Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 11:14:02 AM EDT
1.  What/where is the best cheesesteak place again?
2.  Will I be able to CCW in the city since PA honors VA permits?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1. Geno's or Tony Lukes. Geno's is the original and the owner is a very patriotic man. He used to sell shirts that said "Fry Mumia".  
2. I'm inclined to say yes, but you're best off calling the state police or something.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll give Geno's a try.

I was there in 2006 and went out bar hopping and couldn't find my way back to the hotel.  I finally asked a bum and he gave me the right directions.  

(The piece does not go out drinking with me.  So we can put that to rest now.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Pat's is better.   Fight on.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
There have been several cases of Philadelphia police confiscating legal guns from non-resident CCW holders .

so make sure you be careful
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
1) Tony Luke is a poser, but he makes the best tourist steak in town.  If you want "the real deal" go to either a hole-in-the-wall bar or a corner joint that sells out of a window.  I really dig the South Philly Taproom.  Their steak is only 8-9/10 but the beer is excellent and the service is good.
1a) Someone that thinks they know steaks is going to reply to this thread and suggest you go to D'Allessandro's.  That may have been true 10 years ago, but with popularity comes great responsibility.  You should still go if you're in the area, it's a great steak, but for "best?"  I dunno.  It's close, though.

2) You're not "supposed to" CCW.  
2a) Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I got my non-resident PA permit from Centre County in 2006.  I guess you don't technically need it anymore (I guess I don't either) since VA signed a reciprocity agreement, but it's cheap and very fast to get.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Steakum's

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't carry last time because I wasn't sure of the atmosphere and was sure the city wouldn't allow it.  But there were times when I was out exploring the city at night that I would have felt much more comfortable with one regardless (I just had to see the Rocky statue, Liberty Bell and Ben Frank's grave).  I noticed there were a couple of shady looking characters following me and sort of casing me out when I'd get on some of the more uncrowded streets.

Lots of people there with me were complimenting how much cleaner Philly has gotten.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
<––- Center City Philadelphia resident.

1.  There is no undisputed king of cheesesteaks here.  It's like arguing over chili and beans.  I would try them all and see which one you like the best.  For new visitors in town I will usually direct them to Jim's Steaks on South Street.  It's in a touristy area so it's easy to find.  Pat's and Geno's are good too but they're a bit out of the way for most tourists, who are usually staying in Center City.

Edit:  the big advantage to Pat's and Geno's is that they are almost across the street from each other.  Further, they are next to the Italian Market, so if you go during the day you can check out the offerings at the Market and eat a few steaks.  Pat's and Geno's are open late; there were times in my college days when we would take a cab down there at 0300 and get a steak from each place.  Good times.  

2.  I'm not up to date on which states have reciprocity with PA but another poster has mentioned that some Philly cops aren't exactly tops when it comes to knowing the specific laws on guns.  I'd keep things discreet as much as possible.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
2) You're not "supposed to" CCW.  
2a) Concealed means concealed.

I routinely carry in philadelphia, what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Pennsylvania does honor our permits. I don't know if they have some jacked up thing going on in Philly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I have some relatives that are living there temporarily. We went out to visit for a week and I went on an artery-clogging cheesesteak binge. Went to all the big name places including Tony Lukes. Best by far was a place called Chubby's. I was a little hole-in-the-wall joint just down the road from the relatives. Wife wants to go visit again this year. I'm going just to eat Chubby's for a week straight. (Huh. That's a phrase I never imagined I would ever say.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to listen to WPHT on line streaming all the time.  Geno was always an advertiser with some great ads.  For his adds and the rally he helped sponsor this summer, Tea Party and anti illegal immigration, I would go if only to shake his hand.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck the cheese steak all together.
Tony Lukes chicken cutlet sammich with sharp provolone and broc rabbe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#16]
1. Steves Steaks in the Northeast...

2. The stupid fucking cops gave me a hard time before at a traffic stop as a PA CCW holder (luckily they didn't see the 4 AR's and other rifles in the back...ammo separate of course), thus I learned, just don't let the cop know you have a gun during a traffic stop.  Since you wouldn't be breaking the law, and if the need arose that you actually needed your CCW for defense, it doesn't much matter if you have to fight the good fight in court to get your gun back or whatever punishment comes with it.  I so go for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania does honor our permits. I don't know if they have some jacked up thing going on in Philly.

Pennsylvania has a preemption law. The CCW rules are the same in Philly as the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pennsylvania has a preemption law. The CCW rules are the same in Philly as the rest of the state.

All this is well and good until you run into some Philly cop that doesn't play by the rules.

Do not be totally astonished to find out that it costs you $2400 to retieve a $600 pistol after it is illegally impounded.

and that is if you are lucky enough for it to wind up in the property locker.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top