic beliefs.

Muhammad's companions memorized the Quran and wrote it down. It was only made in its current form in a collection of 114 Surras, or verses, after the prophet's death in 632.

The Quran to Muslims is the final word of God after a series of revelations, starting with Adam, going through Abraham, Moses and Jesus and ending with Muhammad.

"Muslims believe the Quran is the divine word of God, in letter and meaning," Abdel-Moeti Bayoumi, a religious scholar at Cairo's prominent Islamic Al-Azhar University, said. "If a human burns the revealed word of God, this would be considered the gravest crime for all Muslims."

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cartoons, books by people like Salman Rushdie, a woman going out in public alone... Everything pisses them off..

That's, "I Keeeeel you".

Infidel.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I posted pictures of burnt bibles by the hands of muslims, no one seemed to care.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's, "I Keeeeel you".

Infidel.

"i got through check opoint AAAAAA, but not through check point BBBBBB, thats when i got shot in the ass by the US militaryyyyy.. OOOO jingle bombs...."
that shit is great!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish I lived closer.  I would gladly BUY them another copy to burn.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wonder what the reaction would be if some Muslim group was going to have bible burning.  I think it would probably be a more similar effect if they burned a church itself to make a statement if this story is to be taken correctly.

I believe they burned a bunch of churches in Nepal not too long ago, a book, meh.

Satanic verses
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The friend of my enemy is my enemy
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why buy them when, with some foresight, you could have gotten hundreds of copies for free from religious groups supported with Saudi money?

I have a 10# leather bound koran in my garage. It's massive, and it cost CAIR a few bucks to have it printed and shipped to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There is NO reason to EVER burn a book. All knowledge is written down for a reason, even silly shit like Steven King or that Twilight crap adds to our culture. Nazis and Communists burn books.

Umm, even Muslims burn the Quran when a copy is worn out.

We have these amazing little wonders called 'printing presses' nowadays. We can always make more books.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have friends in Indonesia whose houses were burnt - not their bibles, their houses.

Waiting for the outrage....... <crickets>
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ground zero is sacred to Americans....
so why is it OK to shit on us.. but not the other way around?

just askin' is all....

This. As dumb as I think this is, because of what is going on at ground zero I am having a hard time giving a fuck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Meh... As someone else pointed out, as southpark and family guy have both illustrated. Everything pisses off these people. But yet they want our help when their craphole of a country floods... gets taken over by fanatics... a shortage on towels.... I didnt see them offering aide when katrina hit.... Screw em' this is America and if I want to have a weenie roast on their holy book that is my God given right. I've seen enough of them setting my flag on fire that I just don't care any more. I lost one of the best men I ever knew to these religious freaks, my only and most sincere request in this is that it burns for days and I wish I could toss a match or donate some lighter fluid. But if this was one a country like theres I'm sure we'd be burning people (as they've already done to our citizenry anyone else remember blackwater) not their holy shit paper, but we are more civilized than that.

Also, no suprise theres pressure from our muslim president who hates this country, its people, its beleifs, to stop the burn. Nice to know uncle sam obongo has your back.

It's interesting because there are so many people coming out from celebrities to presidents, to generals, saying not to do this.  What happens if every American comes out against it and one American out of 300 million does it?  Are they still angry at us?

I can see Hillary, Petreas and Obama sitting in a room going we did everything we could and your still angry at us?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So is murder but that hasn't stopped them from that now has it?  Frankly, nuking Mecca is looking really nice should these asshats launch another attack on America.  Maybe then they'll sit down, shut the fuck up, and leave the rest of the world alone.  

It's amazing how hypocritical these jack offs can be.  If you want to be treated with respect and humanity, fucking stop acting like animals and respect the views of other people.  As long as you keep this stupid religious war bullshit up, we're going to go out of our way to offend you and if I had my way, every one of you terrorist mother fuckers would have your bodies desecrated with pork and dog shit before being tossed to the hogs.  

So, fucking accept that you're precious books are going to be torched, you brought it on yourselves and you can blame yourselves.  If you don't like it, take it as a lesson about avoiding attacking America like the nutless bitch cowards you are.  You're too cowardly to stand and fight like real men and have to act like fucking pussies.  It's no wonder a few hundred thousand Israelis have handed your millions your collective asses time and time again.  You get off on calling the rest of the world infidels, a name I'll wear proudly, while you ass backwards fucktards do everything to fucking hate life instead of embracing the gift God gave you.  I mean, you fucking punish a girl for not wearing a burka by killing her?  What the fuck is wrong with you people?  Are you that ghey or retarded or fucking just hate life that much?  Anyone that follows Sharia law needs to have their head examined.  

Why America has tolorated the shit we have for the past decades from these terrorists is beyond me.  If I were President on 9/11, I'd have given Saudi one chance to fucking clean house.  If they refused or belly ached about it, I would have turn that nation into the worlds largest nuclear glass parking lot.  Understand this assholes, America has been playing kid gloves with you.  We're being nice.  We could easily fuck your nations up for the rest of eternity if we really wanted to.  Fuck with us when the right person is in the White House and you'll find out just how nasty we can be when we want to.  

You killed over 3000 innocent people on 9/11/2001.  Now, Americans are burning some of your precious books.  Personally, I think it's a waste of time but what the hell, I'd donate some gasoline to the cause.  If it upsets you after what you did to us, then it's a good thing.  If you want a fight, come on over.  We'll give you what you want... Don't be surprised when you find out that those 72 virgins in Paradise are there to fucking torment you for eternity.

Take this book burning as a lesson that we are not going to tolorate your animal behavior.   Grow up, stop acting like spoiled little bitch children and respect your neighbors.  If you don't...

WE
Will
BURY
YOU.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I don't think anything good comes from burning books. First books then people I was told.

Some people NEED to burn, fuck them.

Quoted:

+1 to both

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I see muslim women out alone all the time. Hell, I saw 2 muslim women come into the bar Sunday. They got their rum and cokes in a go cup and went back to the hookah bar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm, even Muslims burn the Quran when a copy is worn out.

We have these amazing little wonders called 'printing presses' nowadays. We can always make more books.

You know what I mean. Burning books for the sake of what is in them to make a political point is wrong.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
this is a preacher with 17 followers... why is the media making a big deal?

Because they know there are a lot of ignorant, intolerant people who like to fap to this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see muslim women out alone all the time. Hell, I saw 2 muslim women come into the bar Sunday. They got their rum and cokes in a go cup and went back to the hookah bar.

This does not conform to the GD backwoods perception of Muslims... 1/0=error

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#45]
What do you do with an American flag that is no longer servicable?

Quoted:
Dumb hypocrites...
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#46]
people are buying Qurans to burn them... this is like those idiots who bought french products to throw them away in that stupid ass protest France shit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Tough shit, this is America.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
they think its ok to burn our flag, so I see nothing wrong with burning their books.  Fuck those animals.

this is exactly what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#49]
they think its ok to burn our flag, so I see nothing wrong with burning their books. Fuck those animals.

This.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#50]
First amendment. Gotta love it. Right ACLU?

Right ACLU?

Right?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top