Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 11:21:36 AM EDT
[URL]http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/116/2010/september/08/ri-officer-gets-40-years-for-rape-at-substation.html?fav[action]=add&fav[table]

RI officer gets 40 years for rape at substation

By: ERIC TUCKER

The Associated Press

A police officer in Rhode Island who raped a woman in an empty police substation has been sentenced to 40 years in prison.

Marcus
Huffman was sentenced Wednesday in Providence Superior Court for the
2007 rape of a woman he picked up outside a nightclub. Prosecutors say
the woman was drunk, and Huffman drove her to a nearby substation and
raped her.

The woman then walked to her aunt's house. Huffman was one of several officers who responded after 911 was called.

Superior Court Judge Netti Vogel called Huffman's actions "out of a horror movie."

His
lawyer had said during the trial that the sex was consensual, but
jurors rejected that argument. Huffman was convicted in April. He has
been suspended without pay.

He apologized in court for what he called a lapse in judgment.

September 08, 2010 12:14 PM

</table][>
 </table]>
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#1]
"apology accepted. Now enjoy being the ee instead of the ist for a few years"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Crime committed in 2007, convicted in 2010.

Fucking crazy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Fucking crazy.

A good attorney can drag shit out forever.  Look at most death row cases, which ironically could be applied here and I wouldn't mind.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#6]
rapist cop in prison.
How is that going to go for him?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
rapist cop in prison.

If he's AC/DC and a masochist, pretty well. Otherwise, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

rapist cop in prison.

Depends on if they put him in general population or not.  I doubt they will.  Someone still might get to him sooner or later though.  He should have considered that before being a piece of shit rapist.

I wonder what else he did during his career?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
rapist cop in prison.

Depends on if they put him in general population or not.  I doubt they will.  Someone still might get to him sooner or later though.  He should have considered that before being a piece of shit rapist.

I wonder what else he did during his career?

I think he'll end up being the mayor of Punk City aka protective custody.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

rapist cop in prison.

I hope it goes how I would expect it to go...

only slower, and more painful.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Should be death penalty.

+2
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking crazy.

A good attorney can drag shit out forever.  Look at most death row cases, which ironically could be applied here and I wouldn't mind.  

Not 'good attorney.'

The problem is 'soft judges,' along with bloated criminal codes that protect the perpetrators more than the victim.

I've seen a case where the defendant fired eight attorneys, and each time the judge granted continuances.  Case dragged on for nine years.  Judge finally said "ENOUGH!"

On the day of reckoning, the ninth attorney called in and said he'd fallen off a ladder.  Judge granted another continuance.  Judge should be able to say, "Tough luck, you had your chance..."

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
"Consensual sex" with a drunk doesn't exist. In CALIFORNIA for example, if you feed your date ONE BEER and have sex with her, you can go to the slam for rape!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Continuances are the price we pay for due process.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
rapist cop in prison.

he's gonna hate tuesdays....

TXL
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Consensual sex" with a drunk doesn't exist. In CALIFORNIA for example, if you feed your date ONE BEER and have sex with her, you can go to the slam for rape!

Who exactly told you this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What if you also had one beer?  Or what if the man had one beer and she was sober?  Would she go to the slam?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

a drunk chick?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a drunk chick?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder what the evidence was. Was forced used. marks on her.

Or did she just change her mind after she sobered up.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Should be death penalty.

Do you think ALL rape should be punishable by death, or do you believe this particular situation warrants it?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Should be death penalty.

Do you think ALL rape should be punishable by death, or do you believe this particular situation warrants it?

I dont know about Bama, but as long as it is a FORCIBLE rape, or as in this case, done under color of Office, then Yup. I'd have zero problem putting the guy in the ground.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Twelve people decided, based on the evidence, that she didn't just change her mind.  It's not a perfect system, but it is the best out there and most times juries get it right.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't seem like the sentence is long enough.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you a "All women are lying whores" kind of guy, or does something about this case cause you to think the victim is a lying whore?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#27]
"a lapse in judgement".......? Holy shit. Throw the guy in GP and get it over with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Should be death penalty.

Yup, prison's too good for him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should be death penalty.

+2

+3
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Not long enough since he will be out in just over half that with good behavior, if he lives that long.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#34]
A lapse of judgment?  Fuck that.  A lapse in judgment is buying light beer, not picking up a drunk barfly and forcibly raping her down at the local cop shop.

Seriously, if that wasn't so goddam outrageous it would be hilarious.

And another WTF is the woman.  When you go to a bar, get drunk and leave with a guy you HAVE to know that one way or another you're going to be involved in at least one, if not multiple, sex acts.  Saying "I changed my mind" after arriving at his love nest usually won't work.  Just sayin....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Should be death penalty.

Now normally I'd be alright with this,him being a cop and all(you know,cops should be held to a higher standard where trust and good judgement is involved).
But what if it WAS consensual? Still doesn't make it ok since he was on-duty. But 40 years?
Please don't get me wrong I'm a rabid copbasher when they fuck up. But this makes ne wonder. Did she have bruises? Was she beat up?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#37]
So the drunk driver that killed 27 people got 16 years?

How the fuck does that work?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should be death penalty.

Now normally I'd be alright with this,him being a cop and all(you know,cops should be held to a higher standard where trust and good judgement is involved).
But what if it WAS consensual? Still doesn't make it ok since he was on-duty. But 40 years?
Please don't get me wrong I'm a rabid copbasher when they fuck up. But this makes ne wonder. Did she have bruises? Was she beat up?

12 jurors said there was enough evidence to show it was not consensual.  Why do people always second guess rape victims, even after a jury trial?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should be death penalty.

Because we all know that thevjury ALWAYS gets it right. Just like OJ.

I know the system isn't perfect. That's why I ask.

12 jurors said there was enough evidence to show it was not consensual.  Why do people always second guess rape victims, even after a jury trial?

Because we all know the jury always gets it right. Just like OJ. I know the system isn't perfect. That's why I ask.
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - RI officer gets 40 years for rape at substation
Page General » General Discussion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top