Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 11:56:43 AM EDT
I've decided to accept my fate and go on about my life the only way I know how... ::hanging head and slumping shoulders::

BY ENJOYING IT.  

I just bought a kayak and have joined a paddling group.  We spent two hours on the Ohio last night getting some good excercise, laughs and watching a gorgeous sunset.

I'm also planning on getting SCUBA certified in the next month or two and planning a trip to Belize.

December is a month long membership at the rock climbing gym.

I am open to all suggestions and anecdotal stories regarding any of the above or ideas for other things I should try.

Please leave my nekkid left hand ring finger and pristine womb out of it.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for first hand info on rock climbing gyms.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Learn.....ninjitsu!

Eta: darn small phone keyboard

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like your on the right track.  I thought about getting a kayak all summer for playing on lake Erie and never did it.  I'm kicking myself now.

Plan a kayak float/ camping trip.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#4]
you will love scuba diving. just keep breathing and you will be fine. gets pics of belize for us.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
In before "Paddle me!"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a kayak and have joined a paddling group...

You probably don't need to join a paddling group, I bet there are plenty of arfcommers willing to paddle you...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps learn to play an instrument? I decided to buy a guitar and learn how to play, and it has been invigorating. Much like watching a sunset of the river on a kayak.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
You will probably love scuba. It's changed our lives here. Get you some good gear though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Sooo getting married, having children and sitting in the kitchen making sammiches is out of the question?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like your on the right track.  I thought about getting a kayak all summer for playing on lake Erie and never did it.  I'm kicking myself now.

That's already in the works.  This paddling group is really active... plus I'm a charming mofo and they keep inviting me to more stuff.  

Every year I've gone on a hard hiking and camping trip.  Not sure if I'll be able to get one in this year but I've been getting invites for those, too.

I forgot to mention I've got passes to play paint ball this fall, too.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Now you've done it!  Plenty of leg humpers will take care of the later, and some will even get both...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's already in the works.  This paddling group is really active... plus I'm a charming mofo and they keep inviting me to more stuff.  

Every year I've gone on a hard hiking and camping trip.  Not sure if I'll be able to get one in this year but I've been getting invites for those, too.

I played competitive paintball for a looong time.

Play speedball - you'll love it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep your head up Sara. Your a catch by anyone's standards.
One tip on the scuba...if your wearing a wetsuit and you get cold- it's OK to pee in it!
Warms it up right quick!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sooo getting married, having children and sitting in the kitchen making sammiches is out of the question?

Nope.  Not out of the question.  

I want to do a lot of things... but there are only so many that are in my control.  I have faith the rest will work out the way it should.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
In on one for the hilarity to follow!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
One tip––keep a box of 12 hour non-drowsy Sudafed in your dive bag.....Insurance against getting blocked underwater
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You've got some balls to take a kayak out on Lake Erie, that lake can be a heartless bitch,  even on a clear blue day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#18]
No babies!

I don't plan on starting a family - if I ever do - until 30. Too much to do in life.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have no idea what despair you are talking about, unless you are somehow stuck in Dante's Inferno ... it's not like you're Taxman or anything.

I will say that I went kayaking for the first time in my life this past summer.  It was great!  I thought it would be boring.  It was not.  We saw all kinds of wildlife while paddling around the lakes.  I saw a few cranes, egrets and some raptors flying overhead.  Also saw some muskrats and beavers paddling around the shore.

The best part was that my buddy's kayak has a little cargo area for fish.  So we could go fishing off the kayak and when we hooked a catfish we could just throw it in the built-in "cooler".

I'm going camping with him again next month so we'll definitely be going kayaking again.  Kinda makes me wish I had a truck so I could haul around a kayak.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish the D/FW had stuff like that to go do. It's all flat around here, and who the hell wants to kayak down the Trinity river.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Learn.....ninjitsu!

Eta: darn small phone keyboard

I did take Jiu Jitsu, Kali and Muay Thai a while ago.  I got back into Muay Thai earlier this year but irritated the bursa sac in my hip doing repetitive low kicks and was sidelined.  After recouping I decided there are plenty of other things that I enjoy that don't land me in the doctor's office as easily.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have no idea what despair you are talking about, unless you are somehow stuck in Dante's Inferno ... it's not like you're Taxman or anything.

That was sarcasm and a play off of Jim Tash's latest misogynist thread.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
What is wrong?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No babies!

I don't plan on starting a family - if I ever do - until 30. Too much to do in life.

There was a thread that.....never mind.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I suggest taking up nude skydiving.  With video, please.

Just remember...don't descend feet first or you'll make a loud whistling noise.
CJ

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No babies!

There was a thread that.....never mind.

Well Duh MM was referencing it in her OP.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wish the D/FW had stuff like that to go do. It's all flat around here, and who the hell wants to kayak down the Trinity river.

Hey, I heard they have a guide service for that now.

And they moved the Trinity River viewing area at the new Audubon Center because all the styrofoam cups and plastic bottles piled up in front of the old location.

But that's what happens when you build a park between a low income area with a flood plain and the city landfill.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#28]
What kind of kayak did you get?  

I'm a water junkie.   I've got 3 kayaks, a canoe and a boat.     I LOVE being on the water!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In before "Paddle me!"

Just barely!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#30]
The later in life you have kids, the harder those middle of the night feedings, puke cleanups, Walmart runs for medicine are...

and then the next day at work....

And you will love SCUBA... I used to love SCUBA, until I had kids... haven't dove since.... <Sigh>....

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What kind of kayak did you get?  

I'm a water junkie.   I've got 3 kayaks, a canoe and a boat.     I LOVE being on the water!

It's an Emotion.  The color is tangerine.  I just like saying, "I have a tangerine emotion" and then making the Zoolander emo face.  

The plan is to get a second kayak next year.  I have a rack for my SUV that can carry four kayaks.  I figure if I have two with all the gear then I can ask any friend I want if they want to go paddle.  Otherwise I'm limited to those who already have gear.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The later in life you have kids, the harder those middle of the night feedings, puke cleanups, Walmart runs for medicine are...

and then the next day at work....

And you will love SCUBA... I used to love SCUBA, until I had kids... haven't dove since.... <Sigh>....

I'll be honest... I think I would have been completed overwhelmed with children and would probably haven't been such a good parent if I had had kids in my 20s.  Life without kids was already pretty chaotic.  I've mellowed a lot with age and have more patience which would make for a better mom... even if I was a little more tired.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I see you are military too.  I strongly recommend a BJJ gym, and I prefer a Gracie Gym.  Jui Jitsu has changed my life.  I can't explain it.  Why don't you come to our combatives level 1 class in october here in SC and I'll get you started?  Solid week of fun.  (but you'd be stuck with me and all my crazyness, as well as the staff that train) PM me for ATRRS info.

EDIT: we are adding the fighting with strong hand on the weapon, post, frame, hook info so you should have a great time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I was training in a Gracie gym.  That's how I got my wrist snapped back when I was 28.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Look into diving from the kayak....Ocean Kayak and some others make some nice fish & dive yaks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

20 year paintball veteran here.  You'll love it!  Never really cared for speedball though.  We've been woodsball players since day one.  Seemed like there was more strategy involved.

I just bought a kayak a month ago and was hooked the first time I had it out.  There's just something about being right on the water that's really relaxing.  It's VERY popular in my area and every weekend on the Juniata river you see dozens of boats floating around.  So far most of the people I've talked to seem pretty cool.
Here's the only pic I have of my boat.  It's an Ascend sit on top and I love it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Snip

You coming out to the KY/OH Shoot on the 25th?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That right there is the best Arfcom-targeted cry for a date that I have ever seen.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

20 year paintball veteran here.  You'll love it!  Never really cared for speedball though.  We've been woodsball players since day one.  Seemed like there was more strategy involved.

I just bought a kayak a month ago and was hooked the first time I had it out.  There's just something about being right on the water that's really relaxing.  It's VERY popular in my area and every weekend on the Juniata river you see dozens of boats floating around.  So far most of the people I've talked to seem pretty cool.

Here's the only pic I have of my boat.  It's an Ascend sit on top and I love it!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c202/kennyrock12/DSC_0110.jpg

There's a ton of strategy involved in speedball/tourney play - it's just far different from the woodsball strategy.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#40]
So...  you might actually start posting here more often ???
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Drive north 70 miles and take a canoe trip down the Red.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I've decided to accept my fate and go on about my life the only way I know how... ::hanging head and slumping shoulders::

BY ENJOYING IT.  

I
just bought a kayak and have joined a paddling group.  We spent two
hours on the Ohio last night getting some good excercise, laughs and
watching a gorgeous sunset.

I'm also planning on getting SCUBA certified in the next month or two and planning a trip to Belize.

December is a month long membership at the rock climbing gym.

I am open to all suggestions and anecdotal stories regarding any of the above or ideas for other things I should try.

Quoted:

You will probably love scuba. It's changed our lives here. Get you some good gear though.
Bah, get the cheapest gear, it's not like your life depends on it or anything

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#43]
What's wrong? Are you sick or something?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like your on the right track. I thought about getting a kayak all summer for playing on lake Erie and never did it. I'm kicking myself now.

You've got some balls to take a kayak out on Lake Erie, that lake can be a heartless bitch, even on a clear blue day.

While whistling either the Gilligan's Island theme, or the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, either of which will quickly earn you the scorn of your fellow paddlers.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What's wrong? Are you sick or something?

Yeah, too late?  What's up?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#46]
It's in reference to jimtash's thread
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I suggest taking up nude skydiving.  With video, please.

Just remember...don't descend feet first or you'll make a loud whistling noise.

CJ

The office across from me is giving me weird looks because i am the floor laughing
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#48]
No one should go through life without having learned how to sail a boat!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got some balls to take a kayak out on Lake Erie, that lake can be a heartless bitch,  even on a clear blue day.

I live by Presque Isle, which is protected from the main lake's weather and waves.  The bay is the perfect place for a kayak with inlets and marsh areas to explore.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you are into all this and your left hand ring finger is nekkid? Are you painful to look at or something? What is your teeth to tattoo ratio?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top